Little Saigon Adventures

Tamales Dona Soco has some damn tasty tamales.

Chicken verde and chicken mole and chicharron tamales were all delicious. They also have the option of adding mayo and cheese on top. The chicharron and the chorizo con papa guisado tacos were also tasty. But the tamales are the real deal.

7 Likes

I feel like the better question these days is who has the best cafe sua da after 4pm.

I really like Teo Sandwich on magnolia as a backup but they close at 5 :joy:

I’m starting to feel the answer to my question is Cafe Di Vang.

1 Like

If you are willing to make drive just a little further to Orange Circle. Contra Coffee does a really good Sua Da

1 Like

I need to take my parents out and am drawing a blank of places to go to. All I can think of is:

Vox Kitchen
NEP (but no reservations for mid-day Friday)
Chateau Bordard
INI

The prefer Asian-skewing fusion or straight Asian (Vietnamese or Chinese). Though apparently, they’ll only do things like shabu shabu if their friends invite them.

2 Likes

@attran99 how about the entire salad and appetizer menu at Vientiane?

1 Like

If only my mom liked non-cooked fish sauce.

I need to add this to my list.

1 Like

What could be more Asian than Sizzler, Warner x Harbor. Bang bang with cream pan across the street.

1 Like

How about Newport tan cang, oc and lau, or seafood cove 2?

1 Like

We usually hit Newport and Seafood Cove. Good options!

1 Like

Very last minute, heading from sgv to little saigon now… Suggestions for best goi ga and similar type salads? Or banh xeo?

Trying to eat a little healthier. Otherwise, heading to trieu chau.

1 Like

try Quan Mii. to your luck, they have both goi ga and central style banh xeo which is slightly smaller and thicker then your southern style. they also other heathy options in the wrap and roll yourself section of the menu.

5 Likes

Pick up some banh coun to-go for later.

Maybe some Cococane for your drive home.

1 Like

We are here and waiting impatiently.

We’re going to be around for a few hours. Thinking of 7 beef for dinner. Thein An nearby?

3 Likes

do report back! Everything is nearby. We haven’t had 7 courses of beef in ages and there’s really no movement on that front so I guess Thien An would be the mainstay option. But other possibilities might be roast catfish (which Thien An also has) or any number of spots such as Favori or Oc and Lau 2, that opened in the old brodard space for more seafood centric meal (but not roasted catfish).

2 Likes

Oc and Lau also has goi’s FYI.

My mom, the lightweight, is saying we may not have dinner because we went a little overboard at Quan Mi. Will review later but we enjoyed our lunch.

Thanks hppzz!

Jeet, do either of those place offer chicken salads with liver, gizzard, etc?

1 Like

We had seafood-centric vietnamese for Christmas and knowing my mom, she’ll ask for something else. Let’s see. She does love roast catfish though and that is not easy to find in LA.

2 Likes

The catfish does hold up well for travel and reheat.

1 Like