Liquor stores with their own bars?

Some friends took me to Willibees in Santa Rosa. It’s a liquor store with a deli and a bar that serves wine and beer. It occurred to me that I’d never seen such a combination before. Seems odd that it’s so rare given the obvious synergy, but maybe it’s because in California you can get a license like that only if the bar is part of a restaurant, and how many liquor stores want to deal with that?

1 Like

Related (but not exactly the same, of course), Top Hops, which sells food and draft beer, and also growlers and sixpacks. Anything like that in your area?

There’s this place:

And there’s a place in town (sacramento) called Pangea Biergarten that has lots of local drafts on the menu and is a full pub/restaurant (great burgers and fried chicken sandwiches) AND an extensive and fairly diverse bottle shop right off the main room.

Oh, yes, it occurs to me that this exists: https://greatjonesdistillingco.com/

And this: https://www.uniongrovedistillery.com/

And that’s just the ones I’ve been to.

But those only sell liquor from one manufacturer, obviously.

There are a few places like Cork’ Bottle Liquor (Fremont), The Good Hop Bar & Bottle Shop (Oakland), City Beer Store (Mission)

Jon and Vinny’s does that worth Helen’s wine shop in the two locations

I have been to many restaurant/bars with off sale licenses, seems to be common in rural areas.

In San Jose, Grand view on Alum Rock had/has an off sale license.

In California, restaurant beer and wine licenses (type 41) and beer-only tavern licenses (type 40) allow off-sale, so that’s common.

It’s the combination of off-sale liquor (type 21) and on-sale beer and wine that I haven’t seen before.

They have a type 47. Like type 41 except they can also sell hard liquor for consumption on the premises.

In the 70’s, one could buy a 6-pack to go from Rancho Grandview, maybe after the fire they stopped, or maybe they were not allowed to, but I purchased many 6-pls of Löwenstein to take home after dinner.
There were restaurants in Willows, Maxwell and Williams that sold beer to go.

I do not if it legal, but I knew places that sold off sale.

Like I said, in California, restaurant liquor licenses include off-sale beer and wine.

Most wine bars with bottle shops are licensed as restaurants (type 41). That’s why they can allow minors.