Little Saigon Adventures

So good @JeetKuneBao! Thanks.

We need that refreshing Cococane in this heat wave. :slight_smile:

Newport Seafood is open for business!
House special lobster for dinner tonight…

19 Likes

What’s the spot price these days. It’s a long drive but I have a lot of wet naps…

1 Like

I’m not sure. I just ordered the lobster noodles and a couple of other things. I just paid the tab and tipped them 20%. Didn’t get an itemized receipt. But the auntie taking orders was super nice.

4 Likes

@JeetKuneBao I just drove by Khoi Hung and it’s dark. The signs and equipment were all there, but it doesn’t look like they’re operating…at least not for lunch on a Friday.

Ba Le Sandwiches -
Picked up the buy 5, get 1 free deal…and supplies for banh mi at home. It was visibly slower than when I’ve visited in the past, but they are still pumping out fresh banh mi. They were surprised when I didn’t want any change when I paid for my order.

Ngu Binh -
I been craving banh boc loc…so got an order of it. It’s delicious! Though I think I prefer the wrapped version at Ben Ngu.

Banh Cuon Luu Luyen -
An order of the dac biet plate and nem chua heo. Extra crispy shallots for salads at home. Luu Luyen’s got a machine that takes cards now. $10 minimum purchase.

9 Likes

Thanks for the update!

What kind of Banh Mi supplies did you end up getting?

I went the full 9 yards. Bread, mayo, pickled veg, pâté, cha lua, thit nguoi, and bi. The household also wants to stuff them with leftover bulgogi from Sunday.

6 Likes

Hi @attran99,

Nice! :blush: Glad you were able to help support some of these mom & pop shops! Which Banh Mi did you get for yourself today at Ba Le? How was it? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m a thit nguoi person. It’s simple and easy and what I grew up eating. It was really good. The fam only does grilled pork. Lunch was solid today.

2 Likes

Nice!

All of those products are really good, some of the best I ever had, especially that mayo lol

3 Likes

Which is why I got 2. I ran out of kewpie mayo, so I figured I’d switch to this one in the meantime.

3 Likes

In case you run out again, Japanese-Style (Kewpie) Mayo Recipe

2 Likes

PSA Cococane is open

9 Likes

FTC LA’s own @euno updates us on Little Saigon

4 Likes

Banh Xeo Boys is now opened at 4th St Market in Dowtown Santa Ana. They are local boys come out and support!

7 Likes

Awwww yeah thanks JKB!! Sorry I’ve been off the grid for a while, I’ve been trying to lose some weight during this quarantine.

Word on the street update, Terry at Song Long hopes to open back up soon, they’re still working on it; my favorite extremely cheap and ”In a drunken Freudian stupor put this as my Uber driver’s destination” pho place Pho Vie on Westminster is back open also.

2 Likes

@euno Lol Little Saigons 24 Hour Pho!!

Have you had Pho Akaushi yet???

Thank you so much for letting us know! They have been on my list to try since I love Banh Xeo and I needed to get to Alta Baja Market for Father’s Day gifts (They carry great Mexican Wine and my favorite Mole paste, Hernans) so I headed there today (It was the ONLY thing that would keep me from going to Johnnys…)

First, I was really impressed at the set up at 4th Street Market. They have a really nice outdoor patio area with plenty of space to social distance. Unfortunately, I had to get back to Expo Park by 2p… so I had to take my Banh Xeo to go which I NOT RECOMMEND. Eat it there… PLEASE. But as I said… I was very much looking forward to it…

I still really enjoyed this. The Omlete was well made and they added EVERYTHING. They gave us four leaves of lettuce which made it easy to split into two.

The only thing to quible was that I got the chicken and shrimp combo and honestly, I had hoped that there was more filling… I got a good amount of shrimp… but hardly any chicken… Especially since this is pretty much their menu… it felt more like a decomposed salad than a center of a plate meal. In fact, when we had it at dinner, I supplemented it with a quickie Mini Pho using Nona Lim’s sipping broth.

Hoping to have it again, at the Market…

5 Likes

Some friends in OC saying good things about Banh Khot Lady

8 Likes

Thx for intel. Keep em coming!

1 Like