Meteora - The Gaffe of Kahn II

how jordan picks his flavor combinations

12 Likes

This is what food tastes like when distilled to their core mineralogical elements of leaf, root, stem, seed, shell, flesh, and bone.

Yā€™all just donā€™t understand.

14 Likes

Is there any outdoor seating here? Or would that let the incense and ~vibes~ disperse too far?

no outdoor seating but the main dining room does have a hole in the ceiling (so god can watch you eat?)

5 Likes

Cannot-see-thru-wall deity better possess other divine powersā€¦

3 Likes

I thought Providence had the absolute best takeout for that exact reasonā€”they gave you heads up a week in advance what the dishes would be and EXACTLY what you needed to do at home. It was practically foolproof.

I ordered the Vespertine x Alinea takeout and found it a little too precious. Later looked at the ā€œbe the chefā€ version instructions and lost my mind. It was like 45 pages of insanity that no home cook would be able to pull off, successfully, in a reasonable amount of timeā€”EVEN if theyā€™d given instructions in advance. I work at a 1-star and even I wouldnā€™t do all that shit just trying to have a nice meal with my family.

Regarding the unifying factor behind the dishes, on my visit, it seemed to beā€¦ primal cooking techniques? Most everything was cooked over coals or embers, grilled, that kind of shit. I donā€™t know if thatā€™s actually the thrust of the restaurant but given the decor and plate descriptions? There is no unifying flavor profile (which Iā€™m not necessarily opposed to). Combinations ranged from Southeast Asia to the Middle East, even more trad French at times.

5 Likes

Which reminds me of the traditional explanation of why one was supposed to drape a napkin over oneā€™s head while eating an Ortolan.

3 Likes

I was serious with my reply. This is literally out of the Meteora job description:

Job Details

Seeking creative chefs for the future of gastronomy, helping to develop and establish new paradigm, acting as a model for the future.

From the creative mind of an award-winning, 2-Michelin star chef, comes a new, immersive restaurant experience. A holistic brand and concept with initiatives based in gastronomy, hospitality, art, design, and sound.

INNOVATIVE CUISINE

A highly conceptual and creative cuisine, combining ancient primordial cooking methods and modern techniques. Meticulously-sourced ingredients cooked over live fire, distilled to their core mineralogical elements of leaf, root, stem, seed, shell, flesh, and bone.

1 Like

Weā€™ve emulsified locally sourced scallops, encased in a flash-frozen seawater roe blend, on a bed of foraged huckleberry foam, all bathed in the smoke from Douglas fir cones.

It was indeed more work than Iā€™ve ever done for ā€œtake outā€ at home, and the entire meal did take a long time, like 3 hours. But my wife and I had a blast and Iā€™d do it again. The skill required was relatively low, so I disagree that no home chef could pull it off:

The Alinea meal (which I didnā€™t get) feels more like the exception than the rule, and presumably an intentional part of the experience from what I read of their description. Otherwise, mostly thereā€™s a lot of dishes so that takes some time, but the individual instructions are pretty straightforward if you have cooking experience. I appreciated the thought that went into the construction of the experience. Most things come in the a nice oven safe container for reheating if they need it. The Peru menu had par cooked rice so that it was the correct texture when heated through. The new years dover sole was raw and directions were spot on for cooking it.

1 Like

I didnā€™t do the Alinea meal but did many of the others and tend to agree that the prep wasnā€™t that difficult but it was precise. Providenceā€™s menu prep was also very good, very clear - perhaps easier than Vespa - and had a nifty video that was usually cute and informative.

4 Likes

Honestly no offense, but I genuinely thought that was a joke. I passed a screenshot around of that to friends, some of whom have dined here, and we all had a good laugh. What is it supposed to mean??

ā€œWeā€™ve distilled our beef rib into its mineralogical elements of flesh and bone.ā€
ā€œWeā€™ve distilled the mineralogical element of avocado leaf into a tostada shell and then added an ungodly mix of herbs and spices (which are, in essence, distilled elements of roots, stems, and seeds).ā€

Ignoring whatever arbitrary definition of ā€œmineralogical elementsā€ for food exists, there is nothing ā€œdistilledā€ about most of the dishes here. That word implies something that is pure and refined, not a dish where youā€™ve grabbed every single thing in your garden and thrown it on a plate.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s encouraging to hear the ā€œbe the cookā€ version of the Alinea one was achievable. Iā€™m probably biased because 3hrs of active prep at homeā€“candying bacon and hanging it from a wire and all thatā€“is a little more than Iā€™d like to do on my day off, but I can see how itā€™d be fun.

1 Like

ā€˜I donā€™t know what you mean by ā€œgloryā€,ā€™ Alice said.

Humpty Dumpty smiled contemptuously. ā€˜Of course you donā€™t ā€” till I tell you. I meant ā€œthereā€™s a nice knock-down argument for you!ā€ā€™

ā€˜But ā€œgloryā€ doesnā€™t mean ā€œa nice knock-down argumentā€,ā€™ Alice objected.

ā€˜When I use a word,ā€™ Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, ā€˜it means just what I choose it to mean ā€” neither more nor less.ā€™

ā€˜The question is,ā€™ said Alice, ā€˜whether you can make words mean so many different things.ā€™

ā€˜The question is,ā€™ said Humpty Dumpty, ā€˜which is to be master ā€” thatā€™s all.ā€™

3 Likes

He makes the dishes sound consistently well conceived and delicious with no missteps, quite a contrast with reports here.

kevin hasnā€™t met a restaurant or dish he hasnā€™t liked.

8 Likes
1 Like