Majordomo - Chinatown

Warrior: I keep going back to Majordomo, like a moth to a flame. A big attraction is they keep changing the menu. I also appreciate that all the dishes are executed well, with the crispy rice tonight being the best example. I do question some of the dish concepts. Why are slices of raw scallops bathed in a pungent sauce that smells like kimchi and fish sauce? I think raw scallops are sweet and elegant and suited for a light sauce—even just Asian citrus zest and Maldon flakes would do. To (over)generalize, I would characterize Majordomo as serving trailblazing Asian-European fusion dishes that don’t quite click. But they’re so close to clicking, and everything else about the restaurant is so good, that the overall experience is a winner. In this regard, I’d like to note that the staff are all great. I agree with Peony that the best dish tonight was the crispy rice with mushrooms. Overall, I like the Majordomo experience.

Peony: We’ve been to Majordomo a few times as it is close to us. My impression is that some dishes are more tasty than others. I remember they have a few outstanding dishes, such as the boiled chicken, but there are also some dishes that are not so impressive. For the meal we had tonight, I particularly liked their new dish of crispy rice with mushrooms. My favorite bit is that the crispy rice is made by pan-searing cooked rice, so you get soft interior and crispy exterior. I seem to remember I had another dish, also called “crispy rice,” somewhere else, and they used puffed rice instead of pan-seared rice, and it did not have the same complexity of flavor and texture as tonight’s dish. The waiter said they are offering different versions of the crispy rice according to season, which I am very excited about as a rice person.

2 Likes

hold up, wait a minute. i spy duck crispy rice with foie gras is back. somebody light the bat signal.

5 Likes

Peony: @PorkyBelly Yes!

This was on the menu tonight:
“Duck crispy rice
celery root, pomegranate, foie gras ”

5 Likes

beausoleil
for lil @js76wisco

bing bing bing

b2h2 - bing, butter, honey, ham
the bestest combo of all time or the greatest combo of all time? any honey, pay-for-carb lovers out there? @TheCookie @rlw

mushroom crispy rice - maitake, burdock, yuzu

they’re still tweaking the duck crispy rice so I got this instead. agree with @Clayfu this was great. so savory with enough umami for two dishes. this was a master class in textures: soft and meaty mushrooms from 3 or 4 varieties; crispy burdock roots; crispy and soft rice :heart:

shout-out to the staff for making this, even though it wasn’t on the very limited menu and the boh was short handed.

coconut rice pudding
i like rice.

20 Likes

This deserves repeating…

:heart::yum::heart:

12 Likes

Yeah, the bing with country ham, butter, and honey is yummy, but the mushroom crispy rice was the winner at my Wednesday dinner.

4 Likes

@PorkyBelly my kids were off from school today. My wife took them on errands to return stuff at South Coast Plaza. After the exit my son asks to eat at Water Grill even though we’ve never been there because he assumed it was a seafood joint. He wanted oysters. My wife took them to Taco Bell instead. I showed him your post and he said thanks. And curse you.

7 Likes

Love their lobster roll, Peruvian Bay scallops and selection of oysters.

3 Likes

Don’t show the kids FTC, lest you are willing to let them literally eat into the college fund.

4 Likes

Too late @J_L. My kids are not thrilled we are going to Hayato tomorrow without them.

12 Likes

Enjoy celebrating your auspicious occasions!

1 Like

I feel his pain… I often want oysters and end up with Taco Bell too.

9 Likes

priedite bbq x majordomo @Hungrydrunk, @formersushichef

https://www.instagram.com/p/CWOqH_-vG2I/

3 Likes

What’s the deal with Los Alamos becoming such a food destination?

https://www.fodors.com/world/north-america/usa/california/experiences/news/turns-out-this-small-old-west-town-is-one-of-americas-best-culinary-destinations

enjoy your dinner. bring them some taco bell, they’ll be fine.

8 Likes

majordomo x priedite bbq

big turnout this time.

favorites were the prime rib dip :heart: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :heart: fatty brisket, and short ribs

prime rib dip
this needs to get on the regular menu

priedite brisket taco

salad

whole plate short rib

fatty brisket

pork belly

15 Likes

I should’ve gotten the Prime Rib dip, by the time i got there the smoked short rib was already sold out, got the Priedite Brisket, smoked pork neck and the smoked pork belly. Got the bing with cultured butter and honey. Sides were the country ham beans and the escabeche. The country ham beans were too salty for me.

We also got the Coconut Rice pudding which was delicious.

14 Likes

sad times - Austin Hennelly who was the magical tender of cocktails behind the bar at Domo is leaving for a new project. He was there from day 1 creating those delicious drinks.

2 Likes

Enjoyed many different variations of the G&T. Great program. Do you know what the new project is?