Magic Castle double-whammy

it took me a while (ok, years) to find you guys.
so no one seems to be talking about NY Times and LA Times food critics going head-to-head in the same week over…the Magic Castle.

kudos to Jason Fullilove’s pr company for this double-get. but there don’t seem to be any newspaper/magazine editors around any more to prevent this. it’s just more frothy, frenzy churning. where’s ServOrg when you need him?

1 Like

Under the direction of then-president Neil Patrick Harris …

!!!

The LA Times piece is a news article. They might have rushed it after the NYT review.

yes, Neil Patrick Harris!
it’s on the Front Page of today’s Food section, written by Jamie Feldmar, who I’m not familiar with. so not so much a news article as an overlapping, competing “review.” so bizarre.

He’s not one of the restaurant critics. A review would appraise the food, service, etc.

for it to appear on the Front page of the Food section, it needed to be written, photographed and edited by, I assume, Monday at the latest in order to appear Thurs. I am a longtime magazine editor. I understand deadlines. I understand the difference between food critics and a news article. maybe this was a “reaction.” I think it’s simply good PR.

Good PR for sure.

I presume the article had been in the works since he said, “On the first night of the new menu rollout a few weeks ago, the atmosphere in the kitchen was calm …” I’m just thinking they might have pushed it up. Could have been just goofy timing.

They have a full-time somm? Dang.

1 Like

The Magic Castle used to have decent drinks, shlocky stuff, unique memorabilia, mediocre chili and food. But it had and, I assume, still has great magic. Especially in the close up room. Have the Larsens sold out? Who runs the show? I recall when they tried to start a branch in Santa Monica. OK, didn’t work.

2 Likes

I think the drinks are still good albeit pricy for non-artisan cocktails. The food has been no better than passable hotel banquet food the few times I’ve been, but no one really goes for the food. The show and entertainment is a good spectacle.

5 Likes

Can’t agree with you more. Close up magic room is fantastic - also seen some great stuff just hanging out from some of the guests who are magicians as well & I’ve had some good cocktails there over the years but then I never ask for anything more complicated than a manhattan.

I’ve heard the kitchen is old and small so if he’s coaxing decent food out of there it may be a minor miracle. Even still I go for the show -a mediocre dinner never ruined my experience.

2 Likes

Long time Magic Castle person here – not a member, but 30 plus years of working with Castle members and pretty much open access to the Castle when desired. It has never been about the food, but the experience and shows. I cannot tell you the number of times I have heard over the years from members that “we are really going to try and improve the food,” or “the food has really improved,” only to find it the same basic cruise/hotel level steakhouse fair that is absolutely fine given that the main thing is the atmosphere and the shows. Getting a serious chef and a sommelier is a great step in the right direction and can only be a plus, given that fine dining and finely crafted cocktails are not really the main focus of any evening at the Castle.

3 Likes

Haven’t tried the new food. The prior food was trash.

Someone invite me again please. I’ve been once in my 15 years here

If you don’t have your personal magician, try contacting the performers listed on Magic Castle’s web site for the days you wish to go. Most likely they can give out guest passes to their fans.

you can look up performers months out?

Here are some other options I found on line : Five Ways to Get into the Magic Castle. I have had success with 1, 2 and 3 but have not tried 4 and 5. As for option 1, I did not actually know a magician, but years ago, I was at a charity show where the performer is giving out invitations. Nowadays, I was told that they no longer have physical invitations to give out but they can personally register guests invitations. I know nothing about Magic Castle’s member’s guest policy. But I can tell from personal experience that they are serious about their dress code.

2 Likes

lol the jackets the had (have?) to borrow were not the most ‘on trend’

We were there a couple of years ago, and they tied my husband’s tie when they saw he wasn’t wearing one. It was in his pocket just in case.

I have 2017 deets for membership, so just add 3 years of price increases to this:

The initiation fee to join is $4,000 and the prorated (9/12) amount for membership dues for 2016 will be $710, making the total to join at this time $4,710.00. This payment will take you through all of 2016.

the most recent article on Milt Larsen is about the Magic Castle Cabaret in Santa Barbara, which if it’s still in operation, sounds like a blast.
From the Santa Barbara Independent, Feb. 21: “The private club, located on the site of the former Café del Sol, hosted a few small preview parties last summer before a mix-up on a permit requirement for the verandah and further work needing to be done delayed the official opening. The club features top magicians, all members of the Academy of Magical Arts, whose clubhouse is the Magic Castle in Hollywood, also founded by Milt Larsen. In the future, the club will feature other types of performers as well.”

https://www.magiccastlecabaret.com

1 Like

Food got a lot better!!! My beef wellington wasn’t bad at all last night, my date was happy with her lamb shank and our french friend liked his confit. hmmm!

6 Likes