Mediocre Day at Grand Central Market - Belcampo, Wexler's, Madcapra, Olio's, etc

hahaha. awesome

1 Like

Ahem, I believe the term is “snobs.”

http://www.yelp.com/topic/redondo-beach-oh-shizza-zagat-vs-chowhound-vs-yelp-vs-the-world

9 years old, yes, but still wins you that bet, ipse.

That’s so, um, 2007.

1 Like

Yep. I use Yelp quite a bit because of their bookmark function. Someone is always telling me "try his place’ and then I don’t remember the exact name or where it was… with bookmarks, I can easily just file it away and reference it when I’m there at the location. In fact, I wish the bookmarks function was more robust.

–Dommy!

3 Likes

I am both a Yelper and a FTC/CH. Yelp is useful, as others mentioned, for photos and as a directory. I also find many of the reviews helpful, whether for a quick check of favorite dishes, for prices, or for practical tips such as parking and restaurant temperature (e.g., do I need to bring a sweater?). I do not take reviews at face value, whichever site I check. I critically read reviews and discussions and form my own opinions.

As for GCM, the renewal, for me, erased the ambience and experience of the market. I used to love strolling the stalls, picking up pan dulce, jugos or liquidos, produce or spices, and lunch. Many of those vendors have now been replaced, as has much of the character and clientele. I really hope the original vendors that remain can hang on. Usually I end up at Tacos Tumbras a Tomas (carnitas torta!), but Sarita’s and Roast to Go also hit the spot. I’ve never tried Moreliana…I’ll have to give it a go. I’m on a modest budget, so most of new options are above my normal lunch price point. I’m all for more options for good food, but I wish a new food court had been opened to supplement (rather than supplant) GCM. That said, I’ll continue to visit and support GCM.

1 Like

@chinchi definitely give Villa Moreliana a try. :smile: As an FYI, their wonderful Carnitas tacos (try the Costilla (I added my my thoughts in a separate taco thread here)) are $2.50, but as Barry pointed out it’s easily like 3 (THREE) times the size of a normal $1 street taco. So you get your money’s worth.

1 Like

I had two of their tacos once while on lunch from jury duty. It was hard enough staying awake in the courtroom to begin with. Had I not had the extra hour the judge gave us for lunch before reconvening, I probably would have been snoring in the jury box.

2 Likes

And they are just reasonable in price enough to cover your fuckin jury stipend for the day.

I once did Wxlers smoked sturgeon bagel, a taco carne asada from Tomas and Tombras and the mighty iconic GCM burger. And washed down with an iced latte for good measure.

And that ain’t no fucking joke.

2 Likes

Yeah. But they won’t slice up say a half dozen cheeses for your liking to consume on the premises.

And those pre-packaged, pre-fucking-ordained cheese plates and beyond soporific.

And that’s no fucking joke.

1 Like

In some fucking cases it may just amount to the meat in four Lilliputian street tacos.

They also have a WONDERFUL Pineapple Agua Fresca. I always get that no matter what I order at GCM.

–Dommy!

1 Like

Best quote from that thread:

“I cannot stand CH. Not only are they food snobs, they don’t know what they are talking about half of the time. They seem to just follow trends and if something gets too trendy, they say they hate it.”

The response to that is a little zippy for yelp:

“oh…i may be at the wrong site…I’m a food snob who follows trends and don’t know what I’m talking about 1/2 the time…plus, not so sure I’m related to fun…”

1 Like

[quote=“secretasianman, post:37, topic:615”]
GCM is becoming a place for yelpers[/quote]
Can not begin to fathom this statement.

Do you not see the paisanos drinking coor’s (light) at China Cafe at 10am? Sure as shit they’re not on Yelp cuz I see 'em talking on flip phones.

Would you also call Ferry Building, Pike’s Place (or even La Boqueria) “places for Yelpers”?

2 Likes

I even hit up fucking China Café and it wasn’t good and you’re right wasn’t quite a Yelper type of fucking joint.

And upon trying China Café I still lived to tell the tale.

It was like eating in a fucking museum.

THIS. Even on the weekends, it’s a large cross section of L.A. that still goes and enjoys the place.

–Dommy!

1 Like

Yeah, I need to switch to that. Morliana’s tacos are tasty and well worth the $2.50 in quality and quantity. But OMFG!!! $3.75 for a Jarittos? WTF?!?

I know… when you told me I was nearly knocked out. Jarritos are also the WORST of the Mexican sodas!

The agua fresca is HUGE too!

–Dommy!

What can I say, I like the orange and they are available at just about every Mexican food joint. I usually stick with water or an agua fresca, but there’s something about fried pork washed down with soda that hits that soft spot in my heart. Probably the spot that’s getting clogged up with cholesterol.

3 Likes

Ferry Building. Yes. Most definitely.