November 2016 Weekend Rundown

Wow. I love pot pie. But the Bo Luc Lac looks really good too, and I’m not even a big beef eater. Good pictures.

1 Like

Hi, @Chowseeker1999. This actually is my favorite chicken pot pie in LA. I love the flakey, buttery crust and the filling is delicious with lots of chicken. :yum: Have you had it before? If not, I recommend going early in the day to get it as they sell out by evening sometimes.

Thanks, @TheCookie! Yeah, it’s a great pot pie. And this bo luc lac is very good, although my favorite renditions of the dish are at Newport Seafood and Boston Lobster in the SGV. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Cool. I’ve been wanting to go to Newport Seafood. Has anyone been to the La Cienega location? Is it as good? When I eat in the SGV it’s usually with my sister the vegetarian. She’ll go to a place that serves meat or seafood, but not one with seafood in the title :slight_smile:.

Hi @thechez5,

Ooh! OK, nice recommendation. :slight_smile: I haven’t been there yet. I’ll have to stop by one of these days (soon!). :wink: Thanks!

1 Like

I’m looking forward to you stopping by :blush:.

1 Like

I ate at Los Anaya this past weekend too!

On the recommendation of the cashier, I got pollo negro, which was good, but I don’t think I gave it a fair shake because I had some more stops before home and didn’t get to eat it till a bit later. By the time I had, most of the sauce had absorbed into the rice. Still tasty!

Also got the sampler platter, which is always solid.

And the horchata and chips&salsa are always spot on.

2 Likes

Sweet. I think the sampler is my favorite. I want it a couple more times, to figure out which taco I like best.

P.S. You ate a black chicken?

“Negro” refered to the sauce. I asked if it was like mole, and he said “Yeah, sorta, but sweeter.” I’ve been meaning to look into it further but haven’t yet.

1 Like

Just playin’. It reminded me of the movie Count Blacula. The Count turned into a bat and accidentally flew into an apartment in Spanish Harlem. The kids started swatting at it yelling “Git it, git it. It’s a black chicken”… Okay, I’ll go to bed now. But thanks. I think I’ll try Pollo Negro with the sweet, black pepper sauce… sounds kinda’ Caribbean.

1 Like

Went to Luv2eat twice in the last two weeks. I was solo each time, and ordered myself just a noodle dish. Side note: they seem to give you a bigger portion of noodles when that is your only dish.

First time I got the jade noodles, which were just fucking spectacular. The different meats, peanuts, and vegetables are perfect contrasts to the toothsome noodles. And the sweet/spicy combination is awesome, as always.

Second time I ordered a specialty on the menu called Mee Pad Hokkien. Apparently its a Phuket regional dish. Anyway, the noodles are more like (thicker) ramen noodles, in a rich brown gravy. It comes with a bunch of seafood, fish cakes, and a poached egg. At first bite, I was a little disappointed. BUt this is one of those dishes (like soon tofu) that grows on you as you go. I added a bit of spice with the table condiments. And by the end of the dish I just didn’t want it to stop. Hearty and soothing on a cold day. Highly recommended for a different kind of thai noodle dish.

9 Likes

Is that an egg just hanging out there?

Breakfast on the beach.

"FAIRFAX
cage-free soft scrambled eggs and chives, cheddar cheese, caramelized onions and sriracha mayo in a warm brioche bun"

I thought the cheddar and onion would be mixed into the eggs, but it’s a slice of melty cheddar and a plop of the onions. The eggs are nice, gently cooked. Tiny curds, though, the eggs had an almost soupy consistency, but it worked with the soft bun. I asked them to add arugula and that was an excellent idea.

This may be first breakfast sandwich I’ve ever eaten. I liked it. I had to throw away the top bun, though. I didn’t like the mayo, it’s not spicy just odd tasting, like thousand island flavor.

Next time, I’m getting this with just the egg and arugula. Minimalist food. :slight_smile:

Egg Slut, Pacific Ave at North Venice
Venice, CA

9 Likes

Republique

Pumpkin caramel donut

Burger and fries

Salmon tartine

11 Likes

Had a pretty great lunch at Gjusta. It was mostly assorted salads, but I did get a new cookie that might be my current favorite anywhere–double chocolate espresso. Texture was right where I like it–crunchy edges with a chewy give. Nice rich, smooth chocolate flavor balanced with espresso.

5 Likes

That does look really good. Good pictures too.

1 Like

[quote=“Haeldaur, post:115, topic:4543”]
cookie that might be my current favorite anywhere–double chocolate espresso
[/quote]Espresso powder in chocolate cookies & brownies really elevates things. I learned that one from Ina @President_Mochi.

1 Like

Everything about that salmon tartine was a hit with us.

1 Like

How’s their burger?

Yeah, every component added to the dish but also did not overpower each component either. Very well conceived and thought out.

It was tasty but they bombed it with thousand island. I would order it sauce on the side as the meat was tasty.

The salmon tartine won out today.

Also, line was substantial but only took 10 minutes to order.

1 Like