Mary's Free Range Chicken

Here is a tip. Whole Foods in LA sell two kinds of chickens, Mary’s and 365. I’ve been told by a number of butchers at Whole Foods that the 365 brand is also Mary’s and it’s cheaper. I’ve cooked both and they are the same.

Now if you really want to cook up a quality bird, I highly recommend the heritage chicken at Belcampo. More expensive but considerably more flavor and the bones make great broth.

5 Likes

Gotta ask again…are we sure TJ’s is Mary’s? Both the wings/drumstick pages I looked at yesterday said something to the effect of “may contain up to 5% water”

According to Mary’s webpage, their chicken is no water added?

PSA: Whole Mary’s chicken (not organic) are in sale for $1.69/# at Whole Foods on Wilshire and 23rd in SM. I would suspect that deal is going on at a few locations. Give you local store a ring.

I’m not overly loyal to the brand or anything, but it’s a reasonably good and humanely raised bird for a good price.

1 Like

Thank you.

Where can one get these birds in LA? I’ve done dumber things with my money.

You’re getting me one for my birthday? That is so nice!

But I believe we must go to France to get one.

1 Like

:smiley:
Funny! But the article you posted mentioned a similar bird to the bresse. I’m wondering if the US knock-off is tasty.

I think you have to grow your own…

https://greenfirefarms.com/american_bresse.html

This was all I could find on the google.

The 3rd st and Fairfax WH has these on sale too. Today is that last day. Will go on my way home. Thanks again.

1 Like

Mitsuwa Marketplaces sell (organic) Jidori whole chickens, $4.49 per lb.

3 Likes

wgreenb, welcome. Thank you!

Are these chickens still on sale? do you know?

Watch for Whole Foods, Amazon Prime. I paid $1.79/lb recently. Best chicken ever!!! Made Hainanese chicken rice and poached the chicken. Never knew chicken can taste that good. But best not to over cook. Regular price is either $2.99 or $3.99/lb

3 Likes