May 2022 Rundown

Cruel World Festival at the Pasadena Rose Bowl - Featuring Punk Rock and a Lunar Eclipse.

Our punk heros are grandparents… and so are we. :sunglasses: There were young folks, old folks, folks with their kids & even grandkids. Ran into a couple old friends, made new ones. No mosh pits, no fights, just a really kush day of punk and post-punk nostalgia. The bands sounded great! Blondie was the bomb! :heart_on_fire: My sister could here the drummer, Clem Burke, shredding it from her house in Altadena.

The food was all vegetarian and/or vegan and there was a crazy amount of it. These are the menus I screenshot but there was more.

I’m usually leery of dishes with a bunch of stuff piled in-under-and-on top of stuff. But! This is one of the best vegan dishes I’ve ever had. Vedge was fresh & crunchy, tasty toppings, blackened tofu & noodles cooked perfectly, the two sauces (a spicy creamy & a hoisin-ish) were sooo good. It was super spicy! :hot_pepper: :two_hearts: We planned on checking out other stalls (read good things about Oono Sushi (v)), but stopped there. This is more of a BOLO than a rec. Out of all the places listed we go to the one place not listed on the lineup and no internet presence. :slightly_frowning_face: I meant to get a card but didn’t, so if anyone out there knows or comes across these peeps give me a buzz please!

Bye May! See ya next year!

13 Likes

At first I read the bill backwards and thought, how the fuck did they talk The Church into going on after Devo? OK, Bauhaus, that works. Amazing that it’s the original lineup, nobody died yet. Good luck Morrissey.

I realized the other day while listening to T. Rex (Tyrannosaurus Rex) Radio - Listen to T. Rex (Tyrannosaurus Rex), Free on Pandora Internet Radio that it was the Velvet Underground and its descendants that turned me against all those hippie bands I used to like.

2 Likes

… but the real question is… did Morrissey take off his shirt and throw it into the crowd (and should he have at this point???)?

1 Like

What crowd? They put Morrissey on last so everybody could be home by 10.

3 Likes

#BigmouthStrikesAgain

2 Likes

Lol I was about to write my impressions - it was a tight show. The bands were well rehearsed and well prepared both musically and physically, even Morrissey, but not enough to take his shirt off and throw it in the crowd. :sweat_smile: Yes @robert there was still a crowd, but we faded.

2 Likes

1 Like

Omg! Lol. I was trying to stay neutral, but for real, I told my husband that Morrissey was reminding me of a “post-punk lounge singer”. He said “I saw The Smiths in 1985. Let’s go.”

4 Likes

The Smiths were a great band. So was the Who, but I wouldn’t ask Roger Daltrey to follow Bauhaus.

3 Likes

yeahhhhhh---- agreed… bauhaus would be the late night band to end the show… Morrissey (in his current state) should be dinner time or shortly thereafter…

2 Likes

A sweet and tender hooligan, that one…

1 Like