May 2019 Weekend Rundown

Thank @CeleryVictor!

It was your basic bakery fare. I’ll base my opinion on what went the fastest. The Strawberry Whipped Cream Cake, of course - no Harry’s Berries or anything like that, but just as fresh and delicious as always. The Almond Cookies went next - we really liked the texture. The Sesame Cookies tasted like they were baked on the same sheet pan used for savory foods (garlic, etc). The Wintermelon Pastry was the sleeper - at first they tasted okay. Someone else can probably explain how the pastry is supposed to be, because I thought it was too floury. A couple days later they were much more enjoyable - the pastry tasted less floury and the mild wintermelon filling was more concentrated. Unfortunately, the Butterflies were the weakest link. They look much better than they are. They tasted like fried wonton skins doused in flavorless corn syrup.

We didn’t get any BBQ Pork Buns, which were always a treat when picking up a cake. Too weighed down from Howlin’ Ray’s. :wink:

great report @TheCookie, glad you got to try the banana chocolate mousse. no bs fries?!

1 Like

I know! We got there 30 minutes before kitchen closing and didn’t have the heart to negotiate the fries. What were we thinking?? They would have been perfect with the steak!

2 Likes

I must’ve been flustered haha. Say hi next time!! and I’ll intro you to Esther

1 Like

All good man, you were into your conversation with your party when I left the restaurant.

I :heart: this report!

1 Like

A Friday afternoon at Mercado La Paloma DTLA…

Holbox by Chichen Itza

Aguachile - Baja Half Moon Scallops, Spot Prawns, Lime-Cilantro-Serrano Marinade, Avocado

At first I wasn’t crazy about the raw spot prawns. They aren’t ceviche raw (marinated) or ebi nigiri raw (short boil), they are raw, raw. These supposedly turn to mush quickly after dying, so I understand the preparation. But the texture is glassy, slippery, kinda’ flavorless. Just wait… once they cook a bit in the marinade the sweetness comes out and absorbs the herbal, lime-citrusy, fresh pepper marinade deliciously. :heart:

Prawn Head Stuffed w/Baked, Head Stuff Goodness!

I rooted out and ate every delicious bit @PorkyBelly! And reluctantly gave away the other head. I’d like a batch of these. :heart_eyes:

Chiles Rellenos de Pescado ((3) one is hiding) - Spicy Yellow Chiles Stuffed w/House Smoked Fish, Breaded & Fried, Morita Sauce, Mayo

Normally I’m not a chile relleno lover - not much texture, oily, soft on soft on soft (to me). But instead of the foamy, egg-white batter & melted cheese these have a breaded & fried, crispy, crunchy exterior and that creamy, smoked fish filling. :heart: Small dollops of mayo & swirls of morita sauce make for the perfect schmear. Sooo delicious.

Baja Fish Taco - Battered, Fried Rock Fish, Cabbage, Cherry Tomato, Crema, Mayo, Salsa Roja on Handmade Corn Tortilla

What’s to say? Good flavor, good crunch, a tasty, well-cooked, fresh, baja fish taco. We’d order it again. :slight_smile:

Sample of Salsas

I start w/small samples to gauge which will blow my mouth out. Garlicky Kut is so good but too much crazy :fire:. Morita has nice, sweet smoky heat. But we’ve decided our favorites are the Árbol Chile Sauces - this day we were lovin’ the Árbol-Cacahuate (árbol chile, peanuts). I didn’t bother to ask for the secret Roasted Habanero Sauce from Chichen Itza.

Note: The Holbox online menu is definitely a sample menu. According to the guys working that day there will be no more sopa until fall. Me thinks there will be no more sopa until they find themselves with a lot of unsold seafood the night before. :wink: I probably got on their nerves asking for things I recently saw on reports. The @PorkyBelly got lucky again! There are definitely some permanent menu staples. But mostly you gotta’ go with their flow. Freshness, sourcing and availability is the name of the game here.

Chichen Itza

Salbutes - Fluffy, Corn Tortilla, Lettuce, Shredded Turkey, Pickled Red Onions, Tomato, Slice of Avocado.

Nice & Tasty. Maybe the tortillas could’ve been a smidge puffier and hot sauces help the typically drier turkey. But it’s tasty just the same. I would order again.

Longaniza Asada - Housemade Mesquite Smoked Chorizo, Avocado, Roasted Tomato Sauce, Roasted Onions, Tortillas

Flavor & texture, snappy casings, rich spices, nice char from the mesquite embers. The longaniza reminds me of the linguiça (portuguese sausage) we ate living in MA. :slight_smile:

Pollo Asado - Mesquite Grilled, Boneless Chicken Legs, Marinated in Achiote & Sour Orange Juice, Roasted Red Onions, Fried Plantains, Slaw, Rice & Black Beans, Warm Tortillas

The description speaks for itself. It is a satisfying plate of food, especially if you like dark meat. Of note, the perfectly caramelized plantains. I’m glad we had leftovers - the plain, non-puffy tortillas didn’t travel well, but I got to indulge in my favorite chicken condiment. Hot sauce & Mayo!

P.S. Gotta’ try Chichen Itza’s Potato Salad next time. :slight_smile:

13 Likes

Sweet!

Love your write ups!

1 Like

Thanks! :blush:

Hi @TheCookie,

Nice report! Glad you liked your visit to Holbox again. :slight_smile: This is a breakthrough moment: You enjoyed shrimp head dish! :open_mouth: :wink: What’s next? Maybe a Barbacoa de Borrego Cabeza? (Pit Roasted Lamb Head) :smile:

Yah we love their Salsas as well. But that Habanero Salsa is too much fire, though. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Thanks @Chowseeker1999!

Uhhh… I’m sure pit roasted lamb head is absolutely delicious. :wink: Mmmm… baby steps.

2 Likes

Old Place Cornell.

Oak-Grilled “Old Place Cut” 12 Oz. Sirloin
with Loaded Baked Potato (and I mean loaded)

”Old Place” Steamed Clams

Oak-Grilled Vegetable Salad
with Zucchini, squash, carrots & asparagus. Oak-Grilled Organic White Sage Marinade Chicken

5 Likes

This is one of my favorite places in the greater LA area. Hope you enjoyed it!

1 Like

I do love coming here, too!! It is such a unique place. And a great scenic drive too.

1 Like

Tempo Cantina (Downey)
Brunch with friends. This place can make some great margaritas and drinks. I would come here for happy hour if it was closer to my house. I particularly loved the tamarind, watermelon, and mango margaritas in my flight…and they use the house made agua frescas as a base for their margaritas.

Other bites I enjoyed were their pork belly tacos…crispy pork belly bites served with corn tortillas, a sweet & spicy glaze, and a delightful salsa verde. The tortillas were not house made, but the pork belly with the sauces was great. Admittedly, I did not enjoy my short rib Benedict…the execution did not live up to the concept.

Dessert was a bit gimmicky…these churros were made in the Jalisco style so they were not custardy in the center at all. They were a bit denser than I would have preferred.

I would not come back for brunch, but I would come back for happy hour or dinner to give this place a fair shake.

5 Likes

I’ve been to the Brea location for HH and dinner. Pretty good stuff.

1 Like