Looking for Orange County recommendations

Had wonderful dinner there last week. Great tasting food, vibe, and service. First time I dined there in 2022 I had a tasting menu and mixed feeling, but on subsquent visits we ordered a la carte and each time was better than the last. Love this place.

2 Likes

What a week. When I moved to Brea 13 years ago never in my wildest dream would I have imagined Shake Shack and Din Tai Fung opening up in Brea. But yet here we are.

Shake Shack is going into the Corner Bakery that closed in DT Brea. Rumors but I don’t care.

DTF is going into the Brea Mall. They are doing a lot of redevelopment to make this mixed use residential and commercial use. Probably more like a late 2024 or 2025 opening.

4 Likes

Maybe it’s a coincidence but I think Din Tai Fung helps keeping the mall alive.

2 Likes

Whatever they end up doing at the Brea Mall will be better than Sears. I think they are adding condos and pivoting to fitness/gyms. A high end food court with better options will also bring people back to the mall.

4 Likes

My sister is thrilled for Shake Shack in Brea.

We are excited for HH at Fogo. Signage up on the fencing around the site.

4 Likes

Shocking to me that I am going to wind up walking distance to Din Tai Fung and Fogo De Chao. Definite upgrade from it being Cheesecake Factory, Islands and BJs.

The new Bread Breakers Deli in that same shopping center where Shake Shack will be is also a welcome addition. Very nice wagyu pastrami sandwich and definitely the top sandwich option in the vicinity.

4 Likes

Congrats to us all.

The Bread Breakers Deli owner/chef is the same as Wagyu Carniceria across the street from the junior high. They make very good sandwiches but on the pricey side. I think Bread Breakers is a similar type of sandwich at a more friendly price point. Never been but will try soon.

1 Like

This is a safe space right?

At XLB Dumpling Bar I like the cheeseburger baos and pizza dumplings LMAO!

6 Likes

You know…I tried XLB Dumpling Bar on a whim last Friday.

The folks in there were really nice and since they moved their prep kitchen to the new larger location in Walnut, they’ve noticed a decrease in foot traffic because people can’t tell if they are open.

I rather liked the cheeseburger bao…the pizza dumplings were a little unusual, but in a good way. The vegetables in the spicy sesame sauce were also pretty tasty. Their signature pork XLB were okay.

2 Likes

Is this same owners as the one near Mt. SAC?

2 Likes

Yup they are the same!

Lol Everyone I know likes the cheeseburger bao. It just works. I bet the kids liked it too.

2 Likes

Have you tried the Cheesy Bao at Nikuman-Ya inside the Tokyo Central on Redondo? SO GOOD…

From Yelp:

Melty Bao with Pork. Steamed bun with pork & mushrooms inside. It

2 Likes

They would have…if they had been with me :wink:

2 Likes

They taste the way Big Macs should taste

1 Like

Islands (not the specific location you’re referring to) was THE place to eat when I was in HS. I was not until many yrs later that I tried it for myself… ::sigh::

I needed a trigger warning…

2 Likes

Brea Fogo De Chao opening up next week. Reservations are up on Open Table and many of the good weekend times are already gone. They have holiday gift cards but you can only use between Jan 2nd and March 24th.

I’m buying the $300 get $75 free to take the family out in Q1.

3 Likes

Time for a weekday HH!

3 Likes

HH menu looks good and reasonable prices.

1 Like

Going to our semi-annual retreat to Laguna.
Our usual places were Marche Moderne and Taco Maria.
Still going to Marche Moderne but need another dinner since Taco Maria is no more.
Is Knfie Pleat worth going?
Hana Re sushi? Rebel Omakase?
Appreciate suggestions!