no bing, butter and honey?

I enjoyed the corn crispy rice

the crispy crispy

15 Likes

Corn and rice are just bread!

8 Likes

Socornrrat alert!

5 Likes

13 posts were split to a new topic: Best bread in a restaurant?

The best “free” bread is at Joel Robuchon. :microphone:

4 Likes

The sfincione at Felix is also really good…

Holy Cow has a decent rendition of this. :slight_smile:

I know I must’ve had them, but I have no sense memory for them…

Do they everyone a loaf of brioche as they exit, or was it just me? :smiley: I LOVED the huge a$$ bread cart…

2 Likes

Maybe a spinoff thread for “Best Restaurant Bread in L.A. (Non-Bakery, Gratis or Otherwise)” or something to that effect, would be good? Will flag myself for the Mod to see it and decide…

9 Likes

The zucchini bread from Green Street Restaurant.

4 Likes

New dish last night - mushroom crispy rice. They were doing R&D in the kitchen earlier in the day and sent one out for us to try for dinner. Probably hits the reg menu soon

A cornucopia of different mushroom finished off with a smoked mushroom broth. INSANELY good. Super savory. Depths of umami for days and the contrast of the soft meaty mushrooms and the crispy rice were chef’s kiss We had the corn crispy rice next to it and it slaughtered it.

Sorry no pic/video. I took a video of them pouring broth, but I didn’t notice that the iPhone 13 pro keeps trying to auto adjust for macro, so looked like I was having a seizure while taking the video.

16 Likes

Warrior: I haven’t been impressed by much of the stuff on the left side of Majordomo’s menu (bings, veggies, sashimi). Much of the stuff on the right side of the menu has been really good (duck rice, boiled chicken, and black cod come to mind). It’s a nice restaurant. No reason to be too critical.

3 Likes

If that were true, what would we do all day?

7 Likes

how good can boiled chicken possibly be?

4 Likes

You’ve never had great Hainanese chicken rice? Calling it “boiled chicken” is a joke. It’s actually poached in a great broth.

1 Like

Well then maybe David Chang shouldn’t call it, “Boiled chicken” on his menu if he doesn’t want people to think it’s a joke. The only joke I see is the price.

Perhaps I’ll try it one day at a more reasonable price someplace else.

2 Likes

I am always afraid to ask if this is irony (but I might know unfortunately the answer)

2 Likes

Seems like a pretty straightforward name meant to evoke the warm comfort of a type of dish found in many Asian cultures in various iterations, most of which are fucking delicious. :drooling_face: The rest of the menu is equally simple - steamed whole rockfish, heirloom tomatoes, etc. The boiled chicken is also technically two dishes that feed multiple people, with the chicken over rice and a soup with hand-torn noodles. Family-style serving and priced accordingly. For comparison, a large chicken kalguksu at Hangari goes for ~$60, I believe.

5 Likes

“Raw fish? Where I come from we call that bait.”

2 Likes

I have no issue with the name, it seems Robert didn’t bother to read the menu’s description of the dish.

Whole rockfish doesn’t sound too simple to me, if I’m going out to eat that sounds like a much more interesting option to get.