Looking for a Unicorn? Place for a casual, friendly, drop-by sort of affair

Shit, $750 for 20 people would really be nothing, damn.

Covell would be a killer option at that price.

1 Like

Plan Check on Sawtelle has let me down each time I’ve gone.

Indifferent service + just okay food. I live in walking distance and would like to like that place–but oofda I just can’t.

I liked it before the original chef, Ernesto, left. But it kinds of sucks since.

4 Likes

The Alibi Room in Culver City might fit the bill. They have a full bar and make kogi/chego food in the kitchen. The space might be a bit small for a group of 20 to congregate, but they do have an outdoor area that could work. All standing outside with a bar-type-table, though.

Really? I am not bashing the Alibi, but when it gets full it gets really loud, and standing up for several hours with no rest seems like it would really, er… harsh the vibe of a party?

All fair points.

I haven’t been at peak weekend times, so I can’t speak to the volume then, but it’s always been a manageable volume when I’ve been there.

As for seating, I don’t mind standing around, so that outdoor area would work fine for me, but they also have that lil area right when you enter that could prolly fit around 20 if you get there early and lay claim.

photo from yelp

I’m Sticking with Tavern, but for next time has anyone tried Corner Door lately. I hear it’s been revamped recently.

Tavern worked out very well. Party was small so one of their high tops that seats 6+ was perfect. Any more than that I’d maybe recommmend another place.

3 Likes