Monterey eats, mostly sad, at least a couple of bright spots

Poking around her on FTC and elsewhere on the web gave me precious little to look forward to for a weekend in Monterey. I’d been a number of times over the years, but food has never really been the standout feature of the trip. When I had the ex- and small child along, The Aquarium and whatever place served chicken tenders were fine, and a number of dinners were spent at places like ‘Louie Linguinis’ and, just once, because we had to try, Bubba Gumps. (Overpriced and loud. The fried shrimp were… well, fried shrimp. Not egregiously overcooked that I remember, but it hardly mattered)

This time, though, I had at least once recommendation for a place in ‘downtown’ Monterey called Cibo, and in particular, the gnocci ‘trio’ (w/ marinara, alfredo, and pesto sauces).

Alas, they had removed it from the menu when we arrived.

We tried the steamed mussles and clams ( Cozze E Vongole) for an appetizer: The sauce was watery, rather than rich and buttery, and what should have been heavy hit of garlic was more like someone had steeped a couple of cloves in the pot, and then fished them out. And the clams were rubbery.

The Bucatini All’ Amatriciana wasn’t much better. The noodles themselves were slightly overdone. Not itself a fatal flaw, but the sauce was DULL. And though they advertise it as made with guanciale, I would bet my rent that it was BACON. It was distinctly smoked, which is something I’ve never encountered w/ guanciale before. Even pancetta isn’t smoked. And the cubes of whatever it was certainly weren’t given time to render down or crisp up on the edges AT ALL. I got a thin, greasy tomato sauce with bacon in it. Not thrilled.

My partner got the Ravioli A Modo Mio, four cheese ravioli (def. not made in house) with a creamy cheese sauce and artichoke hearts. She liked it fine, but nothing to write home about.

The gnocci is still on the menu, but only with the pistachio pesto. I probably should have gotten that instead.

Disappointing. Not recommended.

Since going off the beaten path was a bust, we tried something that aimed a bit lower: The Sandbar & Grill on the commercial wharf. Low key, unpretentious.

Get the sand dabs. lightly grilled on the flat top, they are barely crispy, sweet, mild, buttery, and completely enjoyable. Hell, get them as your entree. It’s a good move. I tried the shrimp scampi (shrimp, garlic butter, a little pasta on the side. Nothing big but just what I expected) and my partner had the dungeness stuffed halibut w/ scalloped potatoes. It was unexpectedly tasty. Esp. the potatoes.

At least one person on this board in another thread recommended getting an order of the sand dabs to go and eating them over at the Dust Bowl Brewery which is just across the way from the wharf. This would be the smart and frugal move if beer is your thing.

Lunch ended up being sort of “whatever, we’re hungry” and we tried a local pizza place (Gianni’s) which is… a local pizza place. It’s bread and sauce and cheese and it’s there and it’s fine. If you are hauling children around the aquarium, it wouldn’t be the worst place to hit up and it’s just off the main Cannery Row drag…

There were, however, two bright spots. The first being Katy’s Place in Carmel. This is your big breakfast stop. Omelettes, pancakes, french toasts, benedicts, real maple syrup, etc. I had the lobster Benedict (with actual Maine lobster,) partner had a Denver omelette. Eat on the patio if the weather allows.

But the best treat of the trip was undoubtedly Noodle Bar. They have locations in Seaside (the original, with only counter seating, hence ‘bar’), and a newer location in Marina. Excellent Vietnamese. I got the BBQ Park and Shrimp Dry Noodle bowl, which plays a lot like the Jade Noodle Special at Luv 2 Eat or Sapp in Los Angeles. Vermicelli noodles, a slightly sweet chili sauce/broth to pour over, sprouts, peanuts, some salad greens, and delicious bits of pork and shrimp, all still juicy with crispy edges. I cleaned the bowl, and that isn’t something I do often. Lady Lectroid had the Traditional Vietnamese Udon, which came in a tomato/chicken/cilantro broth, lightly thickened w/ cornstarch(?) and thick, springy udon noodles and chunks of chicken. Comforting and delicious.

Also, the fried chicken wings are fried beautifully. Get either the lemongrass or the Mandarin option. The “5-spice” was a rather thin mix of pepper oil that didn’t really add much to the dish.

The next time I find myself down that way, I think I’ll do a LOT more eating in Carmel, and a lot LESS in Monterey itself. While I’m sure the Carmel restaurants are just as hit and (mostly) miss as the Monterey ones, there seemed to be more that that COULD be interesting. And at the very worst, you’ll end up eating in a place that looks like it was lifted from the Snow White ride in Disneyland, while staring at $100K cars cruising by.

4 Likes

Locals used to recommend Passionfish, which has been recommended here a few times too.

Same for Parker-Lusseau Pastries.

I started going ‘down there’ in the mid70s and pretty much stuck to Carmel.

I was able to google and find a place where we ate all those years ago. The Tuck Box. Nice breakfast in a little cottage on a side street.
https://www.tuckbox.com/

I’ve only been once a few years ago but I enjoyed La Bicyclette in Carmel

Passionfish is the best restaurant in the area. Other good places are Taste in Pacific Grove (French), Lugano in Carmel (Swiss), Aubergine in Carmel (New American) and if you are into beers Alvarado Brewery in Carmel and Monterey has good selection of excellent beers ranging from. NEIPA to sours (food is OK)

4 Likes

LOVED that place.

Just back from Carmel and Monterey–check out Pangea Grill in Carmel. Everything we tried was a winner, especially the shrimp eggrolls and artichoke appetizers.

1 Like

Think it’s been mentioned elsewhere on this site but I liked Cultura in Carmel. Also seconding Alvarado for beer, along with Fieldwork.

Happy to find this thread, even though the options in Monterey seem rather bleak, as I’ll be up there for a conference in a few weeks. Most of the meals are planned but we have at least one night free for dinner, and I’m thinking about heading to LA Bicyclette or Cultura in Carmel. Or does anyone have a recommendation for Italian in Carmel?

Also thoughts on the wineries in the area? We like great wines of course but decent wine in a beautiful setting and charming tasting room also works.

Not for Italian but Passionfish in Pacific Grove was for us (at least pre-pandemic) the best restaurant in that area

2 Likes

https://montereyfishhouse.com/

This Sicilian-ish place is good in an old-school way and a good value. Reminded me of long-gone old-school North Beach places. Off the beaten tourist path, seemed like mostly locals though I suppose it must get its share of Guy Fieri fans. Easy street parking. No reservations, four of us waited 20-25 minutes on Monday night.

My appetizer was oak-grilled Hama Hama oysters ($18), huge and tasty. I haven’t had such huge ones in years.

My main course was oak-grilled snapper ($24), nicely cooked, vegetables were not overcooked, substituting house-made linquini for the default penne was a good idea.

Dining companion’s clam pasta ($24), another good choice. Generous helping.

Dining companion’s nightly special, crab cake and scallops in mushroom sauce ($36?). Crab cake was mostly cracker meal, only one of the four of us wanted a second bite. The rest was good.

4 Likes

Had lunch at Sandbar & Grill Monday. Easy (paid) parking right in front.

My fish sandwich ($20) was swordfish that day, very good.

Dining companion’s New England-style chowder ($9.75) was so thick that it seemed almost like bechamel sauce. Good flavor, plenty of nice, briny clams.

Companions’ squid appetizer ($11.75) and squid entree with capers and lemon ($18) were both pounded from those huge calamari steaks. Tasty, a little too old-school for my taste.

Fun place, great view, reasonable prices for such a touristy area. I’d go back.

https://sandbarandgrillmonterey.com

3 Likes

Good to see they’re still there! I ate there several years ago. Had some oak grilled halibut that was a special that day and really loved it.

They also did a pretty good version of cioppino.

3 Likes

Had a reservation for Passionfish on Saturday night. We were catching up with friends so I didn’t take any photos. Everything was excellent. Fried squid were so good we got a second order.

What a wine list and what insanely reasonable markups. We drank:

• Jo Landron “Atmosphères”
  • Château de Beaucastel Roussanne Vielle Vignes
  • Château Simone blanc
  • Bainbridge, “Rouge aux Levres” Grolleau
  • Domaine de la Renardiere Macvin du Jura, the suggested pairing with the Roquefort ice cream

It’s no longer the only good restaurant in the area, but it’s as good as ever and might still be the best.

5 Likes

Our friends picked Stokes Adobe for Sunday night. Again I took no photos. Deviled eggs, duck liver mousse, scallops and pork belly, mushroom soup, duck confit, truffle chicken, all good. French-ish style, on the subtle and complex side, not old-school but not modernist either. Good service, correct but not stuffy. Gorgeous dining room at the back of the restaurant (Yelp photo above). Lively bar on the other side of the building. Free parking in their lot.

https://stokesadobe.com/

4 Likes

Thank you @robert ! I now have more, and better, suggestions next visit (and there will be a next one, because apparently I love me a good aquarium about once every 18 months or so.

And I admit, I have occasionally thought about making the drive JUST to go to Noodle Bar. Haven’t been quite that desperate… yet.

If you find yourself back at the Sandbar, DO get the sand dabs, either as a shared app or just for your entre. light. crisp, flavorful without being in your face. A lovely bit of fish.