May 2022 Rundown

The best thing at Plabito’s is the coffee

2 Likes

As you are a cook, and green garlic will soon be in season, Traditional Toum (Lebanese Garlic Sauce) Recipe. I find it better than Zankou’s.

3 Likes

Bavel over the weekend.

Also got the lamb neck schwarma, which was really good. Best dish I thought was the farmer cheese. Service was a little slow; place was packed both inside and out.

11 Likes

Colpasta is still great. I know next to nothing about how to describe wines, so I can only say that I enjoyed this:

Special dessert was a licorice budino.

Server specifically said that customers who aren’t normally fond of licorice have really enjoyed it, and that applied to me, too. :slight_smile: I don’t know what a “normal” budino texture is. I thought this was quite (enjoyable) loose and light. I actually didn’t get much licorice flavor at all; it seemed to have more a very gentle, savory caramel-y flavor to me. Just yummy.

FYI, they are doing a tiny amount of indoor dining, too.

Lobster and Beer in Santa Monica last night for the first time:

This was really good. The seafood combo was ~$25. The folks at the neighboring table thought the portions were on the smaller side for the price but that the food was very good. I actually think the portion size (esp given the area) is fine for the price. The items in the seafood combo were very unadulterated, which is exactly how I like my seafood.

Lobster was nice and “crisp,” and the shellfish was quite good (aside from a little silt in one clam). The broth initially tasted SUPER salty, but that didn’t affect the seafood at all. Didn’t taste much in the way of wine, so not sure what the prep is.

Partner thought it was reminiscent of going to a New England seafood shack (they plop the food on your table in a to-go container). I don’t really know where else you’re getting reasonably priced seafood in a super casual environment that isn’t also a tourist trap, so I’m pretty happy.

Nachos (w/ an add of short rib) were a messy but surprisingly elevated delight. There actually seemed to be a bechamel at the bottom of the container, so this isn’t the stuff you normally expect at a bar. Served w/ a side of sour cream and 2 salsas (not pictured). The avocado salsa had a nice heat to it.

Partner thought rosé was fine for $9 (which was actually one of their more expensive choices!).

Only demerit is that the food took SO LONG. We were there for nearly 90 mins altogether. There are 2 cooks and 1 person doing what seems to be manager/cashier/serving. Manager did come out to check on us b/c the food was taking so long. We live close by and weren’t in a rush, so we were fine w/ the wait.

I hope this place can keep up the quality b/c I think it could be great.

10 Likes

that’s always my favorite there.

1 Like

This wasn’t all this month, but whatever.

Matu

My friends wanted steaks and we ended up at Matu having heard some interesting things. I’m not a big steakhouse guy, but really enjoyed this. So much so that I’d probably return here specifically if we’re in that mood again.

The best way to do it is start with the set course menu (when we went the only option was 5 courses, but looking at their website it seems like they’ve also now put on a 3 course option and increased the price of the 5 course) and then add anything additional from there. There were 6 of us and we all did the 5 courses–some courses came as individual plates and others (the steaks and the pasta) were family style.

Beef Broth

Baby Iceberg Lettuce with “Japanese” Caesar Dressing

Hand-cut Tartare Piemonte Style - parmigiano and lemon

Fazzoletti - braised beef ragu and parmigiano (addition)

Braised Beef Cheek - celeriac puree

Center Cut Filet with “47” Salad

“Baby Cauliflower” - garlic, red pepper flakes, and fonduta

Ribeye

NY Strip

Picanha

Jon & Vinny’s

Another large group dinner so we were able to get a bunch of dishes–as is the move at Jon & Vinny’s.

Gem Lettuce - calabrian chili dressing, parmigiano, bread crumbs

Burrata - grilled gjusta ciabatta, sea salt, olive oil

Chicken Parmesan - pomodoro, mozzarella

Wood Grilled Broccolini - golden raisin, almond, chili vinaigrette

Bronx Bomber - fennel sausage, tomato, mozzarella, onion, garlic, oregano

“White Lightning” - mozzarella, ricotta, garlic, onion, oregano, pickled jalapeño

Spaghetti - six hour bolognese, parmigiano

Spicy Fusilli, - vodka, basil, parmigiano

Warm Strawberry Bread Pudding - soft whip

Soft Serve (twist, duh)

Bar Moruno

Blah

Minerva Skinless Sardines in Spicy Tomato

Decent tinned fish brought down by terrible bread.

Anchovy Matrimonio - anchovies lemon, shaved butter, garlic confit, pickled red onion

Too much acid, terrible bread again.

Chorizo Scotch Egg

Incredibly salty. Thankfully no bread.

Roasted Sweet Potato - cashews, sesame seeds, brown butter, honey, sumac

The best dish we had!

They forgot to bring the pan con tomate we ordered, but we decided it was best to tap out after that.

15 Likes

That’s a shame, 'cuz I thought that was Bar Moruno’s best dish…

8 Likes

Wtf? That’s not pan con tomate. Looks pretty good tho :joy:

3 Likes

Not that it’s what I"d expect, but that is literally pan con tomate.

2 Likes

That’s like calling this mac and cheese because it’s literally macoroni and cheese

5 Likes

Technically correct is the best kind of correct

5 Likes

Exactly.

I once ordered a semifreddo for dessert at an Italian restaurant and they brought me a wedge of American layer cake straight out of the refrigerator.

This is the best joke lol

1 Like

Bar Moruno has a menu best described as unorthodox Spanish-Provençal-esque…

You are :100: right. I wouldn’t mind the chefy versions so much if you could get a proper one easier

Except that that macaroni and cheese looks terrible and the roasted cherry tomatoes on toast look delicious.

Causita

I’ve always liked Peruvian food and, specifically, Chef Zarate’s food. We went for my friend’s birthday and were not disappointed. Everything was good to great, though maybe not as revelatory as when I was initially introduced to him in the glorified/glorious food court that is Mercado de Paloma. The price tag was reasonable, given that everything is a bit higher these days. Steak (not pictured), at $60, was the best QPR. Service was good and the back patio is wonderfully chill for a group of (older) friends to catch up without shouting.

13 Likes

I ordered fried chicken and they gave me this, which is technically correct.

10 Likes

That’s actually baked chicken. Give it a few tabs of acid for fried chicken.

24 Likes

Pasta Sisters (Culver City)

I want to know how this pasta is so perfect for this reasonable price? Texture, chew is just so good!

First time having the bottarga sauce…I really enjoyed having this plate of ocean pasta.

22 Likes