Morihiro - Atwater Village

Wondering if the authorities will permit any dining on premises at all after Thanksgiving, given the last few days…

Opened today for takeout.

7 Likes

perfect mosquito-free day to have a carmakase in griffith park, except the bee sitch was out of control. got swarmed at three different tables before retreating to the car. who knew bees like tekka maki so much. :honeybee: #beeseeker1999

must have just missed you again @J_L

sushi omakase ten

tekka, hamachi, anakyu

seasonal bento

25 Likes

how was it?

And is just the bento enough food? Would you recommend getting a bento + sushi?

I imagine truffle-hunting canines must have the same issue as you two.

1 Like

i wasn’t too clear in my post but the “sushi omakase ten” includes all the sushi in the first picture, the appetizer box pictured after the nigiri, and miso soup and rice (not pictured). the box of hosomaki was a separate order. and the last picture is the bento which also includes miso soup and rice.

as you can see there was a lot of overlap between the sushi omakase’s appetizer box and the “seasonal bento”, so i wouldn’t recommend getting both.

the shari for the nigiri was on the mild side, the kohada was exceptional and the highlight, the hosomaki seemed a bit rushed and uneven (which is surprising since mori-san seems to take pride in cutting his tekka maki just right), the highlights in the appetizer box/seasonal bento were the tofu and dessert. the cooked fish in the bento was too dry.

9 Likes

eater is glad you take great food pics ( :warning: circular reference)

5 Likes

Price?

Got it—I didn’t want to miss out on some of the bento bites so good to see that overlap. Thanks!

After looking at the menu, I really want to try that plain rice ball.

2 Likes

Spoiler: Mori-san’s onigiri was spectacular.

9 Likes

Morihiro cheapeats lunch hack:
(Almost definitely better than any onigiri specialty shop)

5 Likes

v 2.0

4 Likes

Not quite the same. Just as MSG is the King of Flavor, Mori-san is the King of Rice and Shari.

5 Likes

@Sgee: I know your post was tongue-in-cheek.

We make rice at home every other day or so, and I have been on the continuous mission to make the most delicious rice possible–just like I am always try to improve my coffee-making. But there is definitely a difference and value to high quality rice expertly cooked and seasoned by a pro like Mori-san. Same reason I go to Endorffeine regularly, even though I can brew delicious coffee at home.

2 Likes

i have been there in the experimenting of rice, from soaking the rice for at least 20 minutes to using filtered water, bottled water, etc.

2 Likes

(Relatively) Soft bottled water is super important in this hard water wasteland. (For rice, dashi, coffee, and more)
#thankfulforcrystalgeyser

3 Likes

@Starchtrade have you tried cooking in these? Tempted to try one of these rigs since the manufacturers refuse to offer the electronic version in the US

2 Likes