Late Night Comfort Food - Organic Fried Chicken, Mac & Cheese, Collard Greens, Red Beans & Rice at Comfort LA (Downtown)

Ever since the loss of Flossie’s, I’ve been looking for a suitable replacement. If there’s word about a good Fried Chicken joint, I’ll probably go try it. :stuck_out_tongue: So hearing @ipsedixit wax on about a new place in Downtown L.A. serving ipse-recommended Fried Chicken had me intrigued.

Initially Comfort LA might seem a bit off-putting: Its storefront is a tiny window facing 7th Street in an underdeveloped part of Downtown L.A. (to be fair just a few blocks down the street is hipster-friendly Bestia, so it should be only a matter of time before the whole block where Comfort LA is might be upgraded).

But it has its own parking lot with friendly picnic tables, Christmas lights, and the Comfort LA kitchen firing up a fun, lively hip-hop soundtrack (with speakers in the parking lot). :smile:

The staff at Comfort LA, while operating out of a tiny kitchen are super-friendly and nice. Some of the nicest “welcome!” banter since Kevin Bludso welcomed me to Bludso’s when we first visited years ago.

Their menu is limited but pretty eye-opening considering its humble origins:

We started with a side of Wings (Mary’s Organic Chicken(!) which the menu describes as “Not Your Average Fried Chicken topped with ‘That Sauce’”):

The sauce looks spicy, but the woman at the register assured us that it wasn’t really spicy. She was right.

The Organic Chicken Wings are crunchy, crispy and DELISH! Their proprietary sauce adds a touch of spice, sweetness and tanginess.

Dinner Plate: 5 Pieces of Mary’s Organic Fried Chicken Wings (with 2 Sides):

I ordered the Dinner Plate with the sauce on the side, since I like the pure taste of Fried Chicken sometimes. :smile: Having tried both, I think I actually like Comfort LA’s Fried Chicken Wings without the sauce. It’s well-seasoned, not too salty (thank goodness), and a touch sweet (nothing off-putting). It was DELICIOUS!

Crunchy, crispy fresh Fried Chicken goodness! LOL

Cousin Kina’s Tasty Mac & Cheese:

Their Mac & Cheese was OK. It wasn’t very creamy, more on the lightly cheesy side. I thought it was better than Flossie’s, but I didn’t think Flossie’s was that good (I loved their other sides more).

Organic Clean Mean Greens:

Another nice touch: Using Organic Greens for their comfort food side. The Greens were really tender and very fresh and not too salty either (yay). The only ding for me was that these Greens lean on the “Sweet & Tangy” style of Collard Greens. I like my Greens more on the savory side, but other than that it was good.

My Momma’s Beans & Rice:

I’ve had so many mediocre Red Beans & Rice sides at various joints, but Comfort LA’s Red Beans & Rice is savory, smoky and just a cup of awesome! LOL Loved it.

The one odd thing about Comfort LA is its odd hours: It’s only open on weekends -

Friday, Saturday: 8:00 p.m. - 3:00 a.m.!
Sunday: 3:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.

But for the quality of the Organic Fried Chicken Wings we tasted, we all agreed we’d be back. Thanks @ipsedixit!

Comfort LA
1801 E. 7th Street
Los Angeles, CA 90021
(213) 948-1146

5 Likes

Here’s a Comfort LA hack a bunch of us discovered a couple of weeks ago.

Order the cornbread, and top it with some of their candied yams.

It’s like sweet potato pie meets strawberry shortcake, without the pie crust and the strawberries. But then, who cares. You’ve got carbo-bomb that’s sort of healthy (2 servings of whole grains and vegetables, at least).

Glad you enjoyed it.

2 Likes