Not really sure if it's a "me" problem

Such BS

1 Like

In your opinion. Of course. We especially enjoy, especially when travelling, hanging out with locals in the back streets. Getting away from the “hype.”

The BS is distinguishing between foodie and chowhound - either people are interested in food or not and it absolutely doesn’t matter how they call themselves - If somebody would ask me how I would call myself regarding food I would always answer foodie as I really hate the chowhound description

1 Like

I dislike foodie and chowhound means nothing to most people. I just say that I’m pretty into food and that cooking is my favorite thing.

My food-obsessed friends and I referred to ourselves as foodies in the 70s, before Gael Greene first used it in print. I don’t think it was used derogatorily until the 90s.

3 Likes

Huh, well I guess you found the one dictionary that has alternative pronunciations, as Google, Dictionary.com, Oxford, Cambridge and even the Seattle Times all say otherwise. Learn something new every day…

Computers existed back then? :slight_smile:

Our eyes have such a strange version of autocorrect.

I’m gonna make a wild guess that this may be another example of how common usage (even if ‘incorrect’) is picked up by some of today’s supposedly reliable sources. I find it more with grammatical issues such as the way I often hear people (mostly young people) say “on accident” instead of by accident. When I go to look it up on line I find that the source says it is an ‘acceptable’ usage. I’ve come to believe that it’s one of those things that change from being used incorrectly often enough that it gains some level of acceptance. Doesn’t seem right, but hey, I guess language evolves.

It’s why I dumped CBS.

You’re actually right on the money; in linguistics, there’s a constant tug-of-war between descriptivism and prescriptivism, and everyone falls somewhere in between the two. Basically it’s the difference between “these are the rules, and everyone needs to follow them,” vs. “nobody follows the rules, so let’s change them to match what people are doing.” Obviously, having standardized linguistics has many advantages in terms of creating a uniform playing field for understanding (especially for people translating or learning a language), but it’s also important to recognize that colloquialisms and regional dialects aren’t necessarily “wrong” or “bad,” either.

Because kefir originates from and is so intrinsically linked to the Caucasus region, to Anglicize its pronunciation seems less of a regionalism and more of a case of ignorance and simply trying to sound it out from how it looks, which wouldn’t really bother me except in this instance where the person mispronouncing kefir is selling the product at a business that makes it in-house, and therefore IMO should know what it is, where it comes from and how it is pronounced.

2 Likes

Yeah, in a middle-eastern market I’ll ask for kehfeer, in a supermarket, keefur.

1 Like

Yep. Know your audience.
For instance, there are very few places I’ll ever pronounce Gouda properly.

3 Likes

You’re so funny! But yes, there are zero places in L.A. I will pronounce “kwah sont” properly. :joy:

1 Like

I just looked this up, and wow, I’m glad it isn’t a cheese I request often! :rofl:

Even fewer people know how to pronounce Gouda correctly, esp. outside of Holland.

i was thinking they might say it properly in the bronx.

1 Like

I just shared an audio/video of it on FB. I have one Dutch friend.

I had to Google the pronunciation of gouda. I thought I might have been saying it incorrectly. Now I’m even more confused. 3 different videos with 3 different pronunciations. I think it’s (g)Houw-da. Very soft g in front. This is making me crazy.

Here’s the one I shared. (I love learning something new, preferably every day.)

1 Like