March 2024 Rundown

Zabar’s does overnight shipping!

3 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/CzusjV1JiFv/?igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

I hope this answers your question. They call it lox so I called it lox and according to this post, it is cured and not smoked.

I didn’t notice a smoked flavor while eating it. It was just delicious.

6 Likes

Wow.

That is legit lox from the description.

Might be one of the few or only place in So Cal doing that

2 Likes

If I was a bagel shop wanting supply my own salmon, I would absolutely just do lox and cure only. Adding smoke takes an extra day or two of processing and specialized equipment and safety (cold smoking) concerns that just wouldn’t make any business sense. The easiest solution to get cold smoked salmon would be just buy ACME.

It’s same reason why RC provisions exist, deli’s just don’t have the capacity to cure/smoke their meats (or fish) at a volume to justify doing it themselves.

4 Likes

WOW!! It does! Amazing. Agree with @JeetKuneBao this may be the only place doing this. Thank you!!

I’m a pauper. Plus it goes against my Judaism lol!!

I trust your opinion. Take one for the team (well, me lol)

2 Likes

Tacos La Rueda - Bellflower

Caramelo

Burro con queso :heart_eyes:

Excellent flour tortillas and solid Sonoran taquero. The burro was definitely the play here, their frijoles puercos are excellent with the carne asada and the flour tortilla. I’ll be back for the burro and possibly just a bean and cheese burro as well.

Sushi Kisen - Arcadia

Amazing mid tier sushi with some dishes worthy of top tier omakase, including the kasugo :heart_eyes::heart_eyes: and the ohitashi (spinach in dashi) :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Angel Del Mar - Puerto Nuevo BCN

Lobster, fish and shrimp plate and their unlimited flour tortillas :heart_eyes:. Order a Cubano with Dos Equis with amazing food and a great view.

Mariscos El Governador - Anaheim

Shrimp empanadas :heart_eyes:

Ceviche especiale

Botana La Playita

Ichimi-an - Rolling Hills

Sashimi tempura combo with kake soba

Delicious soba and surprisingly great sashimi, the tempura was so so

Hamburguesas Uruapan - Anaheim

Uruapan Doble :heart_eyes:

Uruapan Supreme

20 Likes

Uruapan hamburguesa looks like love at first sight (bite)!

4 Likes

It is unexplainably delicious.

4 Likes

OMG that burger looks insanely good. Never seen anything like it.

1 Like

PJ & Friends at Pasjoli, featuring Chef Evan Funke…

Had a great time with @boourns, and even got to meet @rlw IRL!!! Most excellent dining companions…

Also in the house: Chef Jon Yao!

Focaccia with sugo di cipolla, anchovy, olive nere, wild oregano…

12 Likes

Lunch in the 626: Northern Cafe, Monterey Park…

DaPanJi (大盤雞 AKA Big Plate of Chicken)… This also has tons of knife-cut noodles on the bottom. Lots of satisfying Q. A hearty stew and hand-pulled Chinese noodles - what’s not to love?! Huge bite!!!

12 Likes

Uphill alert: Array 36… No misses tonight. Buddha Jumping Over The Wall is the real deal. Typhoon Shelter Dungeness Crab was superb. Nothing felt overly greasy. No overuse of luxe; just solid cooking.

Highlight was this beautiful steamed turbot with scallion and light oil drizzle, Canto style… #ElkanoLevel

17 Likes

Uphill? It’s always been great.

Lunch one weekend at Little Fish (broccoli rabe melt), breakfast the next (smoked white fish tartine). Slight char on the rapini plus ciabatta makes this the best sandwich I’ve had in a while. Tartine was nice, though quite small. The previous Sunday’s melt had been so substantial that I thought I could get away with just one item on the return visit - not so! Followed the sandwich up with a couple saisons at Homage and then a short walk to Flouring. Neither the black sesame (pictured) nor the Belgian chocolate cake did much for me.

• 4 oz pours of Someone Great + Pink & White. Love a short pour. They were playing Beat Happening too :slight_smile:

12 Likes

I’ve not heard of this place b/f. Internet search indicates it’s in Echo Park. Is that correct?

1 Like

Yes, it’s on Sunset just west of the intersection with Echo Park Ave. Just a walk-up window with tables outside Dada Market, with which it shares the space. I think their congee and brown cheese dishes, which are available only as part of the pre-11:00 AM breakfast menu, have been written about here and/or LAT. It’s good!

2 Likes

Wat Thai sweets. There is a Thai gelato stand that looks interesting as well. Also of note Ruen Pair’s next door dessert spot also has gelato

7 Likes

Thai Central Cuisine. Steamed fish with lime, garlic, and herbs.

8 Likes

verdict?

1 Like

Dinner #2: Tacos Por Vida (Palms)… Calamares & short rib tacos were delicious as usual, and the sliders, too. Just no Sergio, though.

8 Likes