May 2022 Rundown

Have not seen Turkey wings outside the South. Low key one of my faves. Appreciate you putting me on to that.

2 Likes

You’re in for a treat! The wing is massive and so tender, the gravy is addictive. Been pretty impressed with Annie’s so far. I absolutely love their red beans and rice and the mac n cheese.

2 Likes

what place you referring to for massive wing of turkey?

1 Like

It looked like " Annie’s Soul Delicious - Little Ethiopia" in the post.

2 Likes

Annie’s Soul Delicious

1 Like

Since goat isn’t very common in Vietnamese food here, when @EattheWorldLA posted on IG a while back about Quán Ăn 909 in Garden Grove, a Viet restaurant that specializes in goat dishes, I had to try it because of my love for goat meat.
Finally checked it out last night and it was absolutely wonderful. Their cà ri dê (goat curry) was comforting and perfect with its tender goat pieces and eggplant and it came with a fantastic baguette (crispy on the outside, fluffy on the inside). The baguette dipped in the curry was so heavenly that I ended up eating three of them. :grimacing: It also came with lime and seasoning salt which it really did not need because it was already seasoned perfectly, imo.
Their BBQ goat kinda reminded me of bulgogi and was nicely charred and delicious as hell with the mint leaves and the dipping sauce which I think was made with bean curd and chili paste. If I had to nitpick, I’d say that I wish the goat was gamier because I personally love that barnyard funk.
All of it was washed down with their very tasty and refreshing passionfruit soda.
I cannot wait to go back and try their goat hotpot and their various goat phở (open-2pm only).

https://yelp.to/v99b1YLmuqb

31 Likes

Wait a minute goat pho???!!!???!!?

Damn what a find @EattheWorldLA and @thechez5

I been out of the Little Saigon food scene for 2 years (someone please keep that thread alive!) but as far as I know that might be the only place doing goat pho. Maybe even the whole west coast. It’s unheard of here on the east coast. Maybe Houston.

Goat Pho!

@hppzz have you tried?

3 Likes

Between gas prices and other matters, only one trip over the hill this month, Baja Sub in Northridge. Since I’d had a lot of rice from the local Indian place, I went with non-rice dishes: (top) chicken kottu roti; (bottom) fish noodles. Left: egg hopper (Friday is Hopper Night!). Also got a malu paan, the spicy tuna filled bun.

14 Likes

Thanks for the shout out! Here is the whole thing from early March since IG has character limits and is stupid. Sorry that I do not know how to make web design look nicer, I’m more about words:

GREAT PLACE. The hot pot is phenomenal.

12 Likes

That might be the best new restaurant in Little Saigon. Nice tight menu with a regional speciality….this is the way.

1 Like

The since closed Hà Tiên Quán in San Gabriel had deer noodle soup. It was quite good. I didn’t manage to get to that place as much as I hoped to.

1 Like

Hello NYC! :yum: Is this a hot take? You can keep the Neapolitan… I’ll take the NY slice any day!

10 Likes

:rofl:

Where is that from? Joe’s?

1 Like

Haha, no it’s a repeat of @JeetKuneBao’s Luigi’s photo farther up-thread. It struck a cord. The perfect NY slice!

2 Likes

:point_up_2:t6: :100:

2 Likes

YES!!! Though I also do enjoy Roman style.

1 Like

Are you talking about the thicker kind cooked in a sheet pan and sold in rectangular slices like Pizzarium Bonici, or the long thin pies like Roscioli, or the super-thin individual round pies cooked to order?

Sheets. Like pizza al taglio in Rome. It’s been well over 20 years since I’ve been there. Not super thick. But slightly thicker.

I did enjoy Mr. @ilromanista ’s version quite a bit. Or when Triple Beam first opened in Highland Park.

1 Like

Cruel World Festival at the Pasadena Rose Bowl - Featuring Punk Rock and a Lunar Eclipse.

Our punk heros are grandparents… and so are we. :sunglasses: There were young folks, old folks, folks with their kids & even grandkids. Ran into a couple old friends, made new ones. No mosh pits, no fights, just a really kush day of punk and post-punk nostalgia. The bands sounded great! Blondie was the bomb! :heart_on_fire: My sister could here the drummer, Clem Burke, shredding it from her house in Altadena.

The food was all vegetarian and/or vegan and there was a crazy amount of it. These are the menus I screenshot but there was more.

I’m usually leery of dishes with a bunch of stuff piled in-under-and-on top of stuff. But! This is one of the best vegan dishes I’ve ever had. Vedge was fresh & crunchy, tasty toppings, blackened tofu & noodles cooked perfectly, the two sauces (a spicy creamy & a hoisin-ish) were sooo good. It was super spicy! :hot_pepper: :two_hearts: We planned on checking out other stalls (read good things about Oono Sushi (v)), but stopped there. This is more of a BOLO than a rec. Out of all the places listed we go to the one place not listed on the lineup and no internet presence. :slightly_frowning_face: I meant to get a card but didn’t, so if anyone out there knows or comes across these peeps give me a buzz please!

Bye May! See ya next year!

13 Likes