Needle - Silver Lake

see you there.

2 Likes

on this episode of will it caviar with @Clayfu:

salted yolk french toast - milk bread, salted duck egg yolk custard, condensed milk, maple syrup

spoiler yes

tofu chow udon - udon, tofu, shimeji mushroom, snow pea, cabbage, bell pepper, onion, black pepper sauce

pork chop bun - berkshire pork loin, milk bread, spicy salt relish, pickled cucumber

superb

red bean mochi - milk bread, red bean, mochi, condensed milk

sensational

16 Likes

loving this @PorkyBelly x @clayfu collab. Where’s @chrishei?

5 Likes

2 Likes

NEW DISH ALERT!

Inspired by po po’s steamed pork patt

Also Bar Chelou x Needle on 11/28

Not quite the PRD x I wanted but nice to see collabs!

6 Likes

Needle’s brilliance is doing something new but at the same time feels/tastes very familiar or “just right”. It’s not forced like other next gen Chinese places in NYC cough Bonnie’s cough. He’s not just putting a Chinese ingredient/dish into a non-Chinese dish.

5 Likes

I always get milk tea at Needle but wow this lychee lemonade is pretty spectacular. Super refreshing.

Minced pork rice. Definitely lighter than Grandma’s steamed pork patty. Flavorful but for certain people this can be considered on the bland side. Another small detail that Sergio does is the rice underneath was seasoned with what I suspect was the meat juices. I think some people won’t get this. I personally liked it.

Red bean is so good with any warm or hot dessert. I think all 3 different HK French toasts are 10/10 but my personal favorite is the salted yolk.

Maybe a touch over marinated but still great.

6 Likes

Some people don’t drizzle meat juice over rice whenever possible??? Sacrilege. When I discovered that “extra juice” was an option at Yoshinoya, it was, like, life-changing.

5 Likes

I know this might sound like additional sacrilege to you born and raised California folk but I’ve never had yoshinoya. Am I missing out?

4 Likes

I think if you’ve managed this long, you’re probably good.

It’s the Yoshinoya in Japan that you should try instead of the one here. I’ve been told the Japan locations is a solid and quick lunch at reasonable price.

7 Likes

I love meat juice.

I should clarify that I think for some people the dish looks bland, simple, and they probably have no reference to steam pork patty.

1 Like

You are not. Like many fast food it hits a certain nostalgia and comfort for some. If you didn’t grow up with it you probably be disappointed. I love the sticky rice, togarashi, ginger, teriyaki, etc all mixed in together.

I was going to ask in the South Bay thread if anyone knows any good gyudon.

I had friends who went to Yoshinoya in Japan and it is so much better than what we have here.

I am actually surprise they are still around.

1 Like

Ohmigod, I had to look that up! I’ve had it once. Maybe my grandmother made it???

Agree w/ the other opinions about this. It was great as a teen or (very) young adult, but I think I’d find it kind of gross, if it tried now as a middle-aged adult.

3 Likes

Maybe wadatsumi’s beef bowls? Maybe not traditional gyudon but it’s beef with sweet soy and they give you ginger.

I’ll save yoshinoya for a Japan trip possibly lol

1 Like

I’ve been wanting to try this for months and finally ordered delivery. Chicken udon, char sui, green beans and eggplant (saving that sandwich for next time!). It was UNBELIEVABLE. That’s all.

9 Likes

Those of you that have been, what are the wait times like for dinner dine-in?

I haven’t actually ate there at night in a long time but they have recently gotten popular because of the Hong Kong style French toasts. If I am guessing they are less busy at night because of that.

2 Likes

I’ve never really had to wait whenever I went.

5 Likes

rip. see everyone there today

https://www.instagram.com/p/C04S3EzOsrb/

11 Likes

Damn so unfortunate

2 Likes