Not really sure if it's a "me" problem

I know how to pronounce it, but thanks; that’s also a pet peeve of mine.

2 Likes

that’s great. i’m the resident Russian

It took all that was in me not to correct the guy at the Fermentation Farm in Costa Mesa who kept calling it “key fur” despite my repeated pronunciation. Like, you sell grains and make it in-house; how the hell do you not know how to pronounce it?

You should go educate them.

1 Like

Actually, Discourse has a lot built-in mechanisms. They depend on people flagging inappropriate posts.

Or when people say “cruh sont” instead of “cwahh sont”. :wink:

Constructively, going forward, may I suggest to the admins to construct a “Welcome to FTC” thread to be viewed for all those logging in to FTC for the very first time?

I recall that the old Chowhound had such a “Welcome” section (can someone look this up from the way back machine?). It included things like the Chowhound Manifesto, and a list of abbreviation we often use (like SGV = San Gabriel Valley, BH = Beverly Hills, etc.). The FTC Welcome thread can also include a brief explanation of running jokes (Sergio, Toto, Stinking Rose, etc.) and our somewhat unique abbreviations (such as OOE, QPR)… I dunno. Maybe this will help our discussions.

7 Likes

J_L, I think your suggestion is brilliant! It would help with exclusion/inclusion issues. I only recently found out about Sergio and still don’t really ‘get’ Toto. And what is OG??? :smile:

OG = Original Gangsta

A term for a founding member of something. Usually a person to be respected for this achievement.

2 Likes

Ah, in CH we had those but just were more respectful perhaps :slight_smile:

no, not really.

i wasn’t sure what this term meant either.

i caught flak for routinely using abbreviations. my stance then and now is that folks who come to this board need to understand that someone into food in LA is going to know (or need to learn) terminology like XLB no more or less than someone who’s into trucks is going to know what a hemi is. you wouldn’t expect every poster to include a definition of hemi. but as a courtesy, i think it would be nice to create a living dictionary of FTC vernacular, where folks using certain terms the most often would be expected to include those terms in that dictionary.

Deleted. Replied to the wrong thing.

@paranoidgarliclover please don’t go your contributions have always been so great and very appreciated sorry that you feel like the board has become cliquey.

5 Likes

If you were speaking Russian, kē-fər would be wrong, but it’s one of several standard pronunciations in English.

If you have to explain a joke …

QPR’s not remotely specific to this board. I think I learned it from Consumer Reports long ago.

CBS dumped the Chowhound Manifesto at some point.

2 Likes

That is not Jim Leff’s original Chowhound Manifesto. I’m not sure the original is online anywhere any more.

This!

" We’re not talking about foodies. Foodies eat where they’re told. Chowhounds blaze trails. They comb through neighborhoods for culinary treasure. They despise hype. And while they appreciate ambiance and service, they can’t be fooled by flash."

2 Likes

Off-topic but, boy, there are some names there that I miss.

2 Likes

This is the old Chowhound FAQ:

http://jimleff.info/faq.html