Legendary Fried Chicken & Nashville Hot Chicken Hits L.A. - Howlin' Ray's New Restaurant!

a shrimp po boy and a muffuletta count as sides right?

3 Likes

Hi @TheCookie,

As @theoffalo itā€™s rotating 1 market side per day. The 2 Iā€™ve tried so far were good (Cucumber Dill Salad with Creme Fraiche; Macerated Berries with Lemon Zest).

I hope they start doing stuff like Collard Greens, etc.

@Chowseeker1999 - Yes, she was hoping for Collard Greens, Yams, etc. She lives in Woodland Hillsā€¦ not a lot of southern food.

So I made it to HR this weekend. The chix sandwich was awesome as ever but still wasnā€™t hot enough. I got hot and it barely made me sweat. I think XHot next time. Or should I just go for the gusto?

Line wasnā€™t too bad. About 40 minutes total from line to food in mouth.

Get the Xhot and ask if you could have a little of the Howlin on the side to try.

1 Like

Hi @A5KOBE,

Nice! Wow, Level 4 ā€œHotā€ wasnā€™t spicy enough for you? LOL. :smile:

Yah try Level 5 ā€œX-Hotā€ - thatā€™s the one with all 3 insane chilies - Ghost Pepper, Red Habanero and Carolina Reapers. Please remember to survive long enough to write a report back to us on the experience. :wink:

@TheCookie, thereā€™s a couple places to get Southern sides near Woodland Hills. My first choice is Lucilleā€™s at The Village ā€“ I love their collard greens, potato salad and mac and cheese. The cornbread is good too. Thereā€™s also Les Sisters, which has good sides (also love their collard greens with the pepper vinegar) but the mains arenā€™t great.

Here is a picture for reference, does it look like Hot level? @Chowseeker1999 ?

Either way Iā€™m gonna try your suggestion @theoffalo

2 Likes

Momā€™s Barbecue in Van Nuys has good sides and fried chicken (not in Howling Rayā€™s class). Donā€™t care for their bbq though. There is a new southern restaurant, Black Bottom, opening soon in North Hollywood. Hope it will be good as I love southern cooking.

1 Like

That does not look red enough to be HOT.

Agree.
I must have had the sauce with those Carolina Reapers at Alibi. It was fucking Volcanic.

Damn. I think they may have mixed the little stickers up cuz the person I was with ordered Med and was suffering, like eyes watery, runny nose and sweating. :joy: I definitely ate the sandwich with the ā€œhotā€ sticker and it was nothing. Like I didnā€™t even have to slow down and take a breather from the heat. Should I try ā€œHotā€ again and ask for the ā€œXHotā€ on the side? I am not a chili fiend.

Pretty sure that is what happened. Hahaha

1 Like

What level did you get?

Will be going back this Sunday, havenā€™t been since the soft opening. Hope the line wonā€™t be too bad. Medium was a good level of spice for me, maybe a little too spicy at times. I would like to think I have a decent tolerance for spice, since I regularly eat at Cheng Du taste, usually end up sweaty, but nothing I canā€™t handle.

@A5KOBE sure sounds like a mix-up. Self described chili fiends have cried at the XHOT, I was panting and drooling the first time I had it. If you donā€™t consider yourself one, then the XHOT should have at least given you pauseā€¦

@ilykejordans get there 15m before opening at 11am if you can. Get the chicken and waffles. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi @ilykejordans,

Yah I second @theoffaloā€™s suggestion. Try some of their Fried Chicken (non-wings). If you get Waffles, eat it fast while itā€™s crispy. So good! :slight_smile:

@A5KOBE that def sounds like what happened LOL. :laughing: Good luck on the next heat try!

1 Like

It was either level 3 or 4, probably 3 'cause I was warned by @theoffalo in advance.
But I think they made it a 5 accidentally - it is just not possible that there is a level hotter than what I had.
My lips continued to burn for more than an hour after eating.

2 Likes

is it still crowded?

Exactly. Headed there myself later today. Trying to balance the line and them running out.

1 Like

Here right now, will probably say there are around 80 heads