Langer's Delicatessen - Beyond the Legendary Pastrami... Corned Beef Hash, Matzo Ball Soup and Lamb Shanks?

Sounds like an 88 with pastrami is the ticket…

2 Likes

And another one.

4 Likes

Look what my friend had delivered to Colorado! :grin: All the fixins for Corned Beef and Pastrami Sandwiches.

14 Likes

One can opt to get half or a whole loaf of their rye bread instead of the slices. This way one can simulate the double baked crusty outside and soft inside results without drying the inside while reheating the pre-sliced bread.

6 Likes

Langer’s is temporarily closed because an employee got Covid.

Their website says they’re closed at least through Thanksgiving.

“ LANGER’S STATEMENT ON OUR TEMPORARY CLOSURE

To our valued customers and friends:

We are temporarily closed out of an abundance of caution after an employee tested positive for COVID-19. As soon as we learned of this, every employee was tested.

We will remain closed until after Thanksgiving to demonstrate our commitment to staying safe and promoting health. While we could open sooner, we believe this temporary change is the right decision for our loyal customers, our employees and the community.

Each employee who may have been in close contact with the affected team member has been asked to self-quarantine. As a family-run business, it is our highest priority to support the health and well-being of our employees and the greater community.

Our staff remains vigilant in all aspects of workplace and health safety. We diligently follow the recommendations of local, state, and federal health authorities.

We have taken several precautionary steps with our staff beyond our customary, stringent practices, including reinforcing best practices regarding hygiene and illness prevention. Hand sanitizer is readily available at all high-touch points throughout the restaurant, and we have increased the frequency of cleaning and disinfection in all areas.

We have ensured all cleaning chemicals align with EPA recommendations, and we have an experienced in-house team assigned during and after business hours dedicated to cleaning, sanitizing, and disinfecting the restaurant to the highest standards.

We take this responsibility very seriously and will continue to monitor expert recommendations and implement enhanced practices as necessary.

We genuinely appreciate the community’s trust and support, and we deeply sympathize with those impacted by this outbreak.

All of us at Langer’s send our best wishes for a healthy recovery for all.”

13 Likes

Good lord! Stay safe & healthy everyone!

6 Likes

Oy vey. There goes my lunch plans. Wishing all safe passage through these times.

8 Likes

They were also closed last weekend (or the weekend b/f) b/c they ran out of inventory. Hoping their employee recovers w/o complication!

5 Likes

Oh man! I am thinking of them, and hoping all are managing as best they can. Even reading the word “Langers” makes me want a half sandwich with a cup of matzoh ball soup.

4 Likes

Peony: We ordered a pastrami sandwich and the whitefish appetizer for brunch today. The pastrami sandwich was indeed very tasty. The beef was prepared beautifully — very tender and flavorful and had the right fat-to-meat ratio. The combination of Swiss cheese with the pastrami worked really well together. In comparison to the pastrami, the flavor of the whitefish was not very impressive. But if you are into nuanced flavor, you might appreciate it more than I did.

Warrior: The overall quality level of today’s meal was low, except for the pastrami, which was so good that it made the meal worthwhile. The pastrami had a delicious richness, which perfectly complimented its light spicing. This is the only pastrami I’ve ever eaten, so I can’t compare it to other pastrami, but I don’t doubt it is the best pastrami in the world. The rye bread was just passable in quality, but it worked well with the pastrami. I thought the whitefish was bad. It tasted gritty, likely a result of freezing and defrosting. The toasted bagel was barely passable. Wexler’s offers far better whitefish and bagel. The veggies accompanying the whitefish were low quality (tasteless tomatoes, canned black olives, etc.). The atmosphere was dreary, reminding me of cafeterias in the rural South, where I grew up. What some people consider quaint, I consider depressing. The service was excellent — very nice people. Overall, I would not return, but I can understand how some folks (particularly, fans of red meat and folksy culture) would appreciate this restaurant.

3 Likes

There’s a thin line between quaint and depressing, especially if you don’t step carefully through the minefield.

There’s no cheese on the pastrami sandwich. Sounds like you ordered the abomination, which shits on perfection with average cole slaw and supermarket cheese.

2 Likes

Peony: I was also curious to see a thin cheese layer between the bread and pastrami in the sandwich, too. But this combination works for me and I enjoyed it :smile:

1 Like

I like the contrast between the sweet/tang/crunch of the coleslaw and dressing with the rich pastrami. I don’t love mustard, so I’m not a fan of just pastrami/mustard/rye. #19 FTW for me.

8 Likes

I don’t put mustard on mine either. Overpowers the pastrami.

Ready to scream? I like pastrami with swiss on rye with mustard and MAYO… Slaw on the side so I can add the amount I want… or not.

8 Likes

Still waiting for the #65 to make an appearance on FTC.

2 Likes

#1 is #19 without the cheese and had been my go to for decades but lately i am all about the pastrami french dip. i don’t miss the rye and the jus complements rather than overpowers the way mustard or dressing would. so good.

yeah, no

5 Likes

Not quite as bad as Annie Hall… but almost.

3 Likes

almost…lol.

besides the fact that pastrami on rye doesn’t actually NEED anything else except for a schmer of mustard, I’m not a fan of coleslaw at all. I just don’t like the combo of bitter cabbage and a ton of mayo

3 Likes