Manzke Restaurant

A touch over 4 hours. There was a pretty big lull between the first 4-5 courses and the rest of them.

It was also good to see both sergios in the house. The open kitchen is really cool.

6 Likes

Maybe the play here is to have drinks at the bar downstairs with a baguette as a snack…and bring what you don’t finish upstairs?

5 Likes

man i wanted two orders of brioche and instead they gave me baguette! ha

2 Likes

Sorry to hear about the pacing issues our dinner was 3.5 hrs which we found enjoyable but over 4 is def getting long unless you have copious amounts to drink

1 Like

WTF. Just came back. Paid the same effing price as the other posters, except my party got one less course. A very important omission, in my book: The spot prawn. W.T.F.

2 Likes

That sucks :frowning: did they have it on the menu or was it removed completely?

Prawn were just removed from the menu. The omission from the was so smooth on my printed menu, I didn’t even realize it 'til I came home and saw that most if not all others else got spot prawns as part of a 12-item tasting menu on other nights.

We had 11 items on our menu this evening. The difference between rlw’s menu and mine was (again) that the prawns were omitted, and the mango dessert was replaced by an admittedly tasty strawberry passionfruit panna cotta instead.

No substitute was offered for the missing prawn course. Just one less course overall. But the menu price was the same at $225pp. Boo on Team Manzke.

Oh, and I just got an email (after the meal LOL) saying that my Manzke reservation was canceled. Huh? Does this mean the FOH never checked me in?

4 Likes

Sorry to hear that, that’s definitely lame

That happened to me at Somni. But when you’re getting 20+ courses, I guess being short changed one course is not as big of a deal.

Yeah, except I adore prawn. Huge disappointment.

I’ll definitely watch out for stealthy menu item reductions on future visits here.

1 Like

Then you can dispute the credit card charge, no? The reservation was cancelled.:slight_smile:

1 Like

5 :star:

2 Likes

Anyone know what time of day reservations open up? I assume midnight, but if anyone could confirm that would be great, as I don’t want to stay up to test my assumption and then (if I’m right) stay up again to make the resy…

Seems perfectly reasonable to me to compare any restaurant that copies Thomas Keller’s Michelin formula with the original.

Patricia Kelly Yeo once again seems way too easily impressed, as if reviewing LA restaurants for Time Out were her first job out of college.

• moonboy403: not too much going on here in terms of complexity or flavor.
  • rlw: 3 out of 5
  • PKY: “In the case of the tostada with salsa fresca—a playful, bite-sized tuna cracker atop a cup of clear broth–the fresh pico de gallo distilled to its pure essence literally almost brought tears to my eyes.”
1 Like

That was a joke from both of us.

I did a double take when I first read that. :eyes:

2 Likes

that tuna was fine and probably my least memorable course of the entire dinner

5 Likes

While it’s fine in and of itself but it’s such a common flavor combination that can be found anywhere…even at BJ’s :smiling_imp:

2 Likes

Would have to agree you can get that flavor at pretty much any solid mariscos/ceviche truck/stand in LA.

3 Likes

I find this bread situation absurd!
Serve the brioche with butter, but the brioche is so buttery already, I could not really dream to put more butter on it. So that butter sat there and started at us for at least an hour and we kept asking for the baguette and eventually towards the end of the dinner they did bring one. Whole new meaning to BYOB!
There were big gaps in food, especially after the fish and another huge one before desert. In the beginning Sergio was there, but I think he left midway through our dinner, maybe with his departure things were not running as well. Some of the people serving us had this “deer in the headlights” look when asked about the dishes.
I liked the restaurant, everything was excellent, but only memorable dish was the abalone, which is tied for the best abalone I ever had with the best being at Maude a month ago!

5 Likes

what did they say when you asked for a baguette? they told us they needed to make sure they had enough for downstairs before they could give us any. free the bread!

3 Likes