Northeast Los Angeles eats

I’ve been in NELA for 5 years or so and the food scene is kinda bumming me out. I go to Hail Mary and Lasita most out here, and I make it to PRD and some of the other Chinatown spots pretty often. I’m closest to HLP but am perpetually discouraged by the food there. Typically, in HLP I eat at the ceviche truck by the library, occasionally Mason’s or Joy, every so often Hippo and Homestate.

Are there any hidden gems that I need to add to the rotation?

5 Likes

ate at Rosty Peruvian the other day. Would def. say it’s good neighborhood spot. The peruvian chicken was solid as were the causa and la copa nostra ceviche. It was our first time and didn’t get a lot of food but def. hit the peruvian food craving.

3 Likes

See, to me, Glendale is basically NELA:
Hamlet’s Kitchen
King’s Kitchen
Thaiger
Akkad
Skaf’s
Pardis
Cariaco

4 Likes

Otono, Triple Beam, El Huarache Azteca, Nativo (good HH), Chifa, Senor Fish, Oinkster, Casa Bianco, Cacao Mex., Wife & Somm, Dune, Mini Kebab (and several other kebab joints)…

4 Likes

Glendale definitely counts I think. It’s a tad far from me (20 minutes or so) but certainly somewhere I need to explore more. Had never heard of Cariaco but it looks great!

1 Like

Chifa any good? I’ve been to all of these but Nativo and Chifa, and while I enjoy them all, I don’t ever really crave any of them. That seems to be my affliction with food out here. It’s all good to very good, but it’s not really anything I get excited about, except for Mini Kabob. If they had night hours, I’d go so often.

where are you, specifically? North of HP?

Haven’t tried all these places/don’t think they’re all bangers, but off the top of my head.

Moo’s Craft Barbecue, Evil Cooks, Mariscos El Faro, Los Dorados, Kim Chuy, Mazal, Parsnip, Zhengyalov Hatz, Jeff’s Table.

*Has anybody been to Carnes Asadas Pancho Lopez, a Guadalajara style place in Lincoln Heights?

https://www.instagram.com/carnes_asadas_pancho_lopez/?hl=en

1 Like

mount washington, meaning everything takes longer because i have to get off that damn hill.

6 Likes

ill report back on Carnes asadas pancho lopez. that’s very close to me. have driven by it often and i keep meaning to go. On a similar note? has anybody been to that enclosed street taco place on pasadena at the corner of pasadena and avenue 36. (seems like i need to put in some damn recon work rather than just asking about all these places smh.)

1 Like

los dorados seem to have abandoned their highland park post and it’s a tragedy. that was my favorite weekend spot in the neighborhood. that’s a good reminded about parsnip: i always like it and should go more!

El Faro is so good and so affordable.

1 Like

Did take out once and liked it. It’s a bit pricey for regular visits. I only eat outdoors these days, not sure the sitch there. I think Otono is one of the best restaurants in LA, but I’m biased having eaten at Racion back in the day and getting to know Teresa.

1 Like

I know that pain well. Then,
Tierra Caliente (pozole esp)
Genesis
Taco Fiesta
and Carnes Asadas Panco Lopez

2 Likes

Cool, would love to know. I might stop by this weekend. The tuetanos and carne en su jugo look good. Some of the LA Taco guys follow, might augur well, might not mean anything.

And that’s too bad about Los Dorados. Seems they’ve decamped to El Sereno.

This is good timing. We’ll be living in NELA for sometime next year and already spend a ton of time in the area.

– Moos BBQ. We go in for a Friday super early dinner (Like right before 5p). Sometimes things are sold out like for some reason pulled pork. But we’ve always had a great selection of other items. This was our 5p plate two weeks ago… AMAZING.

We also go to a fair amount of pop ups… there are two great places for those… Benny Boys and 1802 Roasters.

I buy way too much stuff from Cookbook, including their take out items. Always delicious. I also really like Jeff’s table sandwiches.

–Dommy!

11 Likes

really? have they improved recently? I lived directly up the hill on Ave 44 for 17 years and I don’t remember their food being good, although my ex liked their tacos. I moved to Ktown in 2005, before all the hipsters moved to HP so haven’t tried most of the “newer” places.

2 Likes

HA! In that regard so is Atwater.

3 Likes

true— when I lived there, we ate at places In HP (Fig/York), Eagle Rock, Silver Lake, Chinatown, Glendale, Atwater, S Pas and Pas. We considered all of them close since there weren’t a lot of closer options.

2 Likes

I really like Goldburger and have schlepped there a few times from the westside.

FYI, there are two GB locations - I’m referring to the one at 5623 York Blvd.

Also, not in HP, but within spitting distance to you is Quarter Sheets Pizza.

6 Likes

Kumquat Coffee is a great morning stop

5 Likes