May 2019 Weekend Rundown

i think it’s more intentional and their “signature” rather than a product of their fast turnover.

Hi @J_L,

I can’t even picture what your bartering must look like:

• @J_L saunters up to the Sushi Bar, brings out a carton of Mulberries.
  • Shunji-san nods at @J_L, quickly makes a couple pieces of Sushi: Bafun Uni, maybe Sakura Masu.
  • @J_L eats it, walks off, ready for the next bang x bang?

:wink: :smile:

Also, I don’t think there’s enough Sakura Ebi in that 1st dish. :stuck_out_tongue: Wow! That looks amazing! :slight_smile:

The Kani Gohan sounds even better!

So where’s the rest of your dinner? :wink:

Thanks for sharing @J_L!

4 Likes

No sushi!!???!!??

I need to prioritize Shunji!!

Goading me into a full meal writeup, huh? Well, it just might work this time… :wink:

3 Likes

Lots of great sushi. And otsumami. I will likely do a separate writeup, as this fits the criteria for “epic meal”.

Haha so that was you! Don’t forget NYC Korean chef Esther Choi who was eating with Yao and Lin!

5 Likes

Lol - Hi Matt, we’ve met at Scoops before!

Next time, introduce me to Chef Choi! :smiley:

1 Like

FIFY

3 Likes

Wondered who she was.
Thanks.

It looks it. Nice report @Chowseeker1999.

1 Like

n/naka’s springtime modern kaiseki… Chef Niki and Chef Carole are simply remarkable in their commitment to caring for every customer. The signature baby abalone spaghettini at n/naka keeps knocking it out of the park on every visit. I dined with a friend who flew 5,000 miles just to eat here.

7 Likes

Lupetti (Arts District) deserves more love. Brooklyn-style slices. Very satisfying…

6 Likes

Kappo Sui (Costa Mesa)

Can I just say how lucky we are here? Let me see if I can name them all…Costa Mesa/Fountain Valley, Cypress, Torrance/Gardena/Lomita/South Bay, Little Tokyo, Sawtelle, Ventura Blvd in The Valley, pockets of places with Japanese food and culture.

Kappo Sui is in a pretty random hidden spot. At night you would drive by it and not realize it.

The decor feels very dated! But I assure this is place is very Japanese!

Battera Sushi

Beef Stew under the Specials menu. Looks Western but has Eastern ingredients but tastes like a good homemade beef stew on the lighter side I am not making any sense

Shiitake with Fishcake

Clams n Sake! This hit the spot with that broth and those clams were so good! I wanted more and more

Mozuku Seaweed in Vinegar. Never had this before! I like this a lot. Very very refreshing, clean tasting, with a small hint of brine.

@beefnoguy I think you asked about this place before. I enjoyed it! I am just apprentice level compared to you though

7 Likes

Hijiki, kimpira, and nishime tossed in salad greens, topped with a sesame soy dressing.

The Delicatessen by Osawa

4 Likes

Thanks for the report back! Looks good and you ordered a nice sample! I had thought about coming here, but ended up having udon and chirashi somewhere else. Next time for sure!

I wish we all could have better access to Japanese saba, and using that for bou sushi or battera, the flavor profile is even more insane.

The beef stew is called gyu suji nikomi and sometimes is a more robust red miso base (this one looks a bit on the light side). Typically it is tendons and bits of connective tissue with a bit of meat or gristle around…rough cuts that are meant for this and braised until tender and super delicious, and begs for a good sake with it, or beer, or Hoppi (hops based beverage cut with shochu to look like beer but heavier). It is a very typical blue collar dish and a signature item at many drinking holes in Japan. Greatly benefits from adding some togarashi or even shichimi (citrus, spice altogether).

Shiitake with fishcake looks like a very distant variation of the Cantonese/Shunde “stuffed three treasures” old school item (seems to have disappeared from dim sum menus too) where they take fish or shrimp paste and stuff them in bell peppers, mushrooms (non shittake), eggplant, deep fry and smother with a cornstarch thickened almost black bean flavored like sauce…except this is a bit more simple.

Yeah asari no sakamushi, steamed clams in sake is really good stuff when the clams are plump, juicy and the sake they use is a good one (extra points if it is one of those umami rich sweeter cooking sake) and super bonus points if they slip in a piece of konbu when steaming it altogether to give it that umami boost. I’d post the kappo style dishes I had Friday night…but am I allowed to post NorCal eats in LA weekend Rundown thread? Haha.

5 Likes

Are you sitting down?..

A Weekend in Chinatown

We postponed our NorCal road trip to early June, but still needed to evacuate our place for a day. So we stretched it into a long weekend.

Our place was like the speakeasy of Airbnbs… nondescript, sad and dated outside - hiding chic, modern, techie inside. And so close to all things DTLA.

Your basic, efficient, little Toto. :wink:

First stop on the buffet pants trail… Little Jewel!

Buy two beers, get the next two for .50 cents. If you don’t use the tickets for beer you can redeem them for coin. We drank 3 beers and gave a ticket to a neighboring table.

Fish & Oyster Po’ Boy

If I had known the fish was going to be catfish I might not have ordered it. But the owners are so conscientious about sourcing, so. Everything was fresh, tasty and fried really well.

Better Bread Shot

Buffalo Chicken Po’ Boy

Boom :boom: I did not expect the flavors and yum of this one. So non-traditional. So gotdamn good! Nicely coated, fried chicken tenders, bold, tangy buffalo sauce, mayo, pickles, tomatoes, crunchy cabbage, all dressing the soft, crusty bread. It really comes together. Skip the cup of bottled blue cheese dressing, you won’t miss it. I’ve read mixed reviews about the bread, but no mixed feelings from me. The bread is right on point and makes the sandwich. This Po’ Boy was a big ‘ole delicious mess. :yum:

Just steps from our crib…

Cà Phê Sữa Dá (iced french coffee w/condensed milk)

When we were in Vietnam I had this and a baguette at the coffee shop every morning in our little hotel. :kissing_heart:

Chả Giò (imperial egg rolls, pork)

The only way not to like these is if you don’t like tasty, crispy, golden, fried exteriors with deliciously savory fillings, wrapped in herbs & lettuce, dipped in a lite, clear, tangy, lightly sweet sauce (nuoc cham). Enough said. :slight_smile:

Phở Gà (#16 - White Boy Special)

The chili & fried garlic oil, jalapeños & basil gave it some kick, but it’s basically a lite, comforting chicken, rice noodle soup.

Phở Chín Nạm (well done brisket)

More complex flavors from the beef, ginger and five-spice.

Feel free to correct any mangled spelling or incorrect descriptions. But no tests, please. :relaxed:

Next up…

An evening at Majordomo

We went late Monday night with plans to sit at the bar. No need, there were tables at the ready.

Old Fashioned w/Four Roses Small Batch Bourbon

Good job tonight. Very tasty!

Brian 3 Pinots 2017 - Tasmania

This fun, delicious, organic / biodynamic pinot (noir, gris, blanc) served chilled is berry juicy, light, bright & long. The somm, Ken, was great @chewchow. He asked what I was ordering (sugar snap peas, crab mafaldine) and if I’d be sharing A’s beef. He also wanted to know what wine I ordered last time. Based on my answers he decided to pick one from the “Something Different” list. He said you’d approve. :slight_smile: We also shared a glass with waiter, Nick, to help with his continuing education. :wink: Tyler stopped by to say “Hi!”

Snap Peas w/Lemon Vinaigrette, Horseradish

It was nice, crunchy, refreshing, w/a mild kick to the mucous membrane. I think I prefer the Bounty Bowl with dipping sauces and @Bookwich’s crunchy salt.

Grilled Denver Steak, Thao’s Greens, Almond Hozon

Our waiter, Nick, loves this steak and A. did too. Flavorful, juicy, beefy chew, small amount of fat. Cook the greens a bit longer, top w/the crunchy nuts & crispy onions, a dollop of the creamy, nutty, fermenty Almond Hozon (born in their crazy, NYC food lab) and you’d have a satisfying rice bowl.

Mafaldine w/Dungeness Crab, Bread Crumbs, Lemon

I saw this being devoured when we were last there and had to order it. :heart_eyes: The sauce w/a touch of soju is silky thin, deliciously funkified with crab fat & tomalley and brightened by lemon. A quick toss of the crispy breadcrumbs marries the thin sauce to the perfectly cooked pasta. It’s like a classic Italian pasta dish with the scallions and other components making it reminiscent of a delicious Chinese noodle dish. It could be a touch less oily, but I’m quibbling. You can seriously fusion me with this dish anytime. I want to try it with a bottle of sake next time! @beefnoguy. :heart:

More Banana than Banana Banana Chocolate Mousse

…and regular coffee w/milk.

Yep, the banana creaminess, cocoa nibs and the crispy, wafer-like bits of feuilletine (crispy crepe) mixed into the mousse make this the dessert for me. :blush:

I mean really.

:roll_eyes:

It was a great evening with very little planning. At times, I think the host/hostesses could be a little more on point and helpful, but we had excellent service otherwise. This night it was very late and I’m sure they were tired, but we had at least 3-4 people waiting on or checking our table at all times. All were helpful & friendly. I really appreciate how hard this team works at creativity, inventiveness, wine selections, etc. I love the experience I feel from some of the great flavors coming out of that kitchen.

Continuing on… A day at Far East Plaza.

Endorffeine pit stop while waiting in line for Howlin’ Ray’s.

Vanilla Pandan Cold Brew Latte & Regular Hot Coffee

The layer of foam comes from drip coffee receiving the steam wand treatment, creating a layer of an almost sweet, malty tasting foam. It’s a smooth, light roast, which if I’m not mistaken is actually stronger in caffeine than dark roast. Too mild for A. but I enjoyed both drinks.

This one’s for you @Chowseeker1999! :kissing_closed_eyes:

Chicken Tender

This is country level but w/a brush of heat. Add a skosh of hot sauce & pepper vinegar. :kissing_closed_eyes: I wouldn’t have stood in line for over an hour to order boneless chicken. But Mario gave us a few and I’m sooo glad. I will gladly stand in line to get a batch of these next time.

Country Level Breast & Wing

I agree with @CiaoBob, the fry was a little uneven and coating was falling off a bit this time. Also, because the country level isn’t masked by yummy spice I could detect the saltiness in the meat from the brine. But it’s still my favorite level (w/the hot & vinegar sauces) and a juicy, flavorful, delicious bird. The best around!

Mild Dark Meat

Mild & Medium Tenders

I must be getting more tolerant of heat because these didn’t kill me.

Collard Greens

I have to admit, @Chowseeker1999, the first time I had these I didn’t love them as much as you and others. Maybe it was an off day or I was avoiding pork, or my snobbery was on duty (I tend to be a harsh critic of southern sides in restaurants). I thought they were good, but not stewed enough, too vinegary & too tomatoey. This time? :stuck_out_tongue: These super flavorful, long stewed collards are fan-f-ing-tastic!

Fried Pickles

Thanks for the tip! If you ask, you will receive. :kissing_closed_eyes: They are so tasty!

Vinegar Slaw

So not Necessary

It’s not such a bad wait if you have time - places to snack, social interaction, people watching and chef Johnny Zone’s staff are really fun and energetic. Some of the HR fans are really nuts. We watched one young guy eat a high level with the provided gloves. He was sweating, crying and had a red ring around his lips from the burn. He was in such a daze when he left he didn’t even notice people trying to speak to him.

We were able to walk almost everywhere. It was part food excursion, part sentimental journey, reminiscing about growing up L.A. - holiday shopping (I still do), family dinners at Plum Tree Inn, Strawberries & Cream Birthday Cakes from the Phoenix Bakery, moms and aunts stocking up on herbs & roots for colds. So many of the same references and stories. :slight_smile:

…And Just a cultural side bar worth mentioning about Chinatown demographics. @chandavkl’s piece about the Hispanic demographic was on point. The makeup of patrons is half Chinese and half Hispanic. In some places dominantly Hispanic. This really hit home when we went into a particular bakery looking for items (don’t even try to find anything filled with black sesame purée in CT) and there was a group of young Hispanic ladies looking thru the wedding cake album. The Chinese lady helping them was speaking fluent, rapid fire Spanish.

Such an interesting city we live in! :heart:

26 Likes

Nice staycation @TheCookie! Thanks for the report back. :slight_smile:

Glad you were able to try out more items from Howlin’ Ray’s and get in a revisit. :blush: Besides the looser breading, I hope you still enjoyed the Fried Chicken? We just went 2 weeks ago and thankfully didn’t have any problems with the breading.

You’re able to handle Level 3 Medium with no problems now? Nice. Are you going to attempt Level 4 Hot next time? (Warning: That level introduces Ghost Chili Pepper.) :open_mouth: :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I think all FTC members should be able to post their weekends from anywhere in the world. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thanks @Chowseeker1999!

Very much!

Haha! I didn’t say “no problems”. And no, I will not attempt Level 4 next time.

:grin: :grimacing:

2 Likes

Outstanding report – looks like a great trip, with some interesting food! Please describe the Phoenix Bakery goodies. The cookies are pretty obvious, but I’m especially interested in those butterfly things on the top right – were they airy or dense? And how were the wintermelon pastries?

1 Like