Merkaz by Michael Solomonov

The newest restaurant from mike solomonov is serving delicious pita sandwiches and the same great hummus and pita from dizengoff.

hummus of the day

hummus foul

pita

beets

jerusalem grill - turkey, chicken hearts, onions, tehina, pickles
Really good, the turkey and chicken were extremely tender, could have used a bit less pickles.

sabich - fried eggplant, haminado egg, chopped salad, amba, tehina
The best fucking non-meat sandwich I’ve had in a long time. Loved everything in this especially the crispy eggplant and perfectly creamy egg balanced with the freshness of the salad. @TheCookie, @Chowseeker1999, @Bookwich

7 Likes

:drooling_face: Did you travel to Philly for this? Hehe…

1 Like

Hi @PorkyBelly,

That looks so good! Thanks for the tip and great report. :slight_smile:

How did their pita compare with Bavel’s freshly made ones?

1 Like

I can’t remember if it was at the Now Serving event or on Good Food but someone asked him what Israeli dish he would recommend that’s not as ubiquitous as falafel et al and he brought up sabich. Would love to try his version.

Any good sabich places in la? @frommtron

I’m not well read in sabich but I love the version at Dune.

2 Likes

I liked the sabich at Dune a lot. It’s been some time since I’ve had it, but I remember there being some untraditional elements to it. Still, it’s delicious and they have a house made amba that’s nice.

I’d say, though, Hasiba had my top sabich in LA.

1 Like

Decided to take a long lunch

2 Likes

You broke your own record for the longest lunch trip. What was it previously? 224 miles?

1 Like

Bavel’s pita is softer, fluffier and more absorbent, merkaz/dizengoff’s is thinner, more dense and sturdier. Kind of like a terry cloth vs waffle knit bathrobe.

3 Likes