Michelin California

I went for dinner a few weeks ago and you can tell that since I haven’t posted a report that it’s mid.

2 Likes

so - which one of these is getting a star?

shunji has one already so I’m guessing it’ll get one again in the new location

THe manzke review is particularly glowing

1 Like

Actually the inspectors try far more places than end up in the guide. The selection is weird mostly because the company is French.

How do you know?

I would believe that the inspectors are trying a bunch of unlisted French restaurants in, say, Paris. But I do not believe that the inspectors are trying a bunch of unlisted Thai, Mexican, and Korean restaurants in LA.

You believe a lot of nonsense.

5 posts were split to a new topic: What the fuck are you all even talking about: threat or menace?

Because Team Manzke knows which boxes to check (and good on them for knowing that)… #TheyHadThemAtFoieGras

2 Likes

I’m convinced Michelin inspectors do their homework not just by that New Yorker article but also because of the solid choices they’ve made in the SF Bay Area over the years. The non-star listings always have a few off-the-radar places.

They’re clearly not doing a deep dive into Chinese restaurants in the SGV they way they do in Hong Kong.

Thai, well, they’re clearly not using anybody else’s list of greatest hits.

Mexican, same, though they’re not doing a deep dive in East LA or the OC.

1 Like

I would say takeda

takeda is the only restaurant i’ve been to in LA that i think deserves a Michelin star but didn’t get one. republique is really close for me, but i don’t feel passionate.

note: i still have never been to kaneyoshi except for takeout.

• Bird & Buffalo (Oakland)
  • Cyrus (Geyersville)
  • Hi Felicia (Oakland)
  • Itria (San Francisco)
  • Ken (San Francisco)
  • Osito (San Francisco)
  • Yuji (San Francisco)
1 Like

AMA Sushi (Montecito)

asterid by Ray Garcia (Los Angeles)

Bar Le Côte (Los Olivos)

Bird & Buffalo (Oakland)

Caboco (Los Angeles)

Camphor (Los Angeles)

Chulita (Venice)

Cyrus (Geyersville)

Damian (Los Angeles)

The Dutchess (Ojai)

Ember (Arroyo Grande)

The Hatch (Paso Robles)

Hatchet Hall (Los Angeles)

Hi Felicia (Oakland)

in bloom (Paso Robles)

Itria (San Francisco)

Ken (San Francisco)

Kingfisher (San Diego)

Kinn (Los Angeles)

Kodō (Los Angeles)

LA Cha Cha Chá (Los Angeles)

Les Petites Canailles (Paso Robles)

Matū (Beverly Hills)

Meteora (Los Angeles)

Nate’s on Marsh (San Luis Obispo)

Osito (San Francisco)

peasants FEAST (Solvang)

Pizzeria Bianco (Los Angeles)

Ramen & Tsukemen TAO (Buena Park)

Rebel Omakase (Laguna Beach)

Saffy’s (Los Angeles)

San Laurel (Los Angeles)

Sushi Kaneyoshi (Los Angeles)

Valle (Oceanside)

Yangban Society (Los Angeles)

Yuji (San Francisco)

Yunomi Handroll Bar (Los Angeles)

2 Likes

Anyone been to In Bloom yet?

https://www.inbloompasorobles.com/menu

1 Like

I like Bird & Buffalo, but there’s better Thai in LA. Or for that matter in El Cerrito.

I’ve heard great things about Nari but have yet to try. Probably will shortly if we can get in. I should give Kin Khao another try, too.

I’m surprised that Ramen & Tsukemen TAO made the list. I’ve been a few times in the last year and it’s been way too salty for me.

Sergio had moved into digs in Orange, but has since closed that location. Perhaps he couldn’t QC with both locations.

Not yet. I live up in the area so I need to hit this place.

Old news, right? Bizarre that they’d add a closed place.

The latest L.A. additions are Asterid, Caboco (which is currently closed in the Arts District but expected to reopen in a yet-to-be-announced location), Camphor, Chulita, Damian, Hatchet Hall, Kinn, Kodō, LA Cha Cha Chá, Matū, Meteora, Pizzeria Bianco, Saffy’s, San Laurel, Sushi Kaneyoshi, Yangban Society and Yunomi Handroll. Rebel Omakase and Valle, both in Orange County, also are new inclusions, as is Kingfisher in San Diego. Along with this latest batch of newcomers is the announcement that this year’s ceremony revealing the California Guide star awardees will be held on Dec. 5.

Bib Gourmand restaurants offer a full menu of a starter, main course and dessert, making it possible to order two courses and a glass of wine or dessert for $49 USD or less (tax and gratuity not included).

all day baby
caboco
chulita
flavors from afar
lalibela
moo’s craft barbecue
pijja palace
pizzeria bianco
saffy’s
ipoh kopitiam

4 Likes

Stater + main + Dessert at Saffy’s for $49!~?

4 Likes

I had the same thought, and looked at their menu. Turns out you can if you get the cheapest things (i.e. olives for your starter). LOL technically true, I suppose, but they feel like they’re in a different price class than everyone else there.

2 Likes