Mei Qing Choi

Got some in our CSA box today. Stir-fry like bok choi with garlic and oyster sauce? Or what?

Yup, pretty much what I would do

If you want something a little lighter, I’m very fond of this recipe (for bok choy, but obviously it’ll work). Very simple, and I always enjoy it.

1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
5 thin slices peeled fresh ginger
4 to 5 heads baby bok choy, (1 pound), each halved lengthwise

In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, soy sauce, and sesame oil. Set aside. In a large skillet with a tight-fitting lid, bring 1 cup water and ginger to a boil. Add the bok choy; reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook until leaves are vibrant green and stems are fork-tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain well; discard ginger. Transfer bok choy to a serving platter; drizzle with the vinegar-soy mixture, and serve immediately.

3 Likes

Lovely! I like to cut them in half, brush with sesame oil… sear on a hot grill pan. Then place a wok cover or metal bowl over for a second. Take out and sprinkle with salt. THen you can add it to any rice bowl (Since the grill pan is hot, you can cook up some marinated chinese/korean chicken/beef/chicken/shrimp/fish. Or with another veggie like Japanese/Chinese eggplant. It’s also super yummy in asian soups.