New York updates?

Heading to New York first week of October. Been a couple years. Building my whole week around eating. Brooklyn, queens, etc will travel for food. Not a lot of action on this board. Any must eats these days? Also heading to Boston for a few days before, Been years since I have been to that area. Taking suggestions for that too.

Help us narrow it down. What are you looking for? How much do you want to spend?

1 Like

Honestly i am 100% open. Cheap hole in the wall to tasting menu. I have 5 nights. I am not doing tasting menu for all meals but open to higher end. Here is my current list i have going: New York dining list

Halal

Upland

John/lucali/joes

Nami nori

Nowan

Pizza

Bagel

Golden diner

Tompkins square bagels

Lunch:

Chelsea Brooklyn Bagel

Johns Pizza

Frankels

Park Italian or Pisslilo has great Italian sandwich

Dinner:

Lilia- month out reservation call

Maybe Lucali or Razza pizza

Don Angie - week out reservation

Upland- month out open table

Francie looks badass

1 Like
3 Likes

My cousin and his friend/chef partner just opened up 63 Clinton. I didn’t get a chance to fly in for opening, but I do know it’s a fun, dinner party vibe with excellent food.

3 Likes

Mostly following since I plan on going back to NYC soon and out of the loop.

Lilia was excellent. Russ and daughters is always great for appetizing stuff that’s hard to find in LA.

My favorite Italian sandwich in the city was DeFontes but they closed the Manhattan branch. I think they still have a Brooklyn branch.

1 Like

Russ and Daughters always a stop. I will check out Lilia. Oh dang well I will be doing a Brooklyn day just an eating journey. I will check out DeFontes.

If you can score a reservation, I would consider Sushi Noz a must.

2 Likes

Headed back in a few weeks for my first business trip since the pandemic. What better place to stay and work out of than Times Square. Ugh. Thats where the office is located. I think I have some pretty good options lined up near the office for lunches and dinner.
Tim Ho Wan
Ichiran
Danji
Don Antonio
Margon
Los Tacos #1
The Little Beet

For 2-3 other dinners what’s good these days? Not super expensive and not in Brooklyn/Queens. Happy to stay on the island though. I have not been keeping up much with NYC happenings for the last 3-4 years.

1 Like

Any cuisine preferences?

Nope. I’m game for anything. I usually lean towards Italian since we don’t have great Italian in the OC and I always feel nostalgic for old school Italian when I go back to NYC. But I’m basically looking for any great places for dinner.

1 Like

Rezdora (although not old school)
Carbone

Also I think Modern Korean is a NYC sweet spot
Jua
Atomix
Atoboy

Torien for yakitori
Le Pavilion

Ippudo > Ichiran

2 Likes

Modern Korean is definitely on my list. LA is still behind NYC for modern Korean but catching up. Which of these places do you like the best?

I’ve been to Ippudo in NYC but wanted to try Ichiran. Ippudo is great.

I’ve been to Carbone a bunch of times in both NY and Vegas. I probably won’t be with a big group so would try somewhere better for 2 diners. I’ve enjoyed my meals at a Parm and the other Torrisi group places. I expect I’ll probably be somewhere in lower Manhattan to fill this urge.

I might go back to some old haunts like Pearl Oyster Bar, Minetta Tavern, Barbuto in a new location, Lupa

1 Like

All 3 are different - atoboy is the most casual, jua does a lot of open fire cooking - jungsik cdc alum. atomix is the elaborate multi course dine at counter type tasting menu. I think it boils down to what you’re up for. There’s also the OG Jungsik in tribeca

Frenchette might be something to consider if you’re down in lower Manhattan.

Don Angie is a twist on old school Italian. Or perhaps explore something in the Rita Sodi/Jody Williams line up. Alfred portale has a new Italian place in Chelsea that opened just before the onset of Covid

1 Like

For modern Korean, consider Oiji. They’re somewhat fusiony, if that matters (I guess that’s part of being modern Korean), but the main point is that they are fantastic. For Italian, I used to really like Ai Fiore before the pandemic, but I think it was a few years before that. I’ve liked Lupa. Too bad Otto didn’t survive the pandemic. Another place I enjoyed, Crispo, also kicked the bucket. You could consider Lavagna, too. I’ve had some great meals there.

I went to L’artusi not long ago and thought they were fantastic!

Drinks to go are ok, again, here in New York…

Mei Lin just raved about this place on Instagram.

2 Likes

What do you think about Rubirosa in Little Italy?