Moorpark - Thousand Oaks area eateries?

But the namesake dish is so good, too!

1 Like

Yes she had the shellfish one and was happy.

1 Like

How is Kanda Sushi these days? It’s been years but I had many a fine omakase at the bar back when I used to spend more time with Amgen.

1 Like

Dong Ting Spring for Hunanese in Newbury Park. And
eLoong Dunplings in Westlake Village is very good for xaio long bao.

1 Like

Loved our first visit to eLoong. Prices reflect the area I suppose but all good. I think the one complaint maybe that the XLB meat was too grainy dry and there wasn’t much of a broth there at all. Loved the Bao and beef noodle soup. Chili oil they make is toasty nice. took a big jar home.

3 Likes

New developments here in Moorpark are:

M on High St opened up as the first place that would be considered upscale here. Nicer modern interior and attempt at food. Fairly basic things like salmon, steak, burger but we appreciated the effort and having a decent looking bar, though bottle collection is on par with a rich frat house. No diss. Can improve. Spendy.

Serendipity opened up also in a Ralphs parking lot. Large space. Haven’t gone yet because they have things like aged steaks for 100s of bucks and it’s just not calling me but we should go soon with an open mind and eat some of their other things

Coaches ice cream parlor opened up and is the only 1 at the moment. Shocking the only dessert spot until that were donuts and a boba spot. Now we have another Creamery being built on High St as well as a Michoacan style ice cream shop.

A new Italian restaurant is also being built on High Street.

Pho 100 opened up as the first Vietnamese here. Love the team but they’re already clearly making a lazy for what they think the people here want to eat (is it normal to have soy sauce in all the pho broths?) Numerous issues but it’s nice to at least be able to go get a simple bowl of pho near home.

I sound quite judgy I know but jesus… you already made the effort to invest and get a space and work through permits and start your business and being lazy in the kitchen is disappointing. I should not be able to cook better than a restaurant.

3 Likes

Carrara’s is still enjoying their position as basically the only bakery in town where you can go get a ready made cake and prices reflect the monopoly :slight_smile: Pretty good, though all flash frozen with the dryness that this causes. Here it is yesterday being paired with a flight from Lucas Sellers (we’re members… some nice juice here)

5 Likes

Moorpark is about to undergo it’s first real wave of big development with multiple projects approved (1 of them for 1000 units) so future will be different

Might as well use this thread to report on local happenings. Underwood is a having their annual Roma picking event.

I ended up with 120 lbs. time to get to work

10 Likes

Damnnnnnn canning all those?

1 Like

https://www.underwoodfamilyfarms.com/pick-your-own-roma-tomatoes/

Yes. Done! Was so fun to do a huge production. Leaned that large mouth jars are BS

1 Like

What jars did you end up using?

Many regular (all fine) and 5 large mouth by Pur. 4 of 5 couldn’t handle the pressure and warped during cooking.

1 Like

Friends have used wide-mouth jars with zero problems, but they just steam them, no pressure.

1 Like

That was really useful

Tested not tightening as much yesterday on garden beans and yep. It sealed perfectly. Cheers

I have little personal experience with canning, but get feedback as we lend people our big canning steamer rig.

Had a really good time at a wine focused place in Thousand Oaks called Cork Dork

No idea

This crisped spiced cauli is one of their popular items and we loved it

Ceviche was ok

She loved her Thai style fish though not sure what was Thai

definitely dug the burger… great meat… onion was too sweet but the cheese was great… something like gorgonzola.

The dork got the pork at cork dork . Very nice

meh choc. peanut butter jar.

two peach cobblers was definitely too rich

4 Likes

Olivio’s trattoria in Simi is homey

5 Likes