New dim sum recs for vancouver

Anyone have new modern dim sum recs for vancouver? Don’t say chef tony lol

2 Likes

@hungryhungryhippos Did you wind up having any great dim sum on your trip?

1 Like

We went to dynasty. It’s consistently mentioned in publications and reddit as a place that is a vanguard for top tier dim sum, it’s also michelin rated (which I put no stock in). They mostly have classics but also some more new age dim sum they don’t have cheung fun which is super lame imo because that is one of my favorite things. The quality of the dim sum was very high. Everything was expertly prepared, using good quality ingredients no skimping on seafood with filler etc, could taste flavor of ingredients, no skins of dumplings being too thick/broken or anything overcooked.

Highlights were the lemon charsui puff pastry, lava buns, hao gao, the wu kok, beef tendon, and tripe. They also made some good steamed dumpings that are pretty unique but which I don’t recall their names scallop and veggies etc. I went with family and they are not “foodies” so I’m not sure if they thought the value was there. Even for me a person that eats out quite often I don’t know if the value is there or I would be more happy with like a mid tier but good quality spot. Or maybe go with a party of 4 so that we don’t have to over order and can be much more focused in the ordering as opposed to having to appease a larger group, we had 9 that day.

What I would say is that they are super pricey, but I guess all top tier dim sum places in Vancouver are that way now. All the places that are raved about are all approaching or exceeding like 10 CAD for a 大 dim sum which to me is insane. Even though I looked at the menu the sticker shock for dim sum was pretty :grimacing: but thankfully we get that good american exchange rate right now.

I didn’t get to try any other ones but ones that were on my radar included Deluxe, Neptune Palace, and Yue. When I go back next time I will try some of those.

Just to note reservations are highly recommended you probably won’t get seated for hours on a friday, saturday or sunday without them.

@sk8uno going to vancouver soon?

3 Likes

Yes, going soon! A bit overwhelmed with the dim sum options. Will probably only get one shot at dim sum but there are so many places to consider…

1 Like

This is exactly how I felt lol! Only one dim sum the whole trip. Happy to help you walk through it.

What places are you currently considering?

1 Like

Thank you! Would love your thoughts. We are ccrrently considering mostly the classics (afaik):

1. Chef Tony
  2. Kirin
  3. Dynasty
  4. Fisherman’s Terrace
  5. Golden Paramount
  6. Empire
  7. HK BBQ Master
  8. Chef’s Choice
  9. The Deluxe (based on your mention)
  10. Yue (based on your mention)
  11. Neptune Palace (based on your mention)

We don’t need the modern/new age dishes. We are focused more on high quality classics. Dynasty will likely be stricken from the list due to the lack of cheung fun (thanks for noting that).

1 Like

Awesome list! I’ve been to Kirin, Fisherman’s terrace, empire, and golden paramount along with dynasty. I’ve heard that kirin and fishermans terrace have gone downhill even though they are some of the OG greats.

Roughly speaking classic spots would be kirin, dynasty, fishermans terrace, golden paramount, and empire.

New school spots would be chef tony, chefs choice, deluxe, yue, and neptunes. Keep in mind that the new school spots also do classic dim sum too.Based on reading online on reddit, Chef’s choice and deluxe are apparently the same owner. Deluxe supposedly has the longer lines becasue its been around longer.

If I were going to choose an old school classic spot I probably would go to Empire, Golden Paramount, or Dynasty (although that’s stricken from your list) and new school probably would be Chef Tony (just because of name recognition) or Deluxe/Chef’s Choice. One thing to note regarding dynasty is that they have great views of downtown vancouver across false bay which may add an ambiance factor that the other restauarants do not offer. That was one of my reasons choosing dynasty even tho they didn’t have cheung fun lol.

Personally my next foray to Vancouver I will probably be going to Deluxe/Chef’s Choice or Yue. Yue was my cousin’s mainland wife’s recommendation and it looks pretty good but I don’t have any other info aside from that. I am looking to explore more new age dim sum as that is something we don’t have as much in 626 or its not supposedly executed super well.

Hk BBQ master is a sui mei joint but I would highly recommend getting some bbq pork and other bbq meats to go. Specifically half fatty half lean bbq pork is awesome there.

These reddit threads may also help:

https://www.reddit.com/r/vancouver/comments/11c2h3m/dim_sum_recommendations_that_would_impress_dim/
I would totally disregard the mott32 discussion in the first portion of the thread. The poster went to 4 places in a couple days (deluxe, dynasty, empire, and fortune terrace). I think dynasty and empire came out on top for them

https://www.reddit.com/r/vancouver/comments/12i3o6l/what_is_your_favorite_dim_sum_place/

Good luck and please report back!

1 Like

Thank you so much! This is very helpful!

1 Like

NP let me know if you need any other recs for vancouver!

Thank you, @hungryhungryhippos. I saw your posts in the other Vancouver thread and took notes (Good Restaurants in Vancouver), but definitely open to hearing any other recs you have!

1 Like

Eat any Chinese food in Richmond?

1 Like

Nope not on this trip.

Some other recs. @sk8uno

Congee noodle king for congee and other hk eats

Prince for hk food and dim sum

West lake the most popular Cantonese banquet and dim sum spot in south van. We had a great family banquet dinner here

Go fish, cockney kings, fish counter for fish n chips

Vijs for Indian food.

Hyderabad biryani house. Some of the best Indian food I’ve ever had

Fritz euro fry house for poutine

1 Like

I did, recently