Legendary Fried Chicken & Nashville Hot Chicken Hits L.A. - Howlin' Ray's New Restaurant!

I remember trying Howlin’ Ray’s Nashville Hot Chicken when they had a food truck roaming the city last year. It was pretty darn good, and when news came that they shut down their truck in order to finally build out a brick-and-mortar restaurant, it was a bittersweet day, because we were denied some solid Fried Chicken for many months.

But as of today, Howlin’ Ray’s Nashville Hot Chicken’s new restaurant has their grand opening! We couldn’t wait! :slight_smile:

Opening in Far East Plaza in Chinatown / Downtown L.A., it’s a smart move, as that center has become a magnet for hip / interest-driving eateries from Chef Roy Choi’s Chego to Egg Slut’s Ramen endeavor, Ramen Champ, to Unit 120, the Pop-Up / Rotating Restaurant Concept Test Kitchen and more.

Chef Johnny Ray Zone has worked under chefs like Thomas Keller and Gordon Ramsey, and I think it shows in the subtleties of the spices of their Fried Chicken.

The vibe of the restaurant is fun and energetic, with Ray Charles on the soundtrack, all the way up to Hip-Hop.

Peach Ice Tea:

Unsweetened, but fragrant. Simple and refreshing.

You can order their Fried Chicken in quarters, so a Breast & Wing, or Leg & Thigh, or in packs of Wings, or as a Sandwich.

Fried Chicken White (Breast & Wing), “Country” Style (No Heat):

It’s piping hot and I take a bite: WOW! The crust is crunchy, crispy, nicely seasoned, not too salty (thank goodness, unlike so many chicken joints these days). They use All-Natural, Hormone & Antibiotic Free, Mary’s Air Chilled Chicken from Pitman Farms, and it shows:

The Breast meat is perfectly cooked, still juicy, tender, and not overcooked at all! This is seriously the best Fried Chicken in L.A. right now! SO GOOD! :heart:

Even the attached Fried Chicken Wing is still juicy and not overcooked either, which is impressive. :slight_smile:

Fried Chicken Dark (Leg & Thigh), “Mild” Style (Brush of Heat):

So besides just delicious Fried Chicken (no spice), Howlin’ Ray’s specializes in “Nashville Hot Chicken” which seems to be a trend in that part of America for Fried Chicken hit with some Spicy Sauce. Howlin’ offers 6 levels of Spiciness, so after trying Level 1 (Country - No Spice), we tried Level 2 “Mild” which they describe as a “Brush of Heat.”

I was worried initially because during their Food Truck days (early on), I got the Mild once, and it was inferno-hell, LOL. :laughing: But thanks to @theoffalo for the encouragement (and from feedback of later visits), it seems to be tuned better. And at their new restaurant?

Much better! Their Mild (level 2) spiciness is truly just a touch spicy, with notes of Paprika, a dusting of Chili Powder, and just a mild, slow-building warm heat as you eat. No immediate burn, and even the after effects are delicate. It’s seductive and tasty. :slight_smile:

I’d say it’s not even Jitlada Level 1 spiciness (although that’s a different type of chili, just to try and give people an idea).

And it’s delicious!

Fried Chicken Dark (Leg & Thigh), “Medium” Style (“Feel the Burn”):

Moving on to Level 3 - Medium - which the menu describes as “Feel the Burn”, it is noticeably different. The heat hits you immediately (not a slow, back of the throat burn like Level 2), and your lips start burning. But it’s manageable still. It feels like it’s barely a Jitlada Level 2 or 1.5. There’s also a more noticeable sweetness from a touch of Brown Sugar that Chef Johnny uses, but not distracting at all. It adds to the savoriness actually.

And like the Breast portion, the Hot Fried Chicken is juicy, tender, and succulent!

Hot Shake Fries (Crinkle Cut, Hot Shake):

Their Hot Shake Fries are actually not spicy, more like Seasoned Fries than anything, with a nice, straightforward Crinkle Cut French Fry and a dash of Paprika, Pepper and other spices. Not too salty either, which is great.

Next time, I’ll have to try their Level 4 “Hot” (“Burn, Baby, Burn”), but Level 5 and 6, I’ll leave to the Chili-Heads on FTC. :laughing: I’m too scared.

Note: The one downside to Nashville Hot Chicken is that you lose a bit of the crunch and crispiness since they have to throw on a liquid Spicy Sauce onto the Fried Chicken. But eat it straight away and the loss is minimized and delicious! :slight_smile:

I like how Chef Zone has worked to improve his Fried Chicken. Howlin’ Ray’s new restaurant’s version is improved and better than their food truck days. So if you’re in the mood for good ol’ traditional Fried Chicken, order their “Country” (No Spice) and bask in the glory of L.A.‘s Best Fried Chicken (IMHO). Especially since Flossie’s is gone, there’s nothing I crave more right now than Howlin’ Ray’s Fried Chicken! :heart:

Initial Hours (extended Hours will be added once they settle in):

Wed - Sun
11:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.

Howlin’ Ray’s Nashville Hot Chicken
727 N. Broadway Ave #128
Los Angeles, CA 90012
Tel: (213) 935-8399

Update 1:

Decided to go back today to see how consistent they might be, and to try the Sandwich @theoffalo @Haeldaur @A5KOBE all recommended.

Note: We showed up around 1:30 p.m. and the line was about 20 deep, LOL. Waited about 40 minutes in line, but finally got in. At around 2:30 p.m. it was calmed down (only 7 people in line).

Fried Chicken Dark (Leg & Thigh), “Country” Style (No Heat):

We had the Breast & Wing last time, so I wanted to try their traditional Fried Chicken (no sauce) for dark meat.

Delicious yet again! :slight_smile: The Fried Chicken has a crunch and is crisp on the outside, and tender, juicy and well-seasoned on the inside.

They were sold out of their Fried Chicken Sandwich! :frowning: Apparently it was their morning delivery of their buns for the Sandwich that never made it, so we opted to try the next level of heat.

Fried Chicken Dark (Leg & Thigh), “Hot” Style (“Burn, Baby, Burn”), Level 4:

Note the darker, ominous crimson coloring… I was thinking Level 3 “Medium” was fine, so how bad could Level 4 be?

Woo! This was beyond Jitlada’s Level 4 (which is really bad). :open_mouth:

Taking the first bite, it seemed only lightly spicy, but there was an immediate burn. But then after a few seconds… Oh yah! WOW! I started to sweat. This serious burn and heat started hitting me, and I started sniffling, LOL. A few seconds after that, I couldn’t feel my mouth! :cry: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

About 45 minutes later (after I stopped eating), was able to feel my lips again. :slight_smile:

But seriously, I think I got that “capsaicin high” that people talk about, because I wanted to keep eating a bit more of the Chicken. It was delicious, but not overly painful actually, just a monstrous burn.

I found out that for Level 4 they add the infamous Ghost Pepper! Wow. :open_mouth:

Pro Tip: Do not attempt to rub your eyes unless you thoroughly wash your hands (repeatedly), LOL. :laughing:

We were originally going to attempt Level 5 “X-Hot” (“You’ve Been Warned!”), but found out for Level 5 they use a blend of Ghost Pepper, Red Habaneros, and Carolina Reaper Chilies! :fearful: The server warned us it’s “9 out of 10” for spicy.

And that Level 6 “Howlin!” (“Can’t Touch This. 10++”) is not to be messed with, LOL.

For all the FTC Chili-heads please report back on this experience, I won’t be ordering that. :wink:

Cucumber & Sweet Onions with Creme Fraiche:

It was fortuitous their Daily Market Side dish was a cool Cucumber & Sweet Onions Salad. Phew! The cooling power of the chilled Cucumbers with fresh Dill and the Creme Fraiche helped to calm the inferno that was their Level 4 “Hot” Style Chicken. :slight_smile:

It was refreshing, cooling and fragrant.

Howlin’ Ray’s continues to deliver some delicious Fried Chicken. I can’t wait to go back and try all of the FTC’ers recommended Fried Chicken Sandwich next time.

Wed - Sun

727 N. Broadway Ave #128
Los Angeles, CA 90012

Update 2:

Hearing so many recommendations for their Fried Chicken Sandwich, I wanted to go back (and drag some other friends with me to try it out). :slight_smile:

The Sandwich (Boneless Breast, Slaw, Comeback Sauce, Pickles, Butter Bun):

Visually from seeing @theoffalo’s pics, and seeing it in person, I knew this was going to be special. It wasn’t some cookie-cutter, preformed perfectly round patty seen in fast food joints. Nope, Howlin’ Ray’s version is rustic and rugged and organically shaped, LOL. Took a bite.

Wow! @theoffalo @Haeldaur @A5KOBE were right! This was a fantastic Fried Chicken Sandwich! :blush: This thing puts to shame every other Fried Chicken Sandwich I’ve had so far! It makes the gourmet Fried Chicken Sandwiches at the trendy places around town feel like Chick fil A, seriously.

It’s crunchy, juicy, moist and tender. Chef Zone has tenderized the Fried Chicken Breast so you get this pleasing bite of lean, but juicy and supple Chicken Breast with each bite. It’s saltier than their traditional Fried Chicken, probably from the Comeback Sauce, but it has a nice crunch from the Pickles, the Butter Bun is soft and tender and when I think about the “Mother Clucker” I had at Belcampo (which has their own all-natural Chickens), it puts it to shame.

Belcampo’s Mother Clucker:

Belcampo’s was soggy breading, extremely bland meat (inside), and not very satisfying at all.

Back to Howlin’ Ray’s wonderfulness… on Weekends Only, they serve…

Fried Chicken & Waffles:

Chef Zone makes each Waffle to order, piping hot and fresh, and it shows. Their housemade Waffles are SO GOOD! It’s toasted, crisped, yet fluffy on the inside, and light and airy! Seriously some of the best Waffles I’ve had in a long time. :heart:

You have a choice of any section of the All-Natural, Cage-Free Chicken, so I chose Dark (Leg & Thigh). Chef Zone mentions that they’re making their Chickens in smaller and smaller batches to keep it piping hot, and wow it was piping hot, just out of the fryer!

We got it Country Style (No Spice), and even on this 3rd visit, their Chicken is still my favorite. Crispy, crunchy exterior, mouth-wateringly tender, fresh-tasting Chicken on the inside. And it tastes light (not greasy), with a clean Peanut Oil flavor, which lends fragrance.

Howlin’ Ray’s not only makes the best Fried Chicken in L.A., they make the best Chicken & Waffles with those fresh Waffles. :slight_smile:

Market Side: Macerated Berries + Lemon Zest:

Their Market Side today was fresh Macerated Berries with Lemon Zest. The blend of Strawberries, Blueberries and Raspberries were sweet, but not overly sweet, and the Lemon Zest added a nice counter flavor (tart, citrus) to the side. It was delicious.

I can’t believe they just opened, as Chef Johnny Zone is running a clean, well-organized kitchen (you can hear them barking out orders and keeping things moving along at a good pace). Howlin’ Ray’s = Awesome Fried Chicken. Can’t wait to go back! :slight_smile:

Wed - Sun

727 N. Broadway Ave #128
Los Angeles, CA 90012

Update 3:

Had a craving for more awesome Fried Chicken so we had to stop by again this weekend. :slight_smile:

Corn & Black Bean Salad:

Today’s Market Side (there were 2), was Corn and Black Bean Salad. Chef Zone is definitely showing off some prowess with his Market Sides, as they aren’t simply afterthoughts. Instead, this is yet another excellent daily side dish: The Black Beans add a heartiness to the Salad and then Corn is sweet and a great balance. A bit of fresh Lime adds a citrusy note, and this is a great match for the Fried Chicken.

Fried Chicken White (Breast & Wing), “Country” Style (No Heat), Level 1:

Great news: Howlin’ Ray’s has been only improving, they are making their Fried Chicken in smaller and smaller batches, so it was crispy and piping hot! Crunchy, crisp outer crust, juicy, well-seasoned, savory Chicken Breast inside! Delicious! :blush:

Fried Chicken Wings (3), “Mild” Style (Brush of Heat), Level 2:

Mild (Level 2) was perfect for just a touch of spiciness to the already delicious Fried Chicken. :slight_smile: I think I just love their traditional, pure Fried Chicken the most, but if I want a little bit of heat, I’d go with Mild (Level 2) or Medium (Level 3). They were juicy, crispy on the outside, great stuff! :slight_smile:

Pork & Beans (Market Side 2):

Chef Zone actually had 2 Market Sides today (usually there’s just 1), and initially I was thinking, “Baked Beans? No thanks.” But talking with the front of the house, she mentioned their Beans weren’t the typical Sweet BBQ Beans one might be thinking of, so we ordered it.

So glad we did! These were AWESOME! Savory Beans with luscious chunks of Pork Belly! :open_mouth: These were seriously the best Pork & Beans I’ve ever had, but then again I’m no expert. They weren’t that overly sweet type you find in many Southern style restaurants. Just a great depth of seasoning and flavor and luscious! :slight_smile:

Note: I heard Chef Zone mention that their Level 6 Howlin’ (Max Heat Level) contains Trinidad Scorpion Peppers (known as the hottest chili pepper in the world, dethroning the Ghost Pepper a few years ago) as well as Ghost Peppers, Red Habenero and Carolina Reapers. Wow. :open_mouth:

Howlin’ Ray’s continues to rock. I can’t wait to go back. :slight_smile:

Wed - Sun

727 N. Broadway Ave #128
Los Angeles, CA 90012

Update 4:

Since @Bigmouth was asking about how the wait was, I figured I’d stop by and see what it was like… and try some more great Fried Chicken. :wink:

We showed up around 1:30 p.m. on a weekday, and the line wasn’t too bad, only 15 people (took about 15 - 20 min).

I’m so glad we decided to go.

Market Side #1: Poblano Potato Salad:

So far, Chef Zone’s Market Sides (rotating selection of Side Dishes made fresh daily) have been excellent, and his Poblano Potato Salad is no different.

It’s creamy, but light, soft (but not too soft) Potatoes, and the Poblano Peppers add more of its excellent aroma than too much heat. It’s one of the better Potato Salads I’ve had recently. :slight_smile: Paging @bulavinaka.

Fried Chicken Dark (Leg & Thigh), “Country” Style (Level 1 - No Heat):

Tender, juicy, fresh, with crispy, crunchy exterior… just awesome Fried Chicken yet again! :slight_smile: I’m so glad Howlin’ Ray’s is still making great food. So worth it! :slight_smile:

Market Side #2: Nacho Mac & Cheese:

The name sounds hilarious and initially I was wondering if Chef Zone might be making something wacky for wacky’s sake. The first bite yields best Mac & Cheese I’ve had this year! :slight_smile: :heart:

It’s creamy, cheesy, so interesting. It evokes the feeling of “Nachos” as we find out from Chef Zone it’s a homemade blend of Cheddar, Mozzarella and a fresh Bechamel Sauce, along with those Pickled Jalapenos that you normally associate with “movie theater nachos” or 7-11 nachos, LOL. It’s a brilliant idea, just elevated.

The Jalapenos add more of that unmistakable fragrance to each bite than any major spicy heat (just a subtle heat). But seriously, we couldn’t stop eating this! :blush:

Usually too many of these Mac & Cheese sides at even my favorite places (like Flossie’s back in the day) were just so-so. Not bad, not great. Or many Mac & Cheese blends are too dry, or too much Cheese, not creamy enough. Or all liquid / creamy with no Cheese. Not Howlin’ Ray’s version. It’s really delicious.

But I’ll let @Dommy and all the other FTC Mac & Cheese fanatics decide. If you see it for the Daily Market Side, it’s worth an order.

Wed - Sun

727 N. Broadway Ave #128
Los Angeles, CA 90012

Update 5:

We had the craving for great Fried Chicken so it was time for a return…

It should be noted the wait is a bit crazier now, with Chef Zone deserving all of the great business the restaurant is getting nowadays. The line was moving faster than our previous 6 visits.

Fried Chicken Dark (Leg & Thigh), “Country” Style (Level 1 - No Heat):

We were afraid that increased business and months later might have an effect on Howlin’ Ray’s, but looking at our piping hot pieces of Fried Chicken, the perfect crunchy crust, the tender, juicy, wonderfully seasoned interior of this high-quality Chicken and our fears were allayed.

Howlin’ Ray’s Fried Chicken is even better than ever! :blush:

The natural juices from the Fried Chicken, the right balance of salt, pepper and the brine, it’s just the right amount of salinity without it being the grossly oversalted stuff found in too many Fried Chicken joints these days.

Fried Chicken Wings, “Country” Style (Level 1 - No Heat):

The Wings were also cooked just right: The fact that their Chicken Breast, Leg & Thigh and their Wings are always coming out of the fryer at different times, to ensure a proper finish without being overcooked says a lot about the way Chef Zone runs his kitchen.

Each bite of the Fried Chicken Wing was flawless: That perfect crackling crunch of the exterior and juicy Chicken Wing meat inside, and like the Leg & Thigh today, was just right in terms of salt level, thankfully never too salty. :slight_smile: @CiaoBob there’s no “helmet crust” here. :slight_smile:

We couldn’t stop eating their Chicken! :slight_smile:

Market Side: Collard Greens (with Pork Belly):

Finally! I remember hearing from some friends who tried Howlin’ Ray’s Collard Greens before, but with their Market Side changing daily, we kept missing it. Not today!

Slow stewed, soft, supple Collard Greens, cooked for hours with Smoked Turkey Necks and Pork Belly(!) :open_mouth:, result in the most delicious Collard Greens I’ve ever had at any of these Southern / Fried Chicken joints, it’s not even close.

The Smoked Turkey Necks give the Collard Greens a bit of smokiness, but also this interesting poultry backnote. And then imagine succulent, super tender chunks of Pork Belly stewed with the Greens, to give it a lush mouthfeel, a bit of fattiness that elevates Howlin’ Ray’s “Collard Greens” into something far better. Chef Zone’s Collard Greens are the “Howlin’ Ray’s level of excellence” that all other Greens should be compared to. SO GOOD! :heart:

As others have reported, Howlin’ Ray’s was nice enough to hand out free Chilled Watermelon to everyone in line, which was a nice gesture. Chef Zone and staff continue to deliver legendary Fried Chicken that is seemingly only improving with time.

Wed - Sun

727 N. Broadway Ave #128
Los Angeles, CA 90012

Update 6:

Had a friend from out of town visiting who loves Fried Chicken. We had no choice but to stop by Howlin’ Ray’s. :slight_smile:

Chicken & Waffles, Fried Chicken Dark (Leg & Thigh), “Country” Style (Level 1 - No Heat):

The Fried Chicken is seriously flawless. Perfect crispy, crunchy batter, piping hot. Juicy, not too salty. My friend looked at us and mumbled (with his mouth full), “Oh my God! This is the best fried chicken I’ve ever had!” :smile:

The Waffle (made fresh to order) was just as good as my last try with them: Slightly crisp, hot, fluffy on the inside. Fantastic Waffle! :slight_smile:

Pickles:

Crisp, nice snap and crunch.

Market Side, Watermelon Salad:

So refreshing! On this piping hot day, the Mint and Watermelon hit the spot. :slight_smile:

Market Side, Green Beans & Bacon:

Wow! I thought the Collard Greens with Smoked Turkey Neck was good last time, but Chef Zone’s fresh-made Green Beans & Bacon daily side today was even better! :open_mouth: Tender Green Beans, deeply smoky Bacon, but the Anaheim Chilies, Red and White Onions and his seasoning blend really elevated this dish.

Fried Chicken White (Breast & Wing), “Medium” Style (Level 3 Heat):

I think I’ve settled on Level 3 as the perfect amount of heat for me. :yum: There’s a gentle burn that builds up, but it dissipates quickly, so you can still feel your mouth within a few minutes afterwards, LOL, unlike Level 4. :slight_smile:

The Chicken Breast was still extremely juicy and just cooked through.

By the time we left, the line was over 100 people, but they have definitely gotten faster at moving people along.

Wed - Sun

727 N. Broadway Ave #128
Los Angeles, CA 90012

Update 7: Dirty Crab Rice, Collard Greens, and more Chicken goodness.

17 Likes
August 2017 Weekend Rundown
Better Than Chik-fil-A - Crack Shack (Costa Mesa) [Thoughts + Pics]
Classic American Breakfast Done Right - Plow [Thoughts + Pics]
Classic American Breakfast Done Right - Plow [Thoughts + Pics]
New Fried Chicken + Fancy Donut Shop - Open 24 Hours A Day on Fri & Sat - Birdies
What is new that is must try for quick LA trip
In Search of Golden, Crispy, Delectable Fried Chicken - Farmshop, Pann's, Jim Dandy's, Terrine, The Brentwood, Flores & Sons, Honeybird, Howlin' Ray's and more!
Another Fried Chicken Specialist Arrives - Honeybird Debuts in the Pasadena / La Canada Area!
California SOUL - The Delightful Comfort Food of Alta Adams - Grand Opening [Thoughts + Pics]
California SOUL - The Delightful Comfort Food of Alta Adams - Grand Opening [Thoughts + Pics]
Bold, Stunning Sunshine (with a side of Hellfire) - Northern Thai Food Club [Thoughts + Pics]
Fresh, Bright Farmers Market-Driven Street Food - Guerrilla Tacos (the Brick & Mortar) - Grand Opening! [Thoughts + Pics]
Republique - Stunning Brunch, Pastries Galore
Another Beacon in L.A.'s Pastry Landscape (and Home of a Fabulous Kouign-Amann and Brunch Plates) - The Sycamore Kitchen [Thoughts + Pics]
Will the Real Tartine Please Stand Up? - Tartine Manufactory Debuts Pastries, Desserts and Provisions at Tartine's Market, Flatbreads at Market Bar, and Blood Sausage and Fried Fish (and More) at Tartine Bianco [Thoughts + Pics]
Still a Neighborhood Gem - Huckleberry Bakery & Cafe [Thoughts + Pics]
December 2018 Weekend Rundown
Juicy, Crispy Japanese Fried Chicken Made with Love and Care - Pikunico - Grand Opening [Thoughts + Pics]
Vibrant Middle Eastern Cuisine By Way of Bestia - Bavel (Grand Opening) [Thoughts + Pics]
Vibrant Middle Eastern Cuisine By Way of Bestia - Bavel (Grand Opening) [Thoughts + Pics]
Amazing Salmon Belly, Oil-Cured Sardines, Lox, Herring and Rockin' Breakfast! - Gjusta
Could This Be The Best Sports Venue Food In L.A.? The Fields LA Food Hall at LAFC's Banc of California Stadium - C.J. Boyd's Fried Chicken, Piccolo Antico Pizzeria, Burritos La Palma, Coni' Seafood, Barbara Jean, Ms. Chi and more [Thoughts + Pics]
Japan's Fast Food Kara-Age (Fried Chicken) Specialist Arrives in L.A. - Karayama [Thoughts + Pics]
Simone - Arts District
Gus Fried Chicken reports? (Crenshaw and Pico)
Where can I get a waffle as good as Howlin Rays but not wait two hours in line?
The Cronut, French Pastries, and American "Dim Sum" - Brunch at 189 by Dominique Ansel & Dominique Ansel Bakery [Thoughts + Pics]

When were you there? I got in line around quarter past 11am. Got the sandwich!

9 Likes

Lines? How Long?:scream:

Hi @theoffalo,

Nice! How was the Fried Chicken Sandwich? How’s the bread and balance of flavors? :slight_smile: I was there around the same time I think. There were already a bunch of people in line as they opened.

What spice level did you get? How was it? :slight_smile:

Hi @wienermobile,

I went on lunch break early LOL, so they opened at 11:00 a.m., when we got there, I think there were 8 - 10 people in line? Not too bad (yet?). :slight_smile:

Let me know what you think of this place!

1 Like

Hmm, maybe we saw each other and didn’t know it. When I got there, about 8-10 people were in front of me in line too but I was #27, which is more than an order a minute since they opened. I was next to last seat at the bar and later on @JLee joined me.

I’ve been a big fan of their friend chicken sandwich for a while. Today I decided to take it easy, so I got the mild. I think they might have even tempered that down a bit as it was less spicy than I remembered, but perfectly in line with what a “mild” should be. Thought the balance of batter/breading/slaw/etc. was “on point” as some other food blogger might say. The breaded breast seemed a little larger too. Definitely worth the $11.

2 Likes

Best fried chicken in LA? Hmmm… I may have to give it a try. I think I’ll just stick w/ the level 1 and “no heat,” though… :slight_smile:

Hi @paranoidgarliclover,

Just in my opinion. :wink: It used to be Flossie’s in their heyday (but I went once about 3 weeks before they suddenly closed, and I felt they were going downhill at that point). Jim Dandy’s is inconsistent and the last 2 times (out of 5 - 6 times) was really salty. I like it more than Honey’s Kettle Culver City, and more than the gourmet Fried Chicken at a few places around town.

But please pass along recommendations for great Fried Chicken; I’m always on the lookout for delicious stuff. :smile: Thanks!

1 Like

how’s the value? say, as compared to popeye’s or something like that?

i’m happy to pay a little more for happier chickens.

1 Like

I went Sunday and had the fried chicken sandwich. I was truly blown away by how fucking great it was. The chicken was incredibly crunchy and juicy. I had the best fried chicken of my life about 6 months ago in New Orleans at Willie Mae’s. This wasn’t on that level, but it also was not far off. Also, putting the chicken aside, the sandwich was just perfect in terms of the proportions of sauce, slow, bun, etc. I will be back.

There was a huge line, but that just gave me a chance to eat some chego stuff while waiting–win/win!

3 Likes

Here’s their menu: http://www.howlinrays.com/menu/. $8-9 for a quarter, $15 for a half, $28 for whole bird. So it’s not cheap, especially when compared to Popeye’s Tuesday specials, but the pieces are bigger, and the chicken is Mary’s air-chilled chicken (more expensive to process but supposedly better tasting) from Pitman Farms. Dunno if the chickens are happier but it’s not a big-ag kind of operation.

I don’t know much about fried chicken myself b/c I feel horribly guilty and can hear my arteries squeezing shut when I take a bite. :wink: Like the taste, though. But my partner loves fried chicken (comes from a Southern family). But he doesn’t like to drive as far as I do for good eats. However, if I tell him that a trusted FTC’er likes it, then maybe I can convince him… Bwahahahaha.

1 Like

Nice @theoffalo.

Thanks for the great report @Haeldaur. :slight_smile: Wow, the Fried Chicken Sandwich sounds incredible. :slight_smile: I don’t doubt it since I thought their bone-in Fried Chicken was great. :slight_smile: I’ll have to try it next time. Good to hear the Sauce / Slaw / Bun on the Sandwich was great.

Which spice level did you get? How was it?

looking at their latest tweet, dinner service is going to be slimmer pickins

As of 2:30p…
@howlinrays
ALERT! 15 white quarters & 8 dark quarters left! Still good on wings and sandos!

Hi @linus,

See @theoffalo’s link. I think I tried a random Popeye’s last year? (friend wanted to see what the fuss was about LOL (no fuss!)), but it was such a salt / grease bomb.

I’m all for PQR, but in this case, I think it’s worth the extra money. I’d gladly pay a little extra to eat Howlin’ Ray’s over saving a few dollars for Popeye’s for sure. Ii could taste a difference in the happier / healthier bird. :slight_smile:

Not to take away from their chicken, but I like the sandwich better. Definitely hit that up.

Their regular hours, as stated in the OP, is until 4 PM (for now, eventually they’ll do dinners). So actually seems like their inventory isn’t too bad.

Barring any unforeseen issues, they’re on schedule to do chicken and waffles on the weekends.

1 Like

reading is clearly not my strong suit.

Hi @A5KOBE,

Cool. I’d say if you haven’t tried their Chicken at their new restaurant (not the truck), give it a shot. It’s much better (IMHO) than during their Truck days.

At least today (Grand Opening) it was awesome. Breast, Thigh, Leg all good.

I’ll try their Sando next time for sure. :slight_smile:

1 Like

well, i had read the menu online, but thanks to you and the offalo for responding.
there’s nothing quite like firsthand knowledge.

now, if this turns into one of those places with an omnipresentneverendinglongline, that’s
another kettle of fish entirely and i’ll probably pass.