Northeast Los Angeles eats

oh dang… it has been years since i’ve gone

The Super Huarache Papas Con Rajas, can’t go wrong.

Porto’s Glendale, meat pies, cubano

2 Likes

Pop-up at a private residence with b&m coming soon on York.

Note ticket prices are just for the seat and doesn’t get applied to food. Still, prices are great and food is tasty.

6 Likes

Looks cool, but lowkey a wild statement given Rosetta is one of the most recommended/guidebooked restaurants in Mexico City.

1 Like

13 posts were merged into an existing topic: Restaurant surcharges & service charges: threat or menace?

They’re at Melody in Virgil Village tonight. The menu does look interesting.

https://www.instagram.com/melodywinebar/

Parsnip
Bang Bang
Kucina Filipina
Hecho en Mexico

2 Likes

Had a nice Mexican-American meal at Melas Cocina Mexicana in Lincoln Heights.

The menu is a tad strange, in that you can pick your proteins, your sides, etc and make that into a taco, a burrito, etc. I avoided that.

But the “traditional” side of the menu was really good. Delicious lightly-fried potato tacos in a salsa verde and a really nice carne asada torta. Chilaquiles were tasty, though not quite as good.

I’ll come back for the tacos de papa, the torta, and to try the carne en su jugo.

Ok a weird thing is the chef has blue corn masa and freshly made us a taco with the blue corn. Really damn good, but you have to ask specifically for it!

6 Likes

Anyone try Bub and Grandma’s new diner?

4 Likes

I might try today to snag a sandwich today. I went there last Monday (the day they opened) and stood in a thirty person line that didn’t move at all for 10 minutes then I bailed. Rarely, if ever, have I seen a place so slammed. The space is gorgeous though. If the food is as good as their bread, it will be a massive addition to the neighborhood.

Edit. In line for take out at 12:50 on a Monday. Ten person line. Inside is packed. Supposedly food is gonna take 35-40 minutes so I bailed again. Too hot to wait in the sun for that long. They need some umbrellas or something. Hope this doesn’t become NELA’s courage bagels…

Also, fwiw I’ve come at prime lunch hours both days.

6 Likes

There’s an interesting looking stand at the corner of Marmion + Fig that’s advertising guisados and tamales. I stopped by today and talked to the owner: she said she is there from 7-1 Monday-Saturday and that she changes up what she serves daily.

Did I try anything? Of course not. My bad run of luck continues. She was sold out of everything smh. But her set-up is impressive and I’m always curious about guisados so I swear I’ll swing by at some point.

6 Likes

Has anyone been to Aspara Coffee in San Marino? An acquaintance went there recently and had what sounded like an elaborate meal (either he or a friend know the owner).

I see no hints of elaborate on the menu, BUT, if you scroll almost to the bottom, I see Chicken Rendang, Chicken Sambal, and Vegetable Kurma (that’s how it’s spelled on the menu). I’m almost never out that way, but maybe someone can try and report back? :slight_smile:

https://www.apsaracoffee.com/menu

1 Like

We made it. This place is a full on breakfast spot. They even have omelets. The pork tamales were fine but the real winner was the caldo de res, served with shank still on the bone and heaping amounts of vegetables. My wife is sick (not Covid fortunately) and she devoured the caldo de res, proclaiming it was exactly what she needed.

An interesting thing here was the higado encebollado (aka liver + onions.) Not quite my jam, but maybe a siren’s call for offal enthusiasts.

Consider this a casual recommendation. Now to try the ceviche spot on Monte vista.

11 Likes

Looks like MacLeod highland park location (and Van Nuys) is shutting down (former Maximiliano space). It’s too bad, they had an excellent and very unique British-focused beer selection on tap, and pretty decent pizza and pasta to boot.

https://thefullpint.com/beer-news/macleod-ale-brewing-co-to-abruptly-cease-operations/

2 Likes

oh damn, ive never heard of this place, i woudlve loved to check it out. that sucks…

This bites. I really liked the VN location - British beers are something I always look forward to. Yorkshire Square in Torrance makes some good ones too but MacLeod had a wider selection.

2 Likes

oh no!! how sad! I was a fan of their VN location and was looking forward to trying out their new HP one…awwwww

A quick follow-up, it looks like both locations of MacLeod are now open again, though for the moment Highland Park is only serving beer. Hooray!

2 Likes

excellent! So glad to hear this!