5. Rib Eye Steak, Oyster Mushroom, Maggi Sauce, Lime
  6. Raw Kanpachi, Daikon, Kumquat, Soy Sauce, Scallion Oil
  7. Scallops, Squash, Green Beans, Tofu, Potato, Salted Egg Yolk
  8. Lobster, Yee Mein, Ginger, Scallion
  9. Shrimp and Eggs
  10. Wagyu Fried Rice
  11. Yau Tiu, 8 Spice, Sugar, Condensed Milk
  12. Almond Jello
  13. Octopus, Mo Qua, Spicy Salt, Fried Garlic (shout out to the scallion emulsion)
  14. Raw Kusshi Oysters, Tomato, Cucumber, Red Vinegar
  15. Ong Choy, Fermented Bean Curd, Garlic, Chili

MVP: plain white rice
Lifetime Achievement Award: Bulgarini Gelato
Outstanding Achievement in Alcohol: Ruhlman-NV, “Harmonie de rosé”

13 Likes

Almond Jello was robbed!

3 Likes

I am pretty surprised with how much you guys liked the eggplant.

2 Likes

The eggplant is cooked perfectly with a crispy outer layer and soft almost creamy inside. The spicy garlic sauce is a tease and I would’ve liked more. :blush:

6 Likes

But you would have wanted to have it with that delicious rice.

4 Likes

I’ll write a review when I get back home. Another 10/10 meal. How is this not Michelin star or one of the best restaurants in LA or best Chinese restaurant.

13 Likes

I think Michelin’s behind due to the pandemic, but I’d expect Needle to get at least a Bib Gourmand.

1 Like

Got some chili oil to go

3 Likes

Can they even gather enough inspectors to try Needle’s dinner? :thinking:

4 Likes

5k6oac

14 Likes

I did get Chow Fun to go. I wanted Wonton Noodle but they sold out

6 Likes

Char Siu 10/10. I think I got the fatty cut! Speechless.

Eggplant. I’ve had this before and it was great just like today.

Spareribs. Really tasty sauce on those ribs! I sucked on my fingers afterwards. Personally I would have liked it just a tad more tender. I am splitting hairs though.

Fried Rice. Excellent. Airy. No clumps. Wok Hei. Taste bits of egg and scallion through out. I really can’t say anything bad, this is some damn good fried rice!

Shrimp and Egg. I also had this before. Perfect 10. This is a dish that a Chinese Grandma, Julia Child, and the most snobby French chef in the world can agree…those are some damn good scrambled eggs!

Pickled Vegetables. These are usually served on a side at any Hong Kong BBQ place. It’s some damn good pickled veg! These are a great palate cleansers in between bites of char siu. I highly recommend it to eat it that way! I remember eating these from Kim Tar and Sam Woo.

Donuts. This will remind you of some really good churros. Served with some cream on the side like you would get at Don Abel or Mr Churro. There is some added spice there to remind you it’s not exactly like a Mexican churro but maybe it’s Chinese cousin. Perfectly crisp!

Almond Jello. No words needed here. 10/10.

It’s safe to say for me Needle is my favorite restaurant.

13 Likes

The chili oil. It’s kinda XO’ey with the dried shrimp. Its mild just the way Cantonese peeps like it lol. Very flavorful

4 Likes

How was the chow fun?

Leftovers with chili oil!

8 Likes

I had my first Needle experience the other night.
Charsiu (reg), Yu choy, Eggplant, Pickles, Almond Jello.
No photos because we didn’t bother to replate from the takeout containers.

As good as you all have built it up to be, it met expectations.
That charsiu is phenomenal.

Can wait for a chance to dine-in! Looking forward to trying the ribs, lobster, oysters, etc.

11 Likes

Kanpachi is now on the takeout menu!

I really need to try that dish. Tastes like canto steamed fish but is raw? Damn

4 Likes

Many dynasties back (and definitely waaaay before sugarfish lol), the southern Chinese in modern day Canton/Guangdong would enjoy a type of raw fish dish called 魚膾 (yu kui), with strips of fish dipped in soy/scallion/ginger. Glad Chef Ryan is reviving this tradition with modern day sashimi-grade food prep techniques now.

11 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/CS8gpNzPKds/

3 Likes

:weary: wonder what will they switch too next?