Mother Tongue

Warrior: The restaurant exists and serves pretty good food. Why it exists, I don’t know. 4.0 Warrior Points.

Peony: I’m not as positive as Warrior. I don’t want to be harsh.

2 Likes

Why it exists is obviously to support your “wellness intentions”! While lightening your wallet. Jeez, the fine print at the bottom of the menu really gets to me.

2 Likes

Warrior: It was good to know all the ingredients were “functional.” lol

Peony: They served normal fresh quality vegetables and seafood, which were all healthy. But I was quite disappointed that this restaurant was not offering anything more than other “regular” restaurants. I was initially very excited as this restaurant is claiming to offer “dietary therapy”. “Dietary therapy” is popular in some part of China done by including special herbs/ingredients (believed to be good to your body) in the food. I was expecting to see some very interesting “therapeutic” ingredients in their food and even hoping to learn about these new ingredients. But it turned out that all the ingredients in the menu were just common food. I also did not spot any special “therapeutic” ingredients used in China such as Goji berry, gingko, ginseng, gobo/edible burdock, sea cucumber, white wood ear, Motherwort, chrysanthemum, etc. The things popular in LA like quinoa, Chia, flaxseed, etc. were not included in the food either…

1 Like

Mother Tongue … is a partnership between RSG Group and TableOne Hospitality, an offshoot of chef Michael Mina’s eponymous restaurant group… Though Heimat’s facilities and services, which includes a premium gym and instructors, spa services, and communal gathering spaces, can only be accessed by club members paying $300 each month, the restaurant is open to the public daily. … Though Heimat promotes a very specific high-end wellness lifestyle that is “geared toward an experiential clientele,” says Mina, Mother Tongue is hoping to appeal to diners beyond the club’s crowd. “The goal was interesting, craveable, exciting food that has good technique behind it, has great product behind it, that has some foundation behind the thinking of how the dish was created.”

1 Like

You’ll wait for your table in a cramped hallway next to the kitchen door. Fast-moving servers whisk past carrying sea bass and spirulina cavatelli. Once seated, sweaty gym goers in coordinated athleisure pass through, visibly damp, while you’re trying to eat. Otherwise, the view from the rooftop patio is a pool that you can’t access to your left and a literal concrete factory to your right.

1 Like

Good wine list, pretty good food, nice setting. The problem is: there are too many good restaurants in LA for me to return to a restaurant with “pretty good food.” And there are plenty of restaurants with truly good food that also use “functional ingredients” like…vegetables.