Mole from a oaxacan market

Does anyone know where I can buy pre-made / partially made mole paste from a Oaxacan market?

Trying to make chicken mole this weekend.

Thanks!

1 Like

There’s a stand in Grand Central Market that sells a lot of different types of prepared mole for cooking. I’ve not personally sampled them so can’t vouch for the quality. It’s been there for a long time though so I would imagine it’s not terrible.

3 Likes

Guelaguetza sells theirs

4 Likes

I :hearts: that stand. Real deal.

3 Likes

Any mole recommendations?

Meaning which one? That’s tough because there’s a lot to choose from and I haven’t been in a while. Let me see if I can find my photos.

One is Black Mole… Sorry, I don’t have specific names.

3 Likes

Great thanks for the recs I went to the Chile secos stand in GCM and got the sweet mole and brown mole.

Do you recall if they tasted a bit bitter?

1 Like

Great @hungryhungryhippos!

I don’t recall the different flavor profiles. But honestly, I tinker with Mole to get the flavor I want. For example: I think Guelaguetza’s has a little too much cinnamon and sweetness so I’d add Chicken Soup Crystals or Stock or Butter or something to make it more savory.

Also, side note: I’m not a traditionalist - I like chicken skin, and bake bone-in, skin-on Chicken Thighs uncovered on high just until skin browns, then pour on Mole, cover with foil, lower heat and bake until done. The drippings make the Mole :yum:.

4 Likes

Boneless chicken breast is just bleh to me and I’m with you,using bone in dark meat makes the dish so much tastier.

1 Like

I use bone in chicken thighs. In Oaxaca I’ve never had chicken mole at a road side or mom and pop type place with anything other than thigh or drumsticks never white meat.

1 Like

Oh cool. I guess I am a traditionalist. :wink:

Yeah. I was not a fan of Guelagetza’s pre-packed moles. I think they even suggest to add in things like Tomato paste to balance the flavor…

My favorite Mole aside from the weird attachment to Dona Maria… is Hernan… You can get it at Alta Baja Market in Santa Ana…

https://www.artisanalfoods.com/product/best-mole/

–Dommy!

4 Likes