March 2020 Rundown

Saw a couple people eating sandwiches and they looked very good. I brought my lunch. Since I struck out at Taco Maria I decided to go back and eat my lefty over chicken and zucchini. But got some beans at Portola.

2 Likes

How I feel looking at my own food pictures but requiring some restraint

Garlic butter baked crabs with black pepper

Revisiting Kokuryu Junmai Ginjo at a local izakaya

Izakaya style katsuo tataki, so good with beer (don’t worry sake was ordered afterwards)

Decadence in a gunkan sushi. Shirako, Hokkaido uni, shaved black truffles (Kusakabe, SF)

Charcoal smoked and grilled hon meiji maguro, kasugodai with insanely fluffy skin, and killer akagai (Sushi Yoshizumi)

Killer pairing of BYO Jean Foillard Morgon Cote Du Py 2017 Beaujolais Cru, with one of the earth shattering comfort food gourmet dining dishes at Anh Hong Bo 7 Mon (SF), Bo La Lot (grape leaf grilled beef, no betelnut leaf, but this is spectacular)

6 Likes

That was the best one. Also miss it everyday…

2 Likes

Non-alcoholic fizzy

1 Like

Pueblo is a good option when you’re in that area.

1 Like

Portola Coffee has a Panama Gesha! At $10 a cup. Yes you read that right.

The aroma is out of this world, very tea-ish and floral like! It tastes like a Ethiopian, fruity light. A very special treat. While I do love and enjoy espresso based drinks, to me nothing beats a pour over. Friends playfully tease me, but isn’t this how Coffee should be enjoyed? Isn’t this the norm for locals in Ethiopia, Panama, Colombia, Costa Rica, Indonesia, etc. I don’t mind paying a little more to support these farmers and their product.

4 Likes

Yes but not great for 1 person like me who likes to share lots of dishes.

I think they are selling 12 ounces of beans for $50. I thought that was a typo. Sounds delicious but way too rich for my blood. I only pay $10 for cups of coffee collected from civet feces.

http://www.most-expensive.coffee/

2 Likes

I can’t believe someone pays for that lol

Is it even good?

I’ve had kopi luwak in bali and to my unrefined palette it just tasted like coffee and not even particularly amazing coffee.

1 Like

Was it wild foraged or farmed?

1 Like

Good point.

organic, artisan, hand picked, farm to table.

3 Likes

I’ve had kopi luwak three times I believe 2 were farmed and one was wild but again nothing really stood out.

I’ve had kopi luwak, and in Bali also. But I was not aware there is such a thing as “wild” kopi luwak. By “wild”, does that imply some poor chap is assigned to go out into the brush to look for civet droppings from civets which happen to consume coffee beans? That sounds like a Sisyphean task.

3 Likes

Yes the time I had wild they explained that people would crawl under bushes and trees and find the droppings and that it was super time intensive and labor intensive.

Who knows if it’s true or it’s just marketing it was given to me in a booklet with drawings and photos before I had my coffee I definitely paid for it in price lol

Here’s what Funnel Mill says about Kopi Luwak in regards to farm vs wild:

A Special Notice to Our Patrons
At the Funnel Mill, we have known about the mistreatment of the Luwak civet cat in many countries and many farms. We pride ourself in protecting animals while providing the best coffee experience possible. This is why we have researched our suppliers before ever buying from them. We make sure the bean is harvested naturally and not by force-feeding or caging the animals that create this superb coffee effect. Recently the media has finally started to bring much needed attention to the abuse that occurs at other farms, mostly in non-Indonesian countries. While the public is learning about this abuse, it will take time for everyone to know the difference between farms and we applaud the efforts to protect these animals. We hope that all coffee shops will put forth the effort to know where their beans are coming from.

Our Kopi Luwak comes from the Indonesian island of Sumatra, an area well-known for its excellent coffee. Also native to the area is a small civet-like animal called a Paradoxurus. That’s the scientific name, but the locals called them Luwaks. These little mammals live in the trees and one of their favorite foods is the red, ripe coffee cherry. They eat the cherries, beans and all. While the beans are in the Luwak’s stomach, they undergo chemical treatments and fermentations. The beans finish the journey through the digestive system, and exit. The still-intact beans are collected from the forest floor, and are cleaned, then medium-roasted and ground just like any other coffee.

Good info!

So “wild”, in this case, is basically free range.

1 Like

@JeetKuneBao Great call. The hot Italian sandwiche was delicious. Toasty bread but not toasted too much so it was hard to bite down into. They gently fried the cold cuts which was a nice unexpected touch. I was suspicious of the mayo but didn’t mind it on the sandwich. Would definitely get again. They have 7 sandwiches ranging from $10 to $13. The sandwich was about 8 inches.

Taco Maria was packed despite the rain. Portola seemed to be as busy as they generally are during lunch time.

3 Likes

I learned this week I’m definitely a NY guy.

7 Likes