Longo Seafood

there sure seem to be plenty every time I go to a hotpot resto…

1 Like

How many sauces is she planning to offer???

My parents maybe only used two (possibly maybe even one), so this was never an issue. :wink:

1 Like

Maybe JKB only knows the non-lazy Chinese who are willing to set it up at home lolol… FWIW I am in the “hot pot is for home enjoyment” camp.

3 Likes

No idea…I’ll find out tonight!

I will await my invitation…

2 Likes

In case you haven’t discovered this site yet, You searched for hot pot - The Mala Market.

4 Likes

I remember it being “fine.” It has a Michelin plate for what it’s worth. That seems right — it “simply serves good food.”

Sacha sauce and egg yolk is classic Taiwanese dipping sauce.

I don’t go crazy. It’s either the above and a second one with soy, garlic, chilli oil, vinegar.

I would probably have a little set up on the counter and have everyone DIY.

What are the top dishes at Longo? Could use help here.

1 Like

I’ve only been once but I would say Alaskan crab three ways.

They do it really well.

Also the half or whole suckling pig seems very popular. My only concern would be when it’s cooked vs how long it’s been waiting for you to arrive and potentially drying out.

2 Likes

Yeah I’m with you.

Sesame oil, soy and chili oil usually for me with a dash of vinegar and garlic or maybe some sacha

Theres tons of fancy hot pot places in town now, Wagyu X Pot is usually popping.

What. Whenever I go get hot pot the restaurant is filled with chinese people. Lol

1 Like

Chinese who don’t feel like prepping a meal that night LOL. But that defines a lot of dining out in general.

1 Like

The hardest part with hot pot is boiling some water and bones for the starter. Or maybe separating the egg white and yolks for a dipping sauce. Those foos are lazy or maybe my family was cheap growing up lol

Restaurant hot pot you can’t shoot the breeze with the uncles while they drink their Taiwan beer and discuss politics. Or play big two. Or sneak in a round of mah jong against Po Po. Than go back and eat more hot pot. Do hot pot restaurants even serve cut up fruit at the end? Probably not. Do the staff tell you that you have gained weight and you need a better job lol

I would never pay to go out to a hot pot restaurant lol

The hardest pot about hot pot is having to buy the ingredients, prepare them, and then realize you have 3x more food than you need cause you’re a family of 3 and Chinese supermarkets only sell in giant bundles. Also cleanup is a bitch.

So much easier to just have everything set up for you and you can pick and choose a variety of things to order that you would never buy yourself because see above issue re: giant bundles

and yes - the majority of hot pot places now have cut fruit for you to go get yourself

7 Likes

exactly.

i didn’t take photos cause i’m lazy but it was very well done

Broth is a scallop/fish bone/chicken bone stock - really flavorful.

Best way to eat king crab is via hot pot IMO, done it a few times now and there’s nothing like it. It soaks all the soup up, stays super plump and juicy.

Came with a platter of winter melon, jicama, taro, lotus root. Pork Meat Balls, ribeye. Ordered a fried rice to go with the soup.

Perfect hotpot lunch.

5 Likes

Oh for sure the convenience is a huge factor. I get that especially with a family and work. The thought of prepping a hot pot is a pain in the butt after work, running errands for the family all day, etc. Also the variety at a restaurant cannot be beat.

My thing is I don’t have the experience and skill to make dim sum at home. I don’t have decades of wok cooking experience. I don’t mind going out to pay for that.

Hot pot takes zero skill to cook. It tastes the same versus the restaurant. I prefer the slow and leisurely vibe at home. It always been a special occasion meal or a once-a-month get together for me.

I am also slightly bitter because the hot pot restaurant is so played out in the SGV. To me it’s the least interesting trend in SGV. Do we really need more hot pot restaurants in SGV? I could think of other regions and specialities that I rather see. But I get it $$$$

Getting hot pot for lunch with a friend. They have sliced oranges on the ready for you

3 Likes