Mediocre Day at Grand Central Market - Belcampo, Wexler's, Madcapra, Olio's, etc

and i seriously fucking wished, seriously, that Katz’s served better rye bread.

but if i’m not mistaken, the rye bread from Wexler’s is better than the rye bread from Katz’s but both ryes are worse than Langer’s.

And that’s no fucking joke.

2 Likes

My last visit to Katz’s last year was so disappointing, it is just a shadow of it’s former self. And the line is beastly.

I feel kind of like it has become some kind of Lower East Side Hotel (or Jewhotel) in Vegas. Purely for tourists or “When Harry Met Sally” freaks; nothing feels authentic anymore. The hard salami wasn’t hard - neither hung nor dried properly - they just cut up a fresh one. Yes, they “piled it high” but it was shit. Pastrami was fine but the bread and meat are much tastier at Langer’s. I wanted to cry.

Had Katz over the summer… found it preposterous that anyone would even compare it to places in LA such as Langer’s, Greenblatt’s, etc…

I think NYC has lost their pastrami title, though perhaps they don’t know it since apparently no one comes to LA for pastrami (yet).

so it ain’t so. ok, maybe that’s just better for my waistline. maybe i’m going to have to hit p the 2nd ave deli instead.

at least it’s kosher ??? so i can feel quite salubrious about it.

hmmmm, the carnegie deli is definitely out too.

maybe pastrami king or queen will to the proverbial trick.

1 Like

Update 2: On a recent visit, hit up a few more places and revisited some others.

Eggslut

I usually skip the ridiculous lines (usually wrapping around the booth and blocking other stalls), but decided to try brave the lines today, in the mood for some Eggs.

Slut (a coddled egg on top of a smooth potato purée, poached in a glass jar, topped with gray salt and chives):

Their signature Egg dish, the “Slut” tasted the same as the first time I had it. Pretty luscious, with a delicate coddled egg that breaks open and fills in a gorgeous orange hue as the yolk rolls out onto the pureed potato base. Is it worth the 45 minute wait during the madhouse peak hours? Not sure.

Ramen Hood:

Chef Ilan Hall’s (Top Chef, formerly of The Gorbals) new “controversial” restaurant has opened at Grand Central Market. It’s a 100% Vegan Ramen Noodle joint.

They offer 2 types of Vegan Ramen (Spicy or Non-Spicy). We went with the original.

“Ramen” (Sunflower Seed Broth, King Oyster Mushroom, Bean Sprouts, Scallions, Chili Threads, Nori):

Definitely skeptical, but I wanted to see what was up, LOL. A sip of the Sunflower Broth and it’s… surprisingly tasty! It won’t make you miss real Ramen Broth, but it’s a White Miso and Sunflower Seed base, giving the Ramen soup a smooth, lush quality.

The Ramen Noodles (Vegan) have a little bit of spring to them and some chew. Probably the best Vegan Ramen Noodles I’ve tried so far (the one at Shojin was nowhere near as good).

The “Egg” is an interesting thing: Chef Hall has created a faux-Egg from Soybean Milk. It dissolves quickly in your mouth, so it’s not really like a real soft/hard boiled egg, but it’s a fun treat to give vegans an experience like a traditional ramen joint.

The only major miss in this Ramen was the “meat,” the King Oyster Mushroom chunk. There’s a large chunk of King Oyster Mushroom that is supposed to be the vegan equivalent of Chashu I suppose. Some Mushrooms have excellent texture to give a “meaty” type of chew and feel, but the King Oyster Mushrooms they were serving when we went was not very tasty. Just lacked any real flavor and tasted flat. Compared to say, a great Portobello, Shiitake or Crimini Mushroom.

A side order of Broccoli (Soy Chili Glaze, Scallions):

Was just awesome! :smile: Really really flavorful Broccoli, with a nice sear and that Soy Chili Glaze was great.

The menu listed a “Banh Mi Poutine” which at first caught my eye, until I read that it was: Fries covered in Hoisin Gravy, Pickled Veggies, Sriracha, Daiya Cheese, Jalapenos, Cilantro. :unamused: :tired_face: It just sounded unappetizing, imagining super sickly sweet Hoisin Sauce with Sriracha and Pickled Veggies and Daiya Cheese, etc. LOL.

I’d be down to try their Spicy Vegan Ramen next time to see how that compares.

Madcapra (Part 2):

Went back for another visit to Madcapra to give it another shot.

Red (Falafel with Tomato, Cabbage, Pickles, Tahini & Basil):

This time it was much better than the last visit. The flatbread was grilled, but nowhere near as charred burnt as last time (which ruined the dish for us). This non-burnt flatbread this time allowed us to actually enjoy the food, and the Red had a good flavor combination, with the Tomato, Pickles and Cabbage crunch and the Tahini.

The one knock is that it was just too goopy. :frowning: Just way too much slathering, oversauced feel (your hands get covered in the oozing sauce, kinda gross. It also overwhelms the sandwich.

Villa Moreliana:

Birria Taco (Goat):

Since @kevin was asking about this last time, I decided to resist temptation in ordering Villa Moreliana’s ridiculously great Carnitas and tried their Birria (Goat) Taco.

The Birria was tender, juicy and pretty solid. It wasn’t as great as their Carnitas, but if someone wanted non-Pork this is a good order.

Grand Central Market (Downtown L.A.)
317 S. Broadway
Los Angeles, CA 90013

5 Likes

Morellias also has goat on occasion (Usually on the weekends, but ask). People come specially for it so it goes quick, but it’s EXCELLENT.

–Dommy!

For me, their broth tasted a bit pasty. Hard to describe, maybe if I didn’t know it was vegan, I might have had a different reaction. Dunno.

Good to know ipse. When we went, Chef Hall wasn’t in the kitchen, not sure if he was there when you went. For our bowl it was actually fine (not pasty), but it just wasn’t as savory and deep as a real meat-based version.

I love goat and always seem to miss out when I’m there. :cry:

Finally got a chance to try Wexler. Got half and half of smoked salmon and sturgeon. Thought the smoked fish was nothing to shout about although I did enjoy the accompanying bagel.

Definitely preferred the sturgeon from Barney Greengras, far superior - more pronounced smoke but not overwhelming and moist (oily really). Shame they’re no longer around.

EGGSLUT continues to elude me, 'effin closed on a day they were supposed to be open :rage:!!!

1 Like

Ok so I finally made it to eggsslut this morning, I think the sandwiches are decent

The ‘Slut’ however I think is a horrible QPR; egg (singular) over mashed potatoes and two thin slices of baguette - that’s it for $9 ?!?!?!?!!? I was expecting Robuchon’s silky mashed potatoes topped with some simpler rendition of the Arpege egg.

Guess I’m not blown away by all the hype and long lines…

Btw, in the span of 2 yrs GCM is now officially gentrified. They should rename it “Grand Central Food Court”.

1 Like

Spring Street Arcade is the next stop for gentrification, still half vacant though.

1 Like

Or “Gentrified Central Market”

1 Like

With the death of the 2 produce vendors next to Belcampo, the market seems to be going some sort of a cliff…

I know I’ve been on the fanboi bandwagon since Sticky Rice opened but… seeing the empty veggie “pit” right now makes me officially scared for the future of GCM as a populist’s destination.

I think the term “market” really no longer applies to the place… out of the 38 vendors only 6 are ‘market’ vendors. Only 4 (10%) if you exclude the discount store in the basement and the jewelry store. Or 6 if you include Belcampo and DTLA Cheese…

Totally agree here. Eggslut is good, but not enough to warrant the lines and QPR.
I tried once and all I could think was, “I waited 25 mins for something I can make 100 times better at home for a fraction of the price!”

I guess you can count Knead & Co a ‘market’, since they sell pastas, sauces, and cheese.

2 Likes

and the fancy liquor store…

market"place"? I treat it as a market though. Dunno, still feeling sad.

Never thought I’d say this but the owners at the Ferry building seem to have managed the balance of “market” vs. food joints over the last decade… Albeit with gentrified expensive purveyors (though the proximity to the FiDi and techie workforce I’m sure helps support a sustainable turnover). At least they still have the farmer’s market days.

I don’t think this rapid decline at GCM is positive in the city admin’s desire to re-position DTLA as a residential community. I sure can’t afford $16 brekkie’s every day…

I think it reflects the buying power (and preferences) of the people who can actually afford to live in DTLA. I mean there’s a reason 8th/Grand got a Whole Foods instead of a Vallarta right?

1 Like

Thanks for the stats @Ns1, very informative. It’s will be interesting to see what happens when meaningful family formation occurs with the 89%. Them little critters are expensive…

Although there seems like a fair share of empty nesters too that could be skewing the stats.