Needle - Silver Lake

tastes great with maggi sauce too.

4 Likes

#SorrowfulButNotSorrowful

2 Likes

Some newer items I noticed

5 Likes

The broccolini isn’t new. I think I posted about it a while back.

As for the udon, we need @NYCtoLA to give us a report. :wink:

2 Likes

The chow udon had veeerrrry nice wok hei, and great combo of textures. Highly recommended™.

10 Likes

Classic!

3 Likes

cc: @moonboy403. i’ve seen your fried rice on IG…
https://www.instagram.com/p/CL901IaBMN5/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

4 Likes

Loss of street cred. Save that shiny tamahagane stuff for the Japanese kitchen. The Chinese knife skills only partner with this:

Chinese cleaver old

5 Likes

One for vegetables and one for meat.

1 Like

Seriously!!

1 Like

i thought it’s meant to be one size fit all? they call it the “scholar-warrior” cleaver. 文武刀. covers the entire spectrum. i recall learning to use that heavy thing to cut spring onion, as a child. thankfully i still have all ten digits.

5 Likes

when i look online for cleavers, they usually have a vegetable one and a meat one. But i’m totally not even close to an expert on knives so i would believe that what you are saying is correct. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The versatility of the Chinese cleaver on display in the hands of a master, from the classic food p*rn intro scene of Ang Lee’s “Eat Drink Man Woman”

3 Likes

It’s actually a common misconception that Chinese kitchen only uses one cleaver/knife. Chinese cleavers all look quite similar in appearance and length but differs quite a bit in thickness, weight, and use. There are many different types of cleaver besides the “scholar-warrior” variety (文武刀) which is the Chinese equivalent of the western chef’s knife. It’s popular for home use since it’s versatile…thinner toward the tip so it’s good for slicing and a bit thicker toward the opposite edge for cutting into soft bones like poultry’s. The point is… there are specialty knifes/cleaver/choppers that are commonly used but they’re typically branded under “just another Chinese cleaver”.

8 Likes

This is an interesting conversation one of which I know nothing about. But even as a “westerner” - who has yet to spring for any high-end knives - I have one for vegetables, one for meat and a couple of meat shears for bones.

1 Like

One of my favorite movies. Watched it again last weekend.

1 Like

Sounds great. Where do I get one? :slightly_smiling_face:

Chinatown or any Chinese supermarket should carry em!

2 Likes

This conversation reminds of something I’ve been wondering… Is a cute girl who knows how to wield a cleaver a turn on or your worst nightmare?

6 Likes

We Chinese call that: Wife. #HappyWifeHappyKnife

10 Likes