March Weekend Rundown (2016)

Wexler’s fish salad. First-rate. Bagel was good though I can’t really judge it properly since it was toasted.

6 Likes

Best pork belly prep in town.

Shanghailander Palace in Rowland Heights.

Not sure if their secret is rock sugar or crack cocaine but it is more flavorful and tender than any other version I have tried.

Their salted pork and bamboo soup is also really good.

8 Likes

Ahi limu poke from Costco

5 Likes

There’s that legit seaweed again @Ns1

1 Like

Restaurant 2117…

6 Likes

Gjusta - Bialy egg and salmon plate.

Primo’s Donuts - Buttermilk bar.

Qin West - Liang pi.

Wadatsumi by Harikawa - Hitsumabushi and zabuton. Both A5 wagyu. Thank you, @J_L, for the tip on this place.

A shot of some of that wagyu for you, @A5KOBE, since I hear that’s your thing. :wink:

Finished the day by walking across the street for cereal & milk ice cream from Atticus Creamery.

11 Likes

Some Ethiopian from last weekend:

Tana Ethiopian Restaurant (Anaheim) - Byainetu/Combination

Meals by Genet (Carthay) - Vegetarian combination with dorowot.

6 Likes

Nice! Don’t see many reports on Ethiopian around here. Which did you prefer?

I wish I could get that liang pi right now. And I just almost finished dinner.

How long do you wait after finishing first lunch before starting second lunch? #askingforafriend

11 Likes

Solid, solid eating…

1 Like

Hi @noddles,

Nice! :slight_smile: I love the Bialy at Gjusta.

How was the A5 at Wadatsumi? Was it overwhelming, or good, or?

@noddles That is some good eats right there. I can totally see myself ordering those exact items. Nothing like having some A5 wagyu and finish if off the night with ice cream. #YOLO

1 Like

I think I might prefer Genet when comparing vegetarian combinations. I didn’t realize it at the time during Tana, but when I had the beets and the timatim fitfit at Genet (tomato mixture @ 9 o’ clock in the pic), I really appreciated how refreshing a break/addition it was to the protein and lentils and the cooked veg.

Maybe someone else can chime in on this, but I found the chicken from the dorowot very dry when eaten by itself. :frowning: Combining with some other stuff helped a little bit, but I’m curious if anyone else had the same experience. The pieces of steak from Tana in the center were cooked well done but were tasty though, coming in two bowls not shown - a really good value. But really, the veg combos at both were good as were the injera bread, and I might only slightly prefer Tana right now because of distance.

There’s always tomorrow if you’re still in LA. :smile:

Today was a good day, thanks again :slight_smile:

1 Like

Maybe Tuesday. I’ll be out that way with time to kill. What else is good there?

What’s that served with the beef in the second picture?

Loved the A5 in both preps. The sum was definitely greater than its parts in the hitsumabushi - from the wagyu-tender slices of uh… wagyu to the pristine grains of rice to all of the little garnishes. You then pour broth over all of that, and it picks up on all of these flavors and becomes wonderful itself, and then the rice soaks that up and becomes super delicious. Not overwhelming at all, and I think it’s because of how light the broth is.

The zabuton steak, on the other hand, is a bit richer and heavier as a whole dish. It’s rich and beefy and fatty and subtly smoky from their charcoal grill with that soft A5 texture, and if you didn’t tell me it was zabuton, I could’ve sworn it was A5 ribeye (then again, I’ve only had A5 a half dozen or so times :sweat_smile:). A couple pieces had some nice lightly chewy gristle, too. :yum: Served over green beans with a side of mashed potatoes @PorkyBelly

2 Likes

In that area around a similar price range? I didn’t see it in your LA week plan topic, but have you had the tsukemen at Tsujita? Then you can walk over to B Sweet Dessert Bar for an ube ice cream donut sandwich! :yum:

However long it takes to walk/drive/metro to second lunch. :slight_smile:

1 Like

No, I mean what other dishes are good at Qin West?

By the way if you’re staying Downtown and don’t wanna shlep out to the Westside, there’s a Qin location in Chinatown.