New "water boiled" bagels at Los Feliz Costco

When I was last there it was $18 a dozen and the frozen dozen, $9. Don’t know what it is now.

And yes, their bialy’s are with the onion in the middle. Which is how I grew up with them : )
https://www.brooklynbagella.com/specialty-bagels

1 Like

Bagel Hole, the gold standard, is $15 for 13.

As far as I’m concerned, if it’s not boiled, it’s just poofy round bread.

2 Likes

Bagel Hole may be the gold standard in NYC. The standard on planet Earth, however, is Scratch Baking Co. in Portland, ME. If they ever opened up in LA I would be 500 pounds.

1 Like

Why are these the gold standard? Are they as small as they look? I found some photos of people holding a bagel and they look smaller then Brooklyn Bagel Bakery who serves a fun-size 3-ouncer.

Bagel Hole’s bagels’ shape, texture, and flavor are all traditional. They’re approximately four ounces, which is an ounce more than the standard weight prescribed by Bagel Bakers Local 338 a century ago.

1 Like

Cool article.

I’m all in with the “crustier crust” and “chewier interior” they describe as standard by the Local 338.

I don’t need giant but 3 Oz? Yeah, no LOL! 4 is ok with me, and that’s what the Bagel Hole serves? Too bad there seems to be no way to order them shipped.

Someone visiting NY brought me back some H&H Yeah, those were not good.

Absolute Bagel on Broadway and 108th is our gold standard.

1 Like

Fascinating article! Loved reading about the Bagel Bakers Local 338.

I remember the first time I had a bagel from Goldsteins, I was stunned at how big it was. Suddenly I understood why folks were “scooping” out their bagels - this was a lot of bread!

The bagels I grew up on, at Bialy’s Bagels were, by my guess, 3 - 4 ounces.
(Here’s bit of info on Bialy’s Bagels, if anyone wast to take a wander.
http://www.bialysbagels.com)

Love this thread as now I have new places to check out!

1 Like

So… back to the original subject… I looked all over the Costco in Laguna Niguel (OC) and could only find Kirkland bagels and some that said Einstein’s on the package. The kosher bagels must be limited to the LA area. Not surprising as the kosher food shelves in our area are about three feet wide.

I think that’s the place we went to also!!! I was too young to really know, but looking at the map from where we used to live I am pretty sure!

Yeah I checked out a couple of Costco‘s this week. Years ago used to be Noah’s, then they went to Kirkland but they were still the same bagel. Now they’re labeling them as Einstein. I’m pretty sure these are the same bagels they’ve always had, Einstein and Noah’s are the same company now.

The kosher bagels (La Romme) are a separate thing - only at some Ralph’s. Check at yours, you never know!

@Gr8pimpin - from what I know of your area, and your timeline, you would have either gone to Bialy’s on Warrensville close to Cedar or, to a bagel place that began with an “A” in Cedar Center. (Amsters, maybe?) They were decent, but their selection was smaller and, they aren’t as good (to me) as Bialy’s…

@Happybaker I remember going by John Carroll when we went for bagels. We went to Cedar Center on the Sunday’s we got Lox but didn’t get bagels there. We also went somewhere there for rolls from a Jewish bakery… I think. There was a place we got rye horns. I do not think it was Hough.

I believe you went to Davis Bakery at Cedar Center for the rye horns. Not a kosher bakery but kosher style. They have moved to Woodmere (on Chagrin Blvd.) and still offer Corn Rye on Fridays.
And of those who think this thread has taken a complete wander - Davis Bakery also offers bagels :wink:

1 Like

Yes!! That’s it!! You are are the keeper of my childhood memories LOL!!

Thank you!!

I sure wish I could find rye horns out here!!

1 Like

So I created an account here just to post on this thread because it’s the only place on the internet talking about the new Costco bagels! We got them here too in the Bay Area and were very skeptical so we asked about them - we were told they make them in-house and don’t white label another brand anymore. I find them at least 10x better than the old round bread, pretty good for a California bagel!

6 Likes

So they’re Kirkland brand or what?

@Robert - yes, they are Kirkland brand. (Catholiver posted a pic of the bag, as I wasn’t quite sure.) Look for her post from May 25th.

And @spacemanbananas, my Costco told me they get the dough - and then boil and bake them in house. Wonder if your bagels are the same as ours?!

PS - Welcome to FTC, @spacemanbananas!

1 Like