Naemo - West LA

naemo is the newest korean pop-up from two nyc restaurant vets. ki kim was most recently the sous chef at blanca and arnold byun has been the maitre d’ at atomix, bouley, and emp.

i was really impressed with their first effort in LA. everything from the slick packaging, presentation, chopsticks, hospitality, and of course the taste was terrific.

each dish was packed with flavor, refined and executed with fine dining technique perfectly. the only misstep was the eggplant was too heavily seasoned that it overwhelmed the palate. i let them know and they were very nice about it and said it would be corrected tomorrow.

naemo_20210116_000514-ANIMATION

seasonal farmers’ rice - 농부의 덮밥
mixed grain rice (koshihikari, brown, forbidden). steamed turnips, braised lotus roots, sliced radish, egg omelette, gim, sesame leaf, perilla oil.

really liked the gim scattered over the rice to gave this delicious rice box a punch of umami.

seasonal farmers’ soup - 농부의 국
deonjang, turnip stems, shiitake mushrooms, shrimp dashi, soft tofu, scallions.

banchan box hot

mary’s chicken mandoo - 맛있는 치킨윙
mary’s free-range chicken wing, pork belly and chive filling, ganjang glaze.

a chicken wing stuffed with pork belly, enough said. highlight.

make sure to reheat this in the microwave to get it piping hot.

wagyu japchae - 와규잡채
korean glass noodles, american wagyu flatiron cut, carrots and onions.
incredibly beefy with delicious slippery glass noodles.

sns jeon - 굴과 호박전
round zucchini squash and shrimp pancakes, chives, brown butter, lime wedge
the most refined and delicious jeon i’ve ever had.

cali leeks - 도래미 ‘파’ 구이
charred leeks, sunflower seed oil, candied almonds, bossam aioli
even more flavor, not sure what was in the bossams aioli but it was delicous.

banchan box cold

yellowtail hwe - 겨울방어
2 days dry-aged yellowtail, wasabi, truffle salt, gim puree, kimchi
another dish packed with flavor, i didn’t even mind the truffle salt.

mushroom namul with uni - 버섯 나물과 우니
shiitake mushrooms, oyster mushrooms, enoki mushrooms, maitake mushrooms, santa barbara uni
mushrooms were great, juicy and tender. even better with the super fresh uni.

acorn jelly salad - 도토리 샐러드
homemade acorn jelly, soy vinaigrette, evo, long sword leaves, chrysanthemum, kiku flowers, seasonal herbs
a nice refreshing palate cleanser.

eggplant twigim with chili - 매콤가지
homemade chili condiment with korean peppers, citrus lace, black sesame
i was impressed how crispy and juicy the eggplant was after the drive home. this had a bit too much numbing spice though and it reminded me of chongqing chicken. i wiped some of the spice off and saved it for last and it was perfect.

https://www.exploretock.com/naemo/

https://www.naemo.la/

12 Likes

Thanks for the heads up! Placed my order!

1 Like

We have new school Filipino from 2nd gen’s. Now we will have new school Korean

1 Like

thanks for the heads up. They’re going fast so if y’all want one don’t hesitate.

1 Like

naemo is the newest korean pop-up from two nyc restaurant vets. ki kim was most recently the sous chef at blanca and arnold byun has been the maitre d’ at atomix, bouley, and emp.

i was really impressed with their first effort in LA. everything from the slick packaging, presentation, chopsticks, hospitality, and of course the taste was terrific.

each dish was packed with flavor, refined and executed with fine dining technique perfectly. the only misstep was the eggplant was too heavily seasoned that it overwhelmed the palate. i let them know and they were very nice about it and said it would be corrected tomorrow.

naemo_20210116_000514-ANIMATION

seasonal farmers’ rice - 농부의 덮밥
mixed grain rice (koshihikari, brown, forbidden). steamed turnips, braised lotus roots, sliced radish, egg omelette, gim, sesame leaf, perilla oil.

really liked the gim scattered over the rice to gave this delicious rice box a punch of umami.

seasonal farmers’ soup - 농부의 국
deonjang, turnip stems, shiitake mushrooms, shrimp dashi, soft tofu, scallions.

banchan box hot

mary’s chicken mandoo - 맛있는 치킨윙
mary’s free-range chicken wing, pork belly and chive filling, ganjang glaze.

a chicken wing stuffed with pork belly, enough said. I wouldn’t have minded a little more glaze. highlight.

make sure to reheat this in the microwave to get it piping hot.

wagyu japchae - 와규잡채
korean glass noodles, american wagyu flatiron cut, carrots and onions.
incredibly beefy with delicious slippery glass noodles.

sns jeon - 굴과 호박전
round zucchini squash and shrimp pancakes, chives, brown butter, lime wedge
the most refined and delicious jeon i’ve ever had.

cali leeks - 도래미 ‘파’ 구이
charred leeks, sunflower seed oil, candied almonds, bossam aioli
even more flavor, not sure what was in the bossams aioli but it was delicous.

banchan box cold

yellowtail hwe - 겨울방어
2 days dry-aged yellowtail, wasabi, truffle salt, gim puree, kimchi
another dish packed with flavor, i didn’t even mind the truffle salt.

mushroom namul with uni - 버섯 나물과 우니
shiitake mushrooms, oyster mushrooms, enoki mushrooms, maitake mushrooms, santa barbara uni
mushrooms were great, juicy and tender. even better with the super fresh uni.

acorn jelly salad - 도토리 샐러드
homemade acorn jelly, soy vinaigrette, evo, long sword leaves, chrysanthemum, kiku flowers, seasonal herbs
a nice refreshing palate cleanser.

eggplant twigim with chili - 매콤가지
homemade chili condiment with korean peppers, citrus lace, black sesame
i was impressed how crispy and juicy the eggplant was after the drive home. this had a bit too much numbing spice though and it reminded me of chongqing chicken. i wiped some of the spice off and saved it for last and it was perfect.

23 Likes

Looks crazy good.

more slots for the end of January are being released on Monday at 11am

2 Likes

Did not see the reservations unfortunately today. I was on at 11 too but maybe they were taken by waitlists?

I didn’t see any slots open up either.

the next release for the entire month of february will be monday 1/25 at 11am.

If you signed up for the waitlist, they sent an email for early access for the next set of reservations. Wed-Sat for the first three weeks of Feb, with the first two Saturdays already sold out. Max of 1 set for two.

1 Like

naemo x hanchic

https://www.exploretock.com/naemo/

3 Likes

TLDR: Naemo absolutely hit it out of the park on their debut offerings! Each bite has its own delicate and nuanced flavor. Very very delicious.

seasonal farmers’ rice | turnip, lotus roots, radish, egg omelette, gim, sesame leaf, perilla oil
This seasonal rice dish that consist of koshihikari, brown, and forbidden rice reminds me a bit of the gohan course I had at Singlethread. Similar to Singlethread, there are a wide range of textures here whether it’s crunchy, poppy, snappy, or chewiness. An endless permutation of fun that brings joy to each bite. I especially like the use of gim and pickled(?) lotus root that really amped up the savoriness and brightened certain bites.

seasonal farmer’s soup | deonjang, turnip stems, shiitake mushroom, shrimp dashi, tofu, scallion
Like a deftly seasoned miso soup but with much deeper and more bold flavor. Loved it.

banchanbox - cold

yellowtail hwe | 2 days dry-aged yellowtail, wasabi, truffle pate, gim puree, kimchi
More great bites here! I typically don’t like truffle with sashimi but it worked out here with just a hint of truffle earthiness alongside the umami ladened gim puree that worked well with beautiful slices of meaty yellowtail.

eggplant twigim with chili | homemade mala condiment with korean peppers, citrus, black sesame
I was thinking that fried food typically doesn’t fare well with takeout. But this turned out to be yet another well executed hit. The light and flavorful batter that are still crispy in spots enclosed and juxtaposed with the soft, and almost creamy, eggplant. Equally important is the use of mala condiment that contributed a slight kick and numbness to each bite!

acorn jelly salad | homemade acorn jelly, soy vinaigrette, evoo, chrysanthemum, seasonal herbs, wood sorrels
This ever-so-slightly sweet, tangy, and bitter salad’s more of a palate cleanser that offers a brief respite from its bold-flavored neighbors.

mushroom namul with uni | shiitake mushroom, oyster mushroom, enoki mushroom, maitake mushroom, santa barbara uni
I’m generally crazy for shroom but this soy sauce(?) sauteed shroom medley really sang with those bits of sweet uni and refrehsing white kimchi!

banchanbox - hot

sns jeon | round zucchini squash and shrimp pancakes, chives, brown butter, pickled peppers
DELICIOUS! Buttery pancake with snappy shrimp is paired with the sweet, light, and juicy zucchini squash. But huge shout out to these slivers of pickled pepper that worked really well with each bite mixing in just a hint of tanginess and heat that really elevated each bite.

mary’s chicken mandoo | mary’s free-range chicken wing, pork belly, chive, ganjang glaze, parsley
Chicken stuffed with pork belly? Is there any way that it isn’t delicious? Juicy af. And take a look at that beautiful char on the chicken skin.

cali leeks | charred leeks, sunflower seed oil, candied almond, bossam aioli
This is the only banchan that I wasn’t too crazy about because I don’t care for aioli…yet…the bites with candied almond worked surprisingly well here. However, I ran out of candied almond to pair the tender leeks and aioli real fast.

wagyu japchae | korean glass noodle, american flatiron wagyu, carrot, onion, dill
Big flavor as expected from a flatiron cut but I wish these are cut slightly thicker (like pictures shown on their website) for a better mouthfeel. The glass noodle, on the contrary, is utterly perfect with its sweet, savory, and its beautiful bouncy texture.

17 Likes

We also picked up yesterday and the meal was definitely greater than the sum of its parts. At the current price of $75 this is a no brainer.

3 Likes

hi @moonboy403

great pics. so good right?! :heart::blush::heart:

looking forward to the next menu.

2 Likes

You meant $75??

So good! :cupid: :sparkling_heart: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Would’ve been better if it was pipin’ hot but it’s takeout so who are we kidding here?! I gotta say though…flavor balance of each bite is dialed in. Looking forward to their next menu!

@TheCookie I’m positive that you’ll love it.

2 Likes

hi @moonboy403
reheating the chicken mandoo in the microwave until it was piping hot was the next best thing.

2 Likes

$95 / 2

2 Likes

Wow! I’ve had my head (and bod) in the kitchen. I missed this thread! Looks so good! :hearts::blush::hearts: even not piping hot!

1 Like

Oops no idea where the hell i got $48 from. Still great.

1 Like