Langer's pastrami

Yet another example of our poor educational system and the general dumbing-down of our society. (We are all winners!) Try ordering a third of a pound of meat at the deli and see what happens. I’ve been given between .18 lb and .78 lb, because the person behind the counter seems to understand neither fractions nor decimals, let alone the relationship between the two. (And yes, I’ve tried ordering .3 lb or .4 lb, and also received blank stares.) Apparently I need to stick to quarter-pound or half-pound orders because that’s what the help understands.
I read somewhere that a McDonalds competitor tried to market a 1/3 lb burger, but failed because too many people thought that it was less meat than 1/4 lb.

7 Likes
7 Likes

Some marketing type working for Toho.

3 Likes

I agree that Langer’s is not good and education is a waste of money and human resources.

You’re only agreeing with yourself there. What is the sound of one thumb downing?

11 Likes

:crazy_face:

1 Like

Split a corned beef and a pastrami the other day for lunch. As incredible as always. What do they do differently? Why is the pastrami and corned beef at Langer’s SO good, while the same at Fromin’s, Izzy’s (RIP), Wise Sons, etc. is barely edible? Other than Langer’s, the only other deli in LA I find to have excellent corned beef and pastrami is Brent’s.

5 Likes

Read the article I linked to in the first post of this topic.

2 Likes

Thanks, that answered pretty much all of my questions. Equal parts ingredient sourcing, preparation and love.

And slicing skills.

And the double-baked rye bread takes it over the top.

6 Likes

My late sister always made a point of picking up a few loaves of that double-baked rye when she visited L.A. from San Bernardino.

6 Likes

As detailed in the article I linked to in the first post, what makes the rye bread special at Langer’s is they keep it in a warming drawer. If you get it to go it"s no better than buying it direct from Fred’s.

2 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: Cafe Sierra’s infamous prime rib buffet: threat or menace?