May 2023 Rundown

Is this Secret Pizza?

folks pizzeria

Ohhhh. I thought “Folks” was addressing us….

You could make your own lox. I can’t find any recipes without sugar (which Russ & Daughters does not use). With sugar I’d call it gravlax.

1 Like

That’s so funny I actually thought about that.

I thought Russ and Daughters got theirs from Acme seafood.

That actually might be the best idea!! Though I’m probably sure I would butcher the hell out of trying to slice it like the guy at the fish counter.

As a kid, I used to be amazed at how skilled they were at slicing lox paper thin.

2 Likes

I believe they get most or all of their fish from Acme, though they may not be identical to what Acme sells under its own name. Acme reportedly does a lot of custom stuff.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-01-05/the-best-smoked-salmon-in-new-york-all-comes-from-one-place

2 Likes

Prime cheese

2 Likes

The key is buying thin flexible salmon knife. $15-20 dollars and anyone can slice thin.

buy best quality salmon you can afford. really easy to do with an an equilibrium cure. I personally like 2.5% salt and 1.5% sugar as starting point. Feel free to adjust or omit (the sugar)

4 Likes

You’ve never met me lol!!

Thanks for the advice! I may give it a whirl. But right now I’m off carbs, so it may have to wait a while.

1 Like

You left off a zero.

https://www.amazon.com/Wusthof-1040102432-CLASSIC-Salmon-Stainless/dp/B085V62B5M

To each their own, but i prefer this $23 one and makes paper thin slices for me for years

https://www.amazon.com/Mercer-Culinary-M23010-Millennia-10-3-Inch/dp/B06XGPCGQB/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3LM9IZ5ZD28LK&keywords=SALMON%2BKNIFE&qid=1684517049&s=home-garden&sprefix=salmon%2Bknife%2Cgarden%2C135&sr=1-4&th=1

Smoked some Novalox couple weeks ago, sliced with said knife

11 Likes

Wait, are the carbs from the sugar in the cure or the accompanying bagel? I enjoy salmon on its own. :slight_smile:

Oui Melrose

The Fried fish sandwich definitely matches the hype. $12 for a double stacked fresh out of the fryer fillet o fish. Awesome

Babushka Grandmas Deli

Tried some random food at Babushka Grandmas Deli for Ukrainian food. Awesome spot and definitely will be back. Tried their eggplant, lamb meatball, stuffed cabbage roll, all just comforting food that I rarely get to eat

Found oyster is still incredible even with a 1 hour wait.

Porridge and Puffs is awesome - definitely don’t sleep on the slaw

A’s BBQ

had a bbq taco popup out of their backyard in ELA. All excellent

Clockwise starting from he Pickled Onion taco
Pickled Onions Taco - Smoked Beef Tongue Taco
Pastrami El 69 -an homage to Langer’s #19.
Smoked Beef Cheek
Glizzy Wrap - Sausage

Start with the glizzy to appreciate how good their inhouse sausage is. Its one of the better sausages I’ve had, however, I recommend starting with this because it only gets better from here.
Favorite was the Smoked Tongue Taco with Pickled Onions. Just a wonderful lengua texure with the extra smoke and just a sense of care going into everything.
Pastrami taco was great, didn’t care for the cole slaw but still really good and I think does justice to the #19
Beef cheek was stupidly tender, almost to the point of not having any texture. Pretty damn good

All tacos were served on their fragrant rye torillas. they’re massive tacos, I think 2 tacos per person is a great starting spot, and possibly going for seconds to top off.

They haven’t done this popup since last year, but they’re planning on doing more during the summer so I definitely recommend checking them out!

15 Likes

The bagel.

I do like it “not on a bagel”, but it’s just not the same. For me it would be like eating the cheese off of pizza and leaving the sauce and crust. It’s ok, tasty, but not great.

4 Likes

Most if not all smoked salmon has sugar in the cure. Traditional lox is just salted.

1 Like

I had a keto friend who just did that it made me borderline angry that she was ruining our pizzas!

1 Like

Lol, they’re everywhere.

I’ll just buy my own crap pizza and eat just the cheese and toppings when I’m on keto. I wouldn’t ruin it for someone else though!

3 Likes

That’s more common than I woulda thought. I recently went to Will Rogers Park for a picnic and was surprised to here other Angelenos say the same thing. Hmmm…

4 Likes

IMHO just go to Salsa and Beer and get your keto order. Carnitas I believe.
You can melt mozzarella, sauce and pepperoni in a non-stick pan and not have to deal with stripping it from the crust. Frico!

2 Likes

:joy:

1 Like