March Weekend Rundown (2016)

Alas, I’ve never tried Golden State, and I’ve only had the Belcampo burger once (1-2 yrs ago, when the Santa Monica branch was a bit of a pop up).

My fuzzy recollection was that the Belcampo burger had a beefier flavor, but the patty was rather thin and the texture was a bit too close to falling apart for me.

Will let you know when I’ve had the Golden State one as a comparison. :wink:

Truth be told, if I go back to Pono, it’ll be for the fries and maybe to try their portobello burger. I don’t feel the need to have a burger there again, FWIW.

Ironically I wanted to go to Pono when I walked by, right after Sweetfin!
I am a Bachi fan as well.

I believe it came with caramel. Perhaps you can simply ask them to make it with the thick creme since they still serve it with the apple dessert? But this combo with the ice cream and strawberry was really good. As I was eating the desserts I thought to myself, I can easily see myself walking in late at night and getting a drink and dessert.

O + P was my back up. I wanted to go to Vaca based on your and @Porthos reports but it was booked for the time we wanted and I had some stuff to do out in mid Wilshire anyways. “Settled” for O + P. I’ll try Vaca soon though since multiple people I know really yearn for tapas.

@paranoidgarliclover, you have to try Golden State’s Burger! (and their Lamb Burger as well). So good! :slight_smile:

I found out about it from our old board and have been hooked ever since, LOL.

2 Likes

Genwa BH. Beef brisket, steamed beef mandu, and their excellent parade of banchan

6 Likes

I count 22 bowls of banchan - ? Dang! The logistics of that alone is a big dot deal. How was your meal?

1 Like

Jinya Ramen and Alejo’s…

Uploading…

4 Likes

Mandu is okay, probably wouldn’t order again.

The beef quality is pretty good if a touch pricey.

I asked for extra orders of the 2 types of fish cake.m, my favorite banchan.

Great place for you Westside folk that can’t venture to K-town :wink:

Vent system is excellent so you don’t smell like BBQ as much.

Have you had their bibimbap? I thought it was the best part of our meal.

How much roughly for the meal? No prices on the website…

Bristet $29. Mandu $12.

1 Like

Saturday afternoon, Plan Check on Sawtelle

4 Likes

I’m stymied Novelli - what are we looking at in the not-quite-empty dish on top?
Reminds me of a manger without the Christ-child.

2 Likes

Looks way too healthy

1 Like

LOL sorry for the non-descript

Portabello mushroom, swiss fondue, garlic steak sauce, dehydrated kale crisp.

1 Like

Ohmigod, that’s totally what I was thinking! I was like, “A vegetable that looks like it hasn’t been doused by animal fat???” But I guess it has… :wink:

Sparerib zeed noodles at Luv2eat

3 Likes

@Porthos how’s the soup for the Zeed Noodles? I thought L2E’s Tom Yum broth was too sweet for my tastes.

Really nice sour note through it. I prefer it to the pink noodles.

Photo is actually with request for extra soup.