Little Saigon Adventures

4 Likes

Whoever is doing their IG knows what they are doing. I need this in my life immediately.

4 Likes

Dude I’m drooling! I never seen Banh Khot that looks as good as the Banh Khot Lady.

4 Likes

I may give this a go next weekend.

3 Likes

I’m so there too! I had Ba Le again this week :smile: so I may need to bang bang with Banh Khot Lady.

3 Likes

Never mind, they are sold out for the month. :frowning:

Soonest would be July 4th and there is only two time slots left.

4 Likes

Appointments available this weekend @attran99

Schedule Appointment with BANHKHOTLADY

4 Likes

@A5KOBE I booked Banh Khot Lady for another weekend.
Today’s trip yielded fun results.
Brodard has reopened for dine-in. I called my order for rolls in, and was quoted a 30 minute wait. Perfect since it takes that long for me to drive over. There’s a separate line for take-out and phone orders. That line can get long. My order was ready when I got to the front of the line. I did take time to notice that gloves, face masks and all forms of social distancing are being practiced. There were people dining in and there were people waiting for tables.
Ba Le Sandwiches is picking up steam. Steady stream of customers when I was in for banh mi and supplies to DIY this week. It’s nice to see more than just me back in the shop at the same time.
Cococane is super busy. There’s a line out the door. Call ahead if you’re short on time. You’ll still have to wait in line to pay, but you won’t have to wait for your drink.
Khoi Hung…bo luc lac here is delicious! @JeetKuneBao is so right. They are back open for take-out only. Business hours are 10AM - 8PM daily. I called in my order and was quoted 10 minutes.

8 Likes

Damn that is a strong visit!

Brodards, Ba Le, Cococane, and Khoi Hung!

That Bo Luc Lac is pretty damn delicious huh? I haven’t found a better one yet. Garlic and Chives and Newport are not even close. I hope more people go to Khoi Hung and try the Bo Luc Lac!

I love the watercress, red rice, and the sauce with lots of garlic

1 Like

Come on look how good that looks, it tastes even better

6 Likes

Do you just get the original at Cococane? Good to hear about Ba Le business picking up!

1 Like

I got both the original and Hawaiian. Fresh coconut juice is never overrated. It was the perfect drink to go with my banh mi dac biet, 2 tom rolls, and 2 nem nuong rolls. It’s possible that rum may have been added to the Hawaiian.

7 Likes

lol holy hell guys alright so let’s try this again:

been quarantining at home home in OC so Little Saigon has been my go-to when I’m being naughty and sneaking out for eats. alright just gonna post some.

Cha Ca Thang Long at Pho Quang Trung: straight fire. my god this was my first dish after restaurants briefly re-opened and it is TOUGH to find a dish more worthy of being your first post-quarantine meal. the smell of dill and sizzling onions, what more could you ask for…

Big 'ol Banh It Ram (sry 1st ed. said banh beo bc i’m a jackass) at Ngu Binh: Classic, man deep fried rice dough is a very underrated pleasure. My complaint about Ngu Binh’s is that the rice-ball-dumpling on top is a friggin massive mouthful and i’m greedy so you know i’m taking that whole thing in one bite, jamesy style. EDIT/side note: this is a very bad idea because that thing is very hot you will burn the roof of your mouth just a heads up

9 Likes

Spent the weekend in HB so had several meals in Little Saigon and surrounds.

Visited Brodard for the first time and really enjoyed it. They set up a fairly large tent on the parking lot and the tables were as well spaced out as I’ve seen. I know they’re known for their spring rolls, but I couldn’t resist not ordering the Bun Cha Hanoi and it was really good! Way, like way better than the version at Hanoi Corner.

Tried bahn mi from Be Le after @Chowseeker1999 raved about them. My experience unfortunately was just ok. Got the #1 and #2. Both were good but not great. On our way home, we picked up some more banh mi’s from Saigon Bakery and thought it was way better. The pork is so much more flavorful and actually grilled, unlike the pork I had in my Be Le where it was cold and not as flavorful.

Tried to get some Bun Bo hue from Ngu Bihn and failed for the second time. PSA, don’t go on Mondays. They’re closed.

As far as HB goes, had dinner at Social. Avoid at all costs. One of the worst meals in a while. Their home made tagliatelle with meatballs reminded me of cafeteria food. The crispy brussel sprouts was pretty good though.

5 Likes

I had Banh Mi Saigon as a baseline after having three weeks straight of Ba Le, I can conclude the following: I just love the bread at Banh Mi Saigon a tiny bit more, and while their mayo does not deliver the garlic punch like Ba Le, it makes up in the quality of jalapeño. Not sure why, but Banh Mi Saigon has quality jalapeños with a good amount of heat. The pickled veggies at much more neatly prepared while Banh Mi Saigon is a bit clunky.

For the dac biet, head to Ba Le. For the trung, head to Banh Mi Saigon.

Also to note, Banh Mi Saigon sandwich is significantly larger.

Interesting that @tailbacku had cold grilled pork at Ba Le, I had the charbroiled pork at Ba Le and it was fantastic and very nicely prepared.

Therefore after my not so thorough analysis, I conclude that more research is necessary!!!

9 Likes

Ohmigod, w/ that background, it’s like a studio photo of of a banh mi! :wink:

4 Likes

That was not intentional but I’ll take it!

2 Likes

Actually you’re right. Both my wife and I agreed the dac biet was better at Be Le but still prefer Saigon Bakery overall.

1 Like

IG: supdawk

Lots of Banh Khot Lady reviews and lots of lulz

Don’t sleep on the supdawk Waze voice too

New dine in location for Pho Akaushi

4 Likes